What AR trigger do you like for hunting?

Posted by: Scamp

What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/14/20 09:09 AM

Looking for a good drop in hunting trigger. Cant get the links on the everything AR trigger thread to work.
Posted by: vahunter

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/14/20 09:14 AM

I put a 3 pound Velocity trigger in mine. It's a very good trigger, zero creep excellent for hunting.
Posted by: liliysdad

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/14/20 09:48 AM

I have a Larue MBT-2S Flat in one I just built, and it sure seems hard to beat for the money.
Posted by: fattmallard

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/14/20 09:49 AM

Anything you like as long as it says Geissele. I run the SSA-E and have for over 12 years. Tried several others over the years, and Geissele is it.
Posted by: The Surgeon

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/14/20 11:49 AM

RRA 2 stage, I got mine for like $60-$80. It is everything I need and will only put these in all future ARís. Are there better triggers? Perhaps, but at a cost of the high $200ís I just donít know how much your gaining over a RRA. It has made a huge difference for me.

Casey
Posted by: varminter .223

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/14/20 12:17 PM

If you like a two-stage and aren't on a tight budget I'd probably go with a Geissele. However, I prefer a single stage for hunting and I'm yet to find anything I like better than the Velocity 3 lb. I've heard good things about the LaRue if you want a good 2 stage trigger for under $100.
Posted by: Hellgate

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/14/20 12:40 PM

I did the DIY parachute cord trigger job and installed a trigger adjustment screw that took the creep out of the trigger which vastly improved trigger pull and smoothness to where I didn't feel the need to replace the trigger. Total cost about 10 bucks (for the screw). I use the gun for calling and Practical Rifle (run & gun) competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeasg5HNbnw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnc43jQm56A
Posted by: crapshoot

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/14/20 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: liliysdad
I have a Larue MBT-2S Flat in one I just built, and it sure seems hard to beat for the money.

In the past I've had jewell, rra, geissele and have sold them all and changed them all out to the LaRue MBT2.
Posted by: 509welder

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/14/20 02:51 PM

Cmc 3.5lbs two stage is my go to
Posted by: 509welder

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/14/20 02:52 PM

Cmc 3.5lbs two stage is my go to
Posted by: Coyote-conquest

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/14/20 03:00 PM

Most any 2-stage triggers are good. I have a larue and also a Dirty Bird trigger I got for a good deal on Black Friday that is good. I also have a stock trigger that I updated with springs and a grip screw from Joe Bobs and it's great.
Posted by: 204 AR

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/14/20 03:28 PM

RRA 2 stage, either the varmint or the nm with jp springs replacing the disconnector and trigger spring. Have all mine set at about 1.5 lb for each stage.
Posted by: FURCHASER12

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/14/20 06:34 PM

Another vote for the 3lb velocity but also running a rock river two stage. Both good for hunting (at-least for me.)
Posted by: Bowhntr6pt

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/14/20 06:46 PM

I have perhaps a dozen or more 3 lb. triggers from both Velocity and Timney. I'm under the understanding Velocity was created by a former Timney employee?

Either way, the Velocity triggers are great. I just received one of Timney's new "Impact" AR15 triggers... zero creep, crisp break, no over-travel. It's supposed to be their "budget" AR15 trigger but there's nothing "budget" about it IMO.

JSE has the Impact for $134.00, hard to beat.

https://www.jsesurplus.com/timneyimpacttriggerar153lb.aspx
Posted by: Spidicus

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/14/20 11:20 PM

Velocity +1
Posted by: rjh

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/15/20 02:42 AM

Recently got a trigger tech diamond in a large frame AR that I am very happy with. I also have a geissele dmr that I have shot for the last couple of years and I am happy with that as well.
Posted by: steve garrett

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/15/20 01:50 PM

it depends on what you're doing as to what is best. if its running shots or moving shots IMO something with a heavier 2nd stage is desired. if its shots at not moving animals its something with a lighter second stage.

for non moving I really like geisselle high speed match rifle. that trigger is pretty expensive. if you want something cheaper that should do both fairly decent, the RRA varmint trigger is a pretty good all arounder.
Posted by: GMAN_R

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/15/20 06:36 PM

Single stage Timney, about 2.5 lbs.
Posted by: nortac

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/15/20 07:45 PM

I've tried a bunch of them from top to bottom. I currently have 5 AR's and 3 AR10's. They are all running the Rock River Arms Two Stage Varmint Trigger. For the price it's hard to beat.
Posted by: hylander

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/15/20 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: 204 AR
RRA 2 stage, either the varmint or the nm with jp springs replacing the disconnector and trigger spring. Have all mine set at about 1.5 lb for each stage.

