Massachusetts predator hunters

Posted by: Mark2

Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/07/11 08:44 PM

Just curious to see how many Predators hunters on this site are from Massachusetts

Mark2.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/09/11 07:41 PM

Wow, don't everyone write at once. Lol
Posted by: Crimson Raptor

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/10/11 10:58 PM

LOL, Mark. You may be the only one. Enjoy the easy pickings!
Posted by: swampwalker

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/11/11 03:42 PM

Not to many northeasterners thinking about coyotes this time of year. Everyone has antlers on their minds
Posted by: swampwalker

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/11/11 03:44 PM

theres definitely a couple I can think of from Mass..BAYSTATE, Sleddog and a few more that post
Posted by: donlynch

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/12/11 07:03 PM

what you need down there is for the coyotes to take a few more fluffies,snoopies,rovers,and snookums,then they won't think coyotes are so cute. good luck
don

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/12/11 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: donlynch
what you need down there is for the coyotes to take a few more fluffies,snoopies,rovers,and snookums,then they won't think coyotes are so cute. good luck
don

Lol

Someday I would like to move to a less liberal state
Posted by: Tommy2Gun

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/12/11 09:47 PM

Like the man says; there are a few of us who like to hunt left in Mass.

T2G

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/12/11 10:02 PM

T2G

Im out in western mass, bee hearing them in the swamp behind my house the past few weeks

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/13/11 12:49 AM

I am in Eastern MA, I ahve only heard a few recently, they like to travel through the powerline areas in this suburban setting.

Good luck with them.
Tom
Posted by: massbigbore442001

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/13/11 07:24 AM

I'm here in Southern Worcester County. I guess my name kind of gives it away.
Posted by: Uncle_Steve

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/18/11 02:43 PM

I'm in the Gardener area, NW of Worcester, but will travel to hunt.

Steve

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/18/11 08:44 PM

I'm in the greenfield area. Heading to Phillipston for a camping trip. Some nice spots out that way.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/19/11 12:11 PM

Philllipston iz close by. When will you be there? I am heading out to NM to see Tony and pic up a pup, will be back Sunday night. My brotther in law, in law once removed lives in Deerfield.

We need to organize a local get together so everone can meet face to face.

Steve

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/20/11 01:59 PM

Deerfield is about a 10 minute ride for me. I'm in phillipston until Sunday am

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/20/11 06:14 PM

I'll be back late Sunday night. We will catch up later.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/20/11 10:06 PM

Steve,

lets think of a September date & place to meet...gunclub, WMA etc...

T2G

BAYTSTATE where are you?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/21/11 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Tommy2Gun
Steve,

lets think of a September date & place to meet...gunclub, WMA etc...

T2G

BAYTSTATE where are you?

Im game

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/24/11 03:51 PM

Sounds like a plan. Where are the majority of the folks located? I will travel to get there. If you are looking for some place in central MA we could get together at my club in Leominster or I could look around for a restaurant or bar. There is also a wild life management area close by that has a picnic area, Barre Falls Dam on Rt 62 In Barre. There is also a pizza place in town that has a room in the back and I could see about reserving that. Hubbardston is only about 6 miles off of Rt 2. It would be fun to get together. I go to Maine with the guys over at Northeast Predators, a good bunch of guys to hang with, it would be nice to get a group together close by to hang with.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/24/11 08:16 PM

I'm about a 35 minute ride from Phillipston. Not sure how far that is from Hubbardston. I'm located between Amherst and Greenfield in good Ole Montague.
Posted by: BAYSTATE YOTE

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/24/11 08:46 PM

WHOA!!! A predator hunters round table!!I have not forgot about you guys,I lost my login info!! I am willin to meet you guys for a pizza and some yote talk any time. I am also willin to teem up with any of you guys for a hunt.Mark2 and I teamed up with each other for some hunts and we learned from each other and we now keep in touch on yotes and chucks,great guy!!He also turns out knows my Dad,small world!! Well keep me posted!! Shane

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/25/11 10:47 AM

Phillipston is about 10-15 minutes west of me, over back roads. Gardner is 5 minutes north and Athol is about 15-20 North West of me. All three, Phillipston, Gardner, and Athol are right off of Rt2. Easy access and easy to find a place.

If we wanted to head to Southern Worcester county, Sturbridge is easy, about 35 minutes for me and right off the pike.

I will travel, so if Northern Worcester county is to far for the first meeting that's cool. I am self employed and drive 75-100 miles every day, so give me a GPS and an address and I will be there.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/25/11 10:55 AM

Same,with me...Let me know the time and place. Shane

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/25/11 04:23 PM

Shane,

I knew you'd be in on this. Count me in. Sept is looking like a quiet month for me. Northern/Southern Wor, Gardner are all a quick run on 495 or Rte2.
OOOppsie..Sept 17th looks like I am out of town...all else in play.
T2G

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/25/11 07:35 PM

Sounds good!! Lookin forward meeting you guys!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/29/11 05:49 PM

Hope everyone here made it through the storm OK. Here in North Central MA it turned out pretty well, lots of small branches and some dead wood came out of the trees. Found a few leaks in the garage, but other than that we are ok.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/29/11 08:23 PM

Same here Steve, hope all of our "crew" is well!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/29/11 09:46 PM

Good here in Montague. But the hill towns got hammered bad.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 09/01/11 07:35 PM

Well after a few days to dry out, How is everyone doing?

Do we want to try and set something up for Saturday 9/10?

Steve

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 09/01/11 07:39 PM

Soinds good to me. Where and what
Time

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 09/01/11 09:13 PM

What are you high????? That is the first saturday of early goose season!! scared
Lets pick a Sunday afternoon or weekday night,that way we dont burn a hunting day! cool

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 09/02/11 12:30 PM

A Sunday afternoon would be good, I think during the week would be tough for some people due to distance and work issues, but I am game for either.

Steve

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 09/02/11 06:23 PM

Sundays better here, works busy and kids back in school

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 09/05/11 05:26 PM

Looks like we should try for next Sunday the 11th. Where should we meet?

Steve
Posted by: PrairieDogs

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 09/06/11 10:43 PM

Let me know if you're meeting...I'll try to make it.

Don
Raynham MA

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 09/07/11 09:05 AM

Hey Don,
Glad to see you on here. Did you thaw out from last January in Maine yet?

Steve

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 09/07/11 07:40 PM

hey PrairieDogs my name is don also. i grew up in Taunton and moved to Maine 24 years ago. are you finding coyote hunting in your area ? i'm very interested in hearing how the yote hunting is in my old neighborhood. never did it back then, there weren't any to speak of. i sure do it now though. my son lives on the cape and has a bait and gets a few down there.i put in a lot of time for the sightings i get. i do better off my bait.
don

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 09/14/11 10:58 AM

Where did everyone go?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 09/18/11 09:10 PM

Still around, had to deal with some health complications with my wife and a new toy acquisition. Should be closing the deal this week and wife is out of the hospital after 10day stint.

T2G

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 09/19/11 08:09 AM

Hope everything is OK with the wife.

Steve

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 09/19/11 08:40 PM

Thanks Steve
Posted by: harvy

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 09/26/11 08:42 PM

Down on the Cape, good to see you boys out here, Harv.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 09/27/11 07:41 PM

I've got some in-laws down in Sandwich. Glad to see more Mass guys on here.

Steve
Posted by: masshunter

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/01/11 04:49 PM

I'm from Holyoke, hunt Hampden/Hampshire county mostly. Work, fishing,& wife kept me busy all summer. Saw a small bobcat
from my bear stand so I'm getting the bug. Took the first
part of the trapping course thurs pm, went home and looked at all my gear from the 60's, guess the only thing thats still legal are the strechers.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/01/11 04:54 PM

Hey Charlie!! How you been??
I hear you on the trapping thing!! Ha aint worth the gas to do that nowadays!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/02/11 11:59 PM

Oct 23, Bass Pro Shop Foxboro...12noon...of course there is NO Patriots game this date.

T2G

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/14/11 08:48 PM

Good luck in the am my fellow Massachusetts hunters. And everyone else too. smile

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/21/11 07:04 PM

Ok we needed a bump.

I am still looking at going Sunday, to Bass Pro. if you see a guy with an orange ballcap & black zip front fleece jacket, that be me..11:30 looking to stop in pick up a few things, eat/have a drink.

Tom
Posted by: Brian Downs

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/22/11 08:56 PM

Hey guys I am on the cape and will be hitting it hard in the upcoming few weeks. Should be some good hunting!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/22/11 11:07 PM

Brian

A big shhsssss, the Cape is my secret honey hole..I get to the Sandwich area 2X a month & have a good streak going on the dumb ones. I have taken about doz. in the area and boy they are some gullible doggies.

Best of luck this season.

T2G
Posted by: blackswamp

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/23/11 12:01 AM

I was station at Fort. Devens back in the 80's.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/23/11 07:33 AM

Tom
I can not make it today,I have a bad cold that if I dont rest will turn to something worse.Regards!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/23/11 04:43 PM

I just drove by a field where I hunt and saw a coyote just sitting there on the edge of the field looking at something. So I pulled in with my binos and saw he was watching a bunch of turkeys milling around about 60 yards from him. Man I wish we could hunt Sundays here, my truck was about 120 yards from him.
Posted by: BUCKLAND

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 11/22/11 10:40 AM

CHECKING IN, NEW TO THE SITE. BAYSTATE YOTE, CONGRATS ON THOSE TWO MONSTERS YOU SMOKED. YOU SHOULD GET THEM IN THE LOCAL PAPER TO SCARE SOME OF THE BUNNY HUGGERS!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 11/22/11 02:51 PM

Ya,right next thing you know I will have OCCUPY WALL STREET or some other types at my door protesting!! I like to keep a low profile!! The less they know the better!!! LOL!! lol

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 11/23/11 07:37 PM

Tommy2gun

Look for Sandwich to show up on foxpro's Furtakers TV show this season. We filmed on the cape in Oct and killed some local dogs.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 11/23/11 08:11 PM

Great job,Brian!! thumbup1

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 11/24/11 02:24 PM

Thanks Brian, I will be sure to try & catch that one.