Pretty much same here, 1st stage #1.5, second stage #3.5
Posted by: BobT

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/15/20 10:27 PM

My favorite is the Timney, I have a Larue MBT-2S sitting on the shelf but have yet to try it. I have a Hyperfire Hypertouch Elite in one of my rifles and while it has a lighter pull weight than the Timney it is not as clean and has a little creep.
Posted by: jsh

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/15/20 11:06 PM

Waiting on a Trigger Tech Diamond. Will see if it is as good as the other TTís I have used.
Posted by: NEHunt

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/15/20 11:14 PM

+1 to the RRA 2 stage, affordable and breaks just fine for me even without upgraded springs.
Posted by: JoeyJ

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/16/20 10:23 AM

Myself, I prefer a single stage, as I want a steady pull through. A 2 stage messes with my mind, as I'm feeling for that second stage and it takes me longer to get the shot off on fast moving targets.

I have the JP 3# trigger on both my AR's - very smooth and crisp to my way of thinking.

Some/most people have no trouble with a 2 stage and all I can say is "more power to them". smile
Posted by: AZDesertThunder

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/16/20 09:18 PM

[img]https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/src/Primary/290/290966.jpg?imwidth=2200[/img]

This one is my favorite-Rise Armament Super Sporting Drop-In Trigger Group
Posted by: Rhett Steele

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/16/20 09:26 PM

i like my hyperfire.
Posted by: SubpaR

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/17/20 12:34 AM

I really like the Larue MBT2. Once you get yourself used to a two stage it's great. Until then , they suck.

It took me a little time to get used to it.
Posted by: Oakhill

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/17/20 01:04 AM

JARD! Single stage, drop-in, adjustable from 1-3/4# up for $150 you cant beat it. I have a couple of them and some timneys, the jards are better and for less money too.
Posted by: JoeyJ

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/17/20 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Oakhill
JARD! Single stage, drop-in, adjustable from 1-3/4# up for $150 you cant beat it. I have a couple of them and some timneys, the jards are better and for less money too.

Oh Great! I spent good money getting a couple good crisp single stage 3# pull trigger kits from JP and now you show me where I can get a 1.5# - 2.0# single stage drop in. A good crisp, single stage, light weight, trigger pull is a must have for some of us and then they also make a drop in for the Ruger 10/22! - down the rabbit money pit hole I go. crazy
Posted by: Bob_Atl

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/17/20 12:57 PM

BTE trigger group - have a couple and would like more..

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/17/20 07:14 PM

I have never understood what there is to "get used to" on a 2 stage trigger. Its no different than working a pistol trigger off the rest....you pull till you hit the wall, then its like any other trigger.
Posted by: Plant.One

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/18/20 11:13 AM

I have never understood what there is to "get used to" on a 2 stage trigger. Its no different than working a pistol trigger off the rest....you pull till you hit the wall, then its like any other trigger.

what if you're not "USED TO" working a pistol trigger off the rest?

that probably took a little "getting used to" too didnt it?
Posted by: B23

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/18/20 11:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Plant.One

It's probably about the equivalent of people like my dad who's in his 80's and is used to shooting bolt guns or single action revolvers all his life then letting him shoot my Glock G17. After the very first round he touched off he looked at me and said what the h311 is wrong with the trigger in this thing. I said I told you it's going to be a lot different feel than what you're used to, his reply, yeah well I don't like it and handed it back to me. lol

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/18/20 01:44 PM

Not at all...triggers aren't a terribly complex mechanism. You pull them til they go bang..and they all pull a little different.

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/18/20 03:58 PM

Not at all...triggers aren't a terribly complex mechanism. You pull them til they go bang..and they all pull a little different.

exceptyou may agree that if one is used to a basic single stage rifle trigger, or striker fired handgun... learning to roll over a revolver trigger to that fine engagement point - much like engaging the 2nd stage in a 2 stage trigger - might admittedly... to the rest of us mere mortals anyway... feel a little strange.

remember - for most of the world, "NORMAL" is just a setting on their dishwasher or washing machine.
Posted by: Kino M

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/23/20 07:35 PM

RRA on budget and SSA-E Geissele for top spot.
Posted by: C. Harper

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/25/20 09:06 AM

I have three lowers with 3# Timneyís. They work great for me. I have another with a Calvin Elite by Timney. This one works fine with my 20 Tac. but is too light for my other uppers. Iím sure it is my fault but I double tap them occasionally. I love the light trigger pull but for safety purposes I had to stop using it on anything other than uppers with very little recoil.
Posted by: Bowhunt

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/26/20 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: vahunter
I put a 3 pound Velocity trigger in mine. It's a very good trigger, zero creep excellent for hunting.

^ Looooooove my 3 lb Velocities!
Posted by: NDAR15MAN

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 12/26/20 05:19 PM

Hyperfire is a very very good trigger I have 2 of them. MD
Posted by: coyote6974

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 01/01/21 10:55 PM

I've been using Timney 3# triggers in my hunting AR's for the past fifteen years. Never a bit of trouble with any of them. Great single stage triggers.
Posted by: Wyodogger

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 01/02/21 12:12 PM

I like my Timney and CMC 3# single-stagers.