T2G

Happy Thanksgiving guys.....

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 11/25/11 09:00 AM

I will be giving some seminars this Jan. at Bass Pro shops in Foxboro. You guys should come by and hang out. I always like putting a face to screen names!
Posted by: yotecontrol

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/14/11 06:26 AM

Hey guys. I'm in eastern mass, right near Bass Pro.

Will be heading over for the show again in January, Brian. Good info last year.

Paul
Posted by: Gnetter

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/15/11 07:06 PM

Hi All,

On Cape Cod here.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/15/11 07:23 PM

Thanks Paul should be fun!!
Posted by: deerslyr1

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/15/11 08:36 PM

hey guys checking in... i live in petersham and have a camp in warwick, most my yote hunting will be in warwick with some in petersham,athol ,orange and royalston. Just got a new 243 just for the yotes! now we need some cold weather and snow....

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/16/11 07:45 AM

DeerSlr
Nice to have you on!!I grew up in North Hadley,know your area well.I have a friend I hunt with lives in Richmond N.H.
Lot of yotes up there!! Shane
Posted by: bbahunter

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/27/11 07:46 PM

Hey Guys,

South central mass here. Once deer season is over, time to put the time in for the yotes.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/28/11 12:13 PM

Gnetter,

"Tuna" my summer obsession yum... 44 Ocean Yacht out of Newburyport - La Vida, see you out there.

T2G

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/28/11 12:15 PM

Brian,

Do you have a schedule on your show dates @ BassPro?

I really would like to make one this year.

T2G

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/28/11 05:25 PM

Hey Deerslyr1,
I'm in Hubbardston, lets hook up after the new year for some calling.

Steve
Posted by: 21grains

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/29/11 08:18 PM

Hi Yotecontrol I'm near Basspro Foxboro too.Where do You Hunt/Shoot,I Shoot PCP's now mostly in Plainville Ma.What Day/time do You Guys get together at Basspro.Hope to meet some Predator Hunter's like Myself.Thank's Paul.....Franky

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/29/11 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Uncle_Steve
Hey Deerslyr1,
I'm in Hubbardston, lets hook up after the new year for some calling.

Steve

sounds like a plan! i'm sorta new to yotes, all my yotes previous have been incidental while deer hunting.
Posted by: Gnetter

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/30/11 06:58 PM

@T2G Do you fish Georges?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/30/11 08:18 PM

I've got brother inlaw who lives in warwick, I'm not that far away here in liberal country known as Montague, I'm the only house with old glory flying proud. Lol

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/30/11 09:42 PM

LOL,thats you!!! I think they Montagueites are assembling at common to come to your house and reeducate you,I think they may have the Buddist Monks as back up!!
Holy Cow, my cousin lives in Warwick,so because there are only three people living there they must know each other!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/30/11 10:15 PM

We had a 70 year old man bit by what they believe was a rabid fox two weeks ago in turners falls. They sent the fox to Boston to be tested. I saw a sick looking coon last Saturday waddling around under my camper, when I came back out with my 22 he was gone. I'm sure my neighbors would have loved me shooting a raccoon in my front yard. Lol

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/31/11 06:34 AM

Tommy2gun the seminars will be part of the predator weekend Jan 7th and 8th I will post some info this weekend. Hope to meet you there.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/31/11 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark2
I've got brother inlaw who lives in warwick, I'm not that far away here in liberal country known as Montague, I'm the only house with old glory flying proud. Lol

funny....warwick i would say with has more yotes than people. i set out my bait pile today( deer carcasses i got from the local butcher) also set out my driveway alarm over it. i'll be watching monday am....
Posted by: massbigbore442001

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/01/12 01:00 PM

Now that muzzleloading season is over I intend to set up some baits in the Douglas area. I have one big coyote on my trail camera that needs to be Contenderized.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/01/12 11:48 PM

Maybe once or twice but, not a regular thing. Last couple of years been sticking close to home, SW Corner, GOM-Jeffries etc. This year I hope to get in a Canyon Trip based out of ACK.

T2G
Posted by: ecaval

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/10/12 09:09 PM

Hello, I'm in Plainville. New to PM and yote hunting, called in a nice female last year (see avatar) on my second hunt. This season has been slow. I have been out three times, did call in one yote but circled down wind no shot opportunity. Called in a couple of reds last weekend but let them walk. I have learned a lot from PM members over the past year. Thanks, Ed
Posted by: LARUEminati

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 06/13/13 09:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Uncle_Steve
Sounds like a plan. Where are the majority of the folks located? I will travel to get there. If you are looking for some place in central MA we could get together at my club in Leominster or I could look around for a restaurant or bar. There is also a wild life management area close by that has a picnic area, Barre Falls Dam on Rt 62 In Barre. There is also a pizza place in town that has a room in the back and I could see about reserving that. Hubbardston is only about 6 miles off of Rt 2. It would be fun to get together. I go to Maine with the guys over at Northeast Predators, a good bunch of guys to hang with, it would be nice to get a group together close by to hang with.

I went out in the Barre/Oakham area this year a few times and seen some of the biggest moose tracks Iíve ever seen in knee deep snow, with some GIANT dog tracks right along side the moose tracks following it through the woods all by itself. Had to be a giant dog for its foot to make it all the way to the ground in that deep of snow and it was tracking a moose all by itself.
Posted by: ac289fia

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/07/14 11:03 AM

Hello, I'm from Fairhaven and new to the forum. Shot this yearling female coming back from the bait pile yesterday am. I use my deer carcasses. I've had pretty good luck this way.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/07/14 11:06 AM

Great job,AC!!Where the heck is Fairhaven? unsure

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/07/14 11:28 AM

Thank you, I've taken them from my deer stand on the edge of a swamp, during both, archery and shotgun.
It's in Zone 11, down by the Cape. On the other side of New Bedford harbor, if that helps?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/07/14 11:33 AM

Maybe this will help, it's the area outlined in red:

Posted by: twhitey

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/07/14 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTE
Great job,AC!!Where the heck is Fairhaven? unsure

Lol he is in a nice place down there.I was down there doing a little scouting have a friend of a friend saying he hears them all the time.Nice country but hard to get permission I hear

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/07/14 01:06 PM

Yah now I remember,I raced a few times in the Miles Standish forest (Hare Scrambles,dirt bikes)but the libs got that shut down..
Way to wackem AC!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/07/14 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: twhitey
Lol he is in a nice place down there.I was down there doing a little scouting have a friend of a friend saying he hears them all the time.Nice country but hard to get permission I hear

I hear 'em (and see them) in my backyard, problem is that I can't hunt them here.
I have a friend who has a parcel of private/posted property about 5 minutes from the house that I hunt exclusively with him. Check out this litter of 7 I got this spring on one of my trail cams. I have a pic of a coyote dragging a newborn fawn also, just can't seem to find it right now. frown

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/08/14 05:18 PM

Nice to see your future up and comers....There has to be a good pile of fox down there with the habitat you guys have...Gd luck keep the pics coming.We will be heading down that way in a couple of weeks.We have two spots ready to go just waiting for shotgun to close.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/08/14 07:54 PM

Not seeing the Grey's like I used to in years past. I'll get one on the cameras occasionally. What I do get a lot of pics of, is Fishers.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/10/14 03:00 PM

Check this out boys!!!! Our old friend Jonathan Way!!

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...022#Post2756022

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/10/14 06:47 PM

Hopefully that bonehead won't ever hunt again....

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/10/14 07:26 PM

I highly doubt it. A convicted felon possessing a firearm. Isn't that supposed to be a "mandatory" jail sentence in MA?

He supposedly had another gun in his vehicle.

He had an antique double barrel muzzleloader.
From MA HUNT/FISH:
1. During the "primitive firearms" (muzzleloader) part of the open deer season, muzzle-loading primitive firearms must be of a type similar to those in common use during the mid-1800s, and which meet the following criteria:
(h) contains only one usable barrel; in the case of primitive firearms with double barrels, one barrel shall be made inoperative by removal of the nipple and hammer) hence the two separate shots, one in the hand and one in the back/base of neck.

He shot at 5 pm, 15 minutes after legal hunting hours.

The "hunting" knife he was carrying, was a switchblade.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/10/14 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: ac289fia
I highly doubt it. A convicted felon possessing a firearm. Isn't that supposed to be a "mandatory" jail sentence in MA?

From MA HUNT/FISH:
1. During the "primitive firearms" (muzzleloader) part of the open deer season, muzzle-loading primitive firearms must be of a type similar to those in common use during the mid-1800s, and which meet the following criteria:
(h) contains only one usable barrel; in the case of primitive firearms with double barrels, one barrel shall be made inoperative by removal of the nipple and hammer)

The knife he was carrying was a switchblade.

He won't see a Ma or any other hunting liscence..
He should see some jail time..
Just a clown all around.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/10/14 08:01 PM

He won't see a Ma or any other hunting liscence..
He should see some jail time..
Just a clown all around.

Don't forget, his is still "liberal" Massachusetts, who knows what the [beeep] will happen. Elizabeth Warren might claim this is the only way he can feed his family. thumbdown

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/10/14 08:03 PM

This criminal has given the anti-hunters a golden propaganda victory,you can bet that this will be used against us good hunters.
You bet that Jon Way will play this up bigtime also(he is lucky he was not killed)!