"Myself, I prefer a single stage, as I want a steady pull through. A 2 stage messes with my mind, as I'm feeling for that second stage and it takes me longer to get the shot off on fast moving targets." Agree completely. Perhaps it's because all my rifles are SS, and I don't want something different to mess with my mind when I'm drawing down on Wile E. Nothing at all wrong with two-stage if they work for you, but I like consistency.
Posted by: mensajd

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 01/07/21 11:31 AM

Timney Calvin Elite. Fully adjustable trigger shoe type (several included), position, and orientation. Single stage 1.5 lb pull weight. Awesome!
Posted by: BrianID

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 01/09/21 09:52 PM

Fortunately there are many great trigger options. Personally I've been very satisfied with the Geissele 2 stage triggers.
Posted by: Zastava223rem

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 01/12/21 12:43 AM

Really starting to fade away from Geissele since Bill has gotten so money hungry but I must say, their G2S and SSA-E are great if you can find em for a decent price. I dont think the G2S is worth the $160-$200 people seem to be charging for it. Thats what the SSA-E should be normally. I paid $125 for my G2S but have seen it as low as $100 on Black friday. The SSA-E I paid $160 or $180, cant remember. Its really good too but the G2S is going to be a huge improvement over stock.
Posted by: kfreeze

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 01/13/21 08:19 PM

I've had really good luck with CMC, Rise ra-140, and timney triggers.
Posted by: kpb

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 02/27/21 09:02 PM

Really figured a 2-stage would throw me for a loop when trying to shoot a running coyote coming into a call? I'm newer to AR's and I'm in need of a trigger, and just figured 1-stage were the only way to go for a hunting setup.

Wonder if adjusting to a 2-stage trigger would be comparable to the Savage Accutriggers?
Posted by: Oakhill

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 02/28/21 12:13 AM

I agree with you kpb, I wouldnt want a 2 stage for hunting. I dont think theres any adjusting on them, the 1st stage pulls way harder than an accutrigger blade.
Get a JARD single stage adjustable drop-in.
Posted by: Txhillbilly

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 02/28/21 01:13 AM

You can use a 2 stage trigger just like a single stage trigger. Never been an issue to me when hunting.

I've got 3 RRA 2 stage triggers, and 3 Rise 3 lb single stage triggers on mine.
Posted by: varminter .223

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 02/28/21 06:55 AM

I like a single. Velocy 3# is what I prefer and have several geissele sd-e's.
Posted by: Merdit

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 02/28/21 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: kpb

Wonder if adjusting to a 2-stage trigger would be comparable to the Savage Accutriggers?

Pretty much. I switched to low power springs from JP or Kaw Valley in 2 Rock Rivers and a Larue MBT. Makes them feel fairly similar to my Savages. Works for me, but I'm sure a 2stage isn't for everybody.
Posted by: Coyote-conquest

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 03/06/21 07:09 PM

I have a 3 lb Timney competition that I like a lot. I also have an old mil-spec that I put springs and the grip screw from Joe Bobs in that is great. Makes me hate all my others.
Posted by: Nonnieselman

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 03/08/21 04:04 PM

Larue MBT2
https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/

Ive always liked single stage triggers but this one change everything. Now i have alot of them. Cant go wrong with them plus they are under $100.
Posted by: Boomstick

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 03/10/21 09:34 AM

I use RRA 2 stage varmint on all my ARs. Same goes with grips and stocks. Doesn't matter if I'm shooting my 20 Prac or 6.8, fit, feel and trigger are all the same.
Posted by: crapshoot

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 03/10/21 09:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Nonnieselman
Larue MBT2
https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/

Ive always liked single stage triggers but this one change everything. Now i have alot of them. Cant go wrong with them plus they are under $100.

thumbup1
Posted by: SubpaR

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 03/11/21 12:34 AM

If you're near me I'll let you shoot a couple Larue MBT's.
Posted by: Zastava223rem

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 03/19/21 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: kpb
Really figured a 2-stage would throw me for a loop when trying to shoot a running coyote coming into a call? I'm newer to AR's and I'm in need of a trigger, and just figured 1-stage were the only way to go for a hunting setup.

Before I tried a 2 Stage, I was apprehensive. Now, I almost prefer it. You can use em both ways. A good one will be hard to notice that wall and you could pull right through it. Both of the Geissele triggers I run I normally shoot them like a 1 stage unless I am doing sight in/load development OR I am trying to make a hit at an extended distance. Truth be told, it probably wont matter which way you go

I forgot to add, I do have a RRA 2 Stage and you can tell its an $80 trigger. Not bad, but the Geissele G2S is better for $40 more.
Posted by: Stugotz

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 09/20/21 08:40 PM

I have 5 ar15's and they all have a Geissele Hi-Speed NM trigger. The only negative is I don't have flat triggers in them.
Posted by: bigtommy

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 09/27/21 01:39 AM

I love my geissele ssae

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 09/27/21 01:13 PM

i use 3.5lb single stage casette style triggers.

i have a couple timneys, and a few RA140's

my "mil spec" triggers all have been modded with the yellow trigger spring, red hammer spring kits from Joebobs.
Posted by: willy1947

Re: What AR trigger do you like for hunting? - 11/03/21 10:35 AM

Originally Posted By: bigtommy
I love my geissele ssae

X2