Any of you remember his article about coyote hunters? Well it had about as much truth in it as an Obama speech has...

Here is his take on the extended season in 2007,by the way I dont hate coyotes,I think they are a worthy game animal,but they are an Invasive species to this area....something that is loat on people like this author..

http://www.easterncoyoteresearch.com/coyote-management-and-hate/

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/10/14 08:32 PM

For those who want to put a "face" with the "name":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfuXdHoJCqE

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/12/09/cape-cod-hunter-arraigned-in-accidental-shooting/
Posted by: duckstopper

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/11/14 12:05 AM

Baystate:
I'm a little confused by this part of the article:
Houle faces several charges, including unlawful possession of ammunition, unlawful possession of a firearm and careless or negligent use of a weapon causing injury.

Maybe this guy is a felon and not allowed to own a real firearm? At the beginning of the article it mentions a muzzleloader, but also 2 shots.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/11/14 06:33 AM

Originally Posted By: duckstopper
Baystate:
I'm a little confused by this part of the article:
Houle faces several charges, including unlawful possession of ammunition, unlawful possession of a firearm and careless or negligent use of a weapon causing injury.

Maybe this guy is a felon and not allowed to own a real firearm? At the beginning of the article it mentions a muzzleloader, but also 2 shots.

From MA HUNT/FISH:
(h) contains only one usable barrel; in the case of primitive firearms with double barrels, one barrel shall be made inoperative by removal of the nipple and hammer) hence the two separate shots, one in the hand and one in the back/base of neck.

The "hunting" knife he was carrying, was a switchblade.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/11/14 10:16 AM

Remember, we're in Massachusetts. LOL
I think the Bartley-Fox Law gives you a mandatory year in jail for having a gun without having an FID or LTC. Now, have you ever heard of anyone going to jail for this crime? Every week when I read the Springfield Republican paper I see where someone from Springfield or Holyoke is picked up with a handgun, but no LTC. I can't recall reading about any of these people actually going to jail for that specific crime.

Carrying a switchblade could cause you a problem.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/11/14 10:26 AM

The gun laws are not for the criminals. Just us law abiding people...

Duck
I am in those cities almost every week,what crapholes!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/16/14 06:57 AM

Anybody else having in luck in Zone 11? Haven't seen them come into the baits in over a week, probably too many wounded/dead deer on the ground after the last big push from the Orange Army last week?

Only thing on the cameras are Fisher's and the occasional Grey.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/16/14 08:09 AM

Fishers are definitely a pain. In Zones 1-4 it seems they find your bait in a couple days. Tried calling a couple spots out this way yesterday. Still muzzleloaders on the move and any place with snow is all tracked up by Saturday's deer hunter's grand finale.
Posted by: mr. locksmith

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/16/14 01:46 PM

Had some luck in 12 mid November don't usually head that far since I live in Springfield. Hoping for a cat this weekend back to where we called one in second week of the season. Also just wondering is someone on here hunting the chicopee river? I see a rig parked a lot early morning with a star on the front doors always wondered who it was and what they're going for cause I kno there's yotes here in chicopee.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/16/14 07:02 PM

You have coyotes in Springfield two,four legged and two...In 2007 the state bioligist told me that the coyote densities are greater in the urban areas due to dumpsters,rats,cats and small dogs,they are opertoonists... my cousin is an Ironworker and he said they would watch the coyotes eating from the dumpster in downtown Cambridge while he was framing off a building..

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/16/14 08:17 PM

Yea they're everywhere, there's more coyote in mine and larueminatii's back yard then I've ever seen but it's not easy to legally hunt within the surrounding areas due to bi law and other restrictions as you probably kno already. Nothings ever easy in the east

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/17/14 06:37 AM

Originally Posted By: mr. locksmith
Nothings ever easy in the east...

...or in Massachusetts. scared

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/17/14 12:32 PM

...or in Massachusetts. scared [/quote]

True story

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/18/14 06:33 AM

Don't know if it is true or not, but someone told me that it's mating season for the Yotes right now and that's why they're not coming to the baits or calls.
Do you guys think that's why were not seeing them lately? wub

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/18/14 08:56 AM

look up "CAPE COD TIMES" TO VOTE TO CONTINUE COYOTE HUNTING ON THE CAPE. RIGHT NOW IT'S 49%TO48% THIS IS QUITE IMPORTANT

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/18/14 09:35 AM

I voted a couple days ago when the anti vote was 5% higher. Don't know if it will help or not, but the more of us that vote for hunting the better.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/18/14 09:41 AM

Do you guys think that's why were not seeing them lately?

IMO it's the disruptions from deer hunters. From what I've seen this week there's still a good number of muzzleloaders out there. As they drop out things should get back to normal. I think late January to early March is the breeding season.
Posted by: You got em!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/18/14 10:28 AM

It's normally February. THE LOVE MONTH!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/18/14 11:41 AM

Mating season is January-February.I was out last night and 3/5 spots I had them howling back at me up wind from our set up.There was no way they had got down wind with where we were set up.I threw the kitchen sink and toilet with no takers.I used both volcals and distress sounds.

I personally see the hunting pressure keeping them shy from committing and there is plenty of gut piles,Wounded deer still available.

Once the deer season closes and we get some colder temps it should pick up.

I started calling at nights since opening night and this has been far my best season we were getting at least 1 a night and if no shots atleast seeing them respond to both vocals and distress.
Last Saturday night we did have a taker but he came into a field upwind then circled half the field and went into wood line so I can only assume he went to school on us.

Keep after them don't over hunt your spots it will happen.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/18/14 11:56 AM

What vocals have been working for you. I haven't had a response to a call yet. My buddy had a buck walk by his camera early evening last night and found it dead this morning. Nothing but hair and bones so they are def on the move and hammering deer already

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/18/14 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: donlynch
look up "CAPE COD TIMES" TO VOTE TO CONTINUE COYOTE HUNTING ON THE CAPE. RIGHT NOW IT'S 49%TO48% THIS IS QUITE IMPORTANT

I've been searching their website for the past half hour with no luck. Tried Googleing it also. mad

Can you post a link?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/18/14 02:36 PM

I have had good luck with Female sub howl,Lone howl,Coyote pair duet,Female yodel.

Female Sub howl was working early on in the season had a pair come into that set in 2 mins.I know they are close by on that set but didn't expect them to come that fast and came up wind the whole way in.

I know a lot of guys say they always come in Downwind I find in my areas that we hunt and have scouted hard and sit where we try and put obstacles and use the lay of the land fences etc that they will and often will run right across a field from up wind.I know we do get busted and prolly don't even see the few that get educated.Do you guys see a lot of Coyotes do the same.

Who has great luck on your local golf courses man We love them they hold so much game it's fun I brinng my Benelli instead of clubs...

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/18/14 05:48 PM

I just tried, but couldn't locate the article. Could you post a link.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/18/14 09:00 PM

http://www.capecodtimes.com/article/20141212/NEWS/141219822

I couldn't find the poll, but here's an article about this topic in the Cape Cod Times.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/19/14 02:01 PM

Yeah, same here, that's why I asked for a link. Every page of the Cape Cod Times I search, only has this poll:

TAKE OUR POLL:
President Obama ordered the restoration of full diplomatic relations with Cuba - and the opening of an embassy in Havana for the first time in more than a half-century. Do you support these moves?
O Yes I do
O No I do not

Submit Vote VIEW RESULTS

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/19/14 03:14 PM

Yeah, same here, that's why I asked for a link. Every page of the Cape Cod Times I search, only has this poll:

TAKE OUR POLL:
President Obama ordered the restoration of full diplomatic relations with Cuba - and the opening of an embassy in Havana for the first time in more than a half-century. Do you support these moves?
O Yes I do
O No I do not

Submit Vote VIEW RESULTS

It was a daily poll, I didn't see anything about the final results though. It was 49-48 them last I saw.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/25/14 11:51 AM

I want to wish a very, Merry Christmas to all my fellow Massachusetts hunters. thumbup1
Posted by: Squatch413

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/28/14 03:39 PM

Just wondering what you guys are running for rigs at night here in the commiewealth? Shotguns with red dots? VR barrel? Ghost rings? Scoped 22s? Irons? Thanks guys.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/28/14 04:59 PM

I was using a scoped 22 but just picked up a 17 HMR and I am in the process of building a DIY Night Vision set up for it.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/28/14 06:46 PM

I was using a scoped 22 but just picked up a 17 HMR and I am in the process of building a DIY Night Vision set up for it.

I was under the impression that 17hmr is a no go at night because it's based off a 22wmr therefore wouldn't fit in a 22lr chamber.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/28/14 07:23 PM

A 17 Hmr is a No Go at Night.It says the Chamber cannot be larger than a 22lr.

I use a scatter gun with a Aimpoint comp3 dot sight.and a pvs14 mounted on the melon..

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/28/14 08:04 PM

No more boom boom for these mamasons!

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...538#Post2766538

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/28/14 10:08 PM

Fur Down...sweet

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/29/14 05:31 PM

A 17 Hmr is a No Go at Night.It says the Chamber cannot be larger than a 22lr...

I've gotten different answers on that, IDK ....I guess the DIY Night vision goes on the 22 LR then. thumbdown

NICE JOB ON THE DOUBLE BAYSTATE YOTE!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/29/14 05:47 PM

I had a Mass Game Warden tell me straight up that the .17 Fireball and Remmy were legal, I just nodded knowing he was dead wrong, I was not going to argue..
I guarantee you guys, in twenty years you will not be able to hunt in this state if the present anti hunter and gun culture continues to infect our citizens thinking..

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/29/14 06:00 PM

I was told by a VERY reputable source that the previous Director of Wildlife had made a ruling a few years back allowing the 17 HMR.... who the heck knows, cursing this is Massachusetts after all.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/29/14 08:02 PM

Still might as well be a pea shooter,I can not stand the thought of a coyote dying a slow death...from the 22LR or 17 HMR.. At least with the shotgun you can hit them when they come in fast,and with some real energy...

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/30/14 05:00 PM

Just an FYI. I made a call into MA Environmental Police, 251 Causeway St., Boston, MA and inquired about the .17 HMR for night hunting. The receptionist?? operator?? asked for my name, address and phone number and I was told I would get a call back. Well, I just received a phone call from them and was told YES, the .17 HMR is legal for night time use in MA.
Time to practice my headshots. thumbup1

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/30/14 05:29 PM

Before you get to excited ask another person from that department I bet you get a different answer.Secondly ask it to be put on paper and carry it with you.Third why use a under sized cartridge on them head shots at night are tough not saying you can't do it but you have so much more of a chance with a scatter gun.Please don't take this the wrong way I had a Custom 17 Hmr made for me by Volquartsen customs and moved on after to many spinning off into the next zip code with not a drip of blood.

Once again not trying to rain on your party.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/30/14 05:36 PM

He actually called me from his cell phone, I saved his number for "future" issues. tongue_smilie

He said what they don't want is guys out at night with 5.56's or 30-06's and other center fire rifles. unsure

...also, you are not raining on my parade at all. I hunt over bait from tree stands using a night vision scope in a tight swamp. I was using an Aries 238 on my 22LR thumbdown but I sold it and am hoping my DIY setup is better?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/30/14 06:08 PM

The only reason I chimed in was when the Hmr came out I did what you did today I called the state and a local warden called me back and I will never forget his comment last I was in high school 17 was smaller than 22 but a Hmr is larger than a 22lr in regards to the Chamber and I went off and running to build a custom Hmr.Then I was at a seminar and had Fish and game stand up and stated Hmr are not legal so I just sold it.Like you said head shots or even perfect heart shot work look at my profile pic that yote is from the maine-Canada border one shot straight through the chest went 2'Drt.

Good luck.......keep us posted on your succes

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/30/14 06:23 PM

Thanks twhitey, and too you also. Look forward to some DRT pics!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/31/14 09:25 AM

Just don't ask them Night Vision and Suppressor questions in the same month, you will end up having drones over your house... scared

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/31/14 05:19 PM

I have in writing from a major in the EPO's somewhere stating that 17 hmr is not legal. It's a 22 mad case necked down. 22 lr rim fire is how it was worded only. However he did say I could use a black powder rifle at night. Major Pajak was the guy I talke with via email a few years back.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/03/15 07:36 AM

Anybody having any luck in MA? I've struck out my last three sits.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/03/15 08:48 AM

I got the Flu...LOL!
Posted by: magurohunter

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/03/15 08:24 PM

Finally getting back out after deer season. Ended 2014 with 16 so not so bad.
Did 4 sets today and had two show up at sunset in a snowsquall. Just getting sight alignment when my hunting buddy takes his shot... a clean miss! Track in snow, now hair no blood. Oh well, saw two anyway. Had flu since Dec 27 and finally getting better. Good luck and get some rest.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/03/15 08:44 PM

I didn't make it out today because I think I have a touch of the Flu/Cold? Got up at 4:30 and felt like crap, took some aspirin and set in the chair for a half hour and ended up going back to bed. I had a nice red/blondeone come in last Saturday, but no shot. I got a pic of her on my trail cam a couple of weeks back. Haven't seen one since.
Get better everyone.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/04/15 10:52 AM

Pretty Red there! Where are you in Mass?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/04/15 12:57 PM

Fairhaven, and you?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/05/15 09:14 AM

HI ac289fla. South Dartmouth....got one dog in fairhaven in 2014. give a call sometime. Going tomorrow with cold and wind falling off. Might go again in afternoon. 508 863 9336

john

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/05/15 06:09 PM

Nice talking with you John and looking forward to meeting up with you.

Good luck tomorrow and shoot straight! thumbup

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/05/15 06:34 PM

Ac,if you call in any of them pukwedgies,make sure you get pictures,other wise we might not believe you... unsure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pukwudgie

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/05/15 06:55 PM

Ac,if you call in any of them pukwedgies,make sure you get pictures,other wise we might not believe you... unsure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pukwudgie

I think I may have had an encounter with one before, sounds an awful lot like my ex .... tongue_smilie

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/05/15 08:50 PM

Darn AC,that aint sayin much for you taste in women!!LOL!!

Happy hunting hope you guys put down some fur,you must a pile cats down there no?
Posted by: MAArcher

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/05/15 09:10 PM

Hello fellow MA hunters. I'm new to predator hunting and I'm glad to see there are some local ones here. I hunt north eastern MA and south eastern NH. I've only managed to knock down a couple coyote so far, one while deer hunting and one came in to a wouded rabbit call. Now that deer season is over I hope to get out and call some in.

Anyone haveing any luck lately? I can't seem to get anyting to howl back so far this year but last year I had a few responses that came in so quick they cought me off guard.

Does anyone know of any coyote population density information like they have for deer? I'm wondering if you shoot one out of a patch of woods, how many more might you expect to be in there?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/06/15 06:35 AM

Welcome MA Archer. I do the majority of my hunting over bait and the surrounding trails. According to my trail cams, there always seems to be several Yotes using these trails. I had a litter of 7 on one cam this spring, so I think there is a pretty healthy population. IDK of any population density info, but the jogger shot by the hunter on the Cape is Jonathan Way (Anti)of Eastern Coyote/Coywolf Research and he claims to know the numbers and that we need to stop Coyote hunting because their numbers are in danger????? thumbdown

I quote" Original description of the act: This act is a major event. I believe that Louise and I crafted the worldís first Carnivore Conservation Act. While this is intended for MA, we hope that it is eventually made into a national act, similar to how Raptors and Eagles are protected by special legislation. We are in the early stages and need help with legislators and other people to get the ball rolling on this."

Good luck and post up some pics!

http://www.easterncoyoteresearch.com/worlds-first-carnivore-conservation-act/

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/07/15 10:15 AM

I don't think theres a population issue, athough I don't think its as high today as it was 5-8 years ago when there was a winter where I couldn't find a deer track without a coyote track right behind it.

I have to get some trail cam's out. I use them for deer but haven't even thought about using them for coyote!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/07/15 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: MAArcher
I don't think theres a population issue, athough I don't think its as high today as it was 5-8 years ago when there was a winter where I couldn't find a deer track without a coyote track right behind it.

I have to get some trail cam's out. I use them for deer but haven't even thought about using them for coyote!

Oh there is a population problem.Come follow me around some night and I can show you 5 packs in a 10 mile radius.They are all over this state they just are so smart and they catch on to the game they are very quick to learn.our Deer Heard is taking a beating from them.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/07/15 05:24 PM

I agree. It seems like every time you take one, there is another Coyote to take it's place.

They are extremely smart, screw up once and they become educated.
Posted by: norbs

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/07/15 07:09 PM

What are the laws on the use of lights in Mass?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/07/15 07:28 PM

I agree. It seems like every time you take one, there is another Coyote to take it's place.

They are extremely smart, screw up once and they become educated.

Yuuuuuuup and years down the road they will remember you ohhh there is that clown with the FOXPRO or oh you know the guy sits in that tree stand don't go that way.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/07/15 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: norbs

No artificial lights and shotgun or 22lr at night we can use nightvision thank god.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/07/15 07:41 PM

No artificial lights and shotgun
or 22lr at night we can use nightvision thank god.

Yup, welcome to "The People's Republic of Massachusetts"

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/07/15 07:47 PM

No artificial lights and shotgun or 22lr at night we can use nightvision thank god.

I live a couple miles from the Mass border. I've been thinking about doing some night hunting down there this year also. I have a PVS-14, M845 scope, and a Thermal Eye X-50. All those are ok to use in Mass right? Do IR illuminators fall under artificial lights?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/07/15 08:54 PM

I live a couple miles from the Mass border. I've been thinking about doing some night hunting down there this year also. I have a PVS-14, M845 scope, and a Thermal Eye X-50. All those are ok to use in Mass right? Do IR illuminators fall under artificial lights?

Yes an Ir is a no go tell me about your thermal eyex50?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/07/15 09:09 PM

It's the only thermal I've ever owned so can't compare it to anything. However, it never fails to detect critters whenever they come to my calls. It's the one thing I won't go hunting without.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/08/15 09:47 AM

It's the only thermal I've ever owned so can't compare it to anything. However, it never fails to detect critters whenever they come to my calls. It's the one thing I won't go hunting without.

That's cool I just looked up your thermal nice one I am waiting for the shot show at the end of the month to see if any new products come out I have my eye on a flir Ls64 can't wait.Did it up Your odds my Pvs Dosent see everything it will be of great help in detecting in the brush or shady dark areas

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/08/15 03:19 PM

That's cool I just looked up your thermal nice one I am waiting for the shot show at the end of the month to see if any new products come out I have my eye on a flir Ls64 can't wait.Did it up Your odds my Pvs Dosent see everything it will be of great help in detecting in the brush or shady dark areas

Thermal is a huge game changer. I can't imagine how many coyote came in range that I didn't see with my night vision. They stand out like a sore thumb with thermal. Looks like a really bright white ghost moving through the woods.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/15/15 06:00 PM

Anyone been having any luck? I struck out my last three sits. thumbdown

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/15/15 08:48 PM

Today, on my 4th stand around 3:00pm I tried turkey calls, Lightning Jack, and some howls for 25 min. Then the last 5 min. I used "coyote pup screams". Then a smallish coyote came trotting in, through the thickest possible spot. Got off one shot, a miss, and couldn't find it in the scope for another shot. This is the first one I've seen in 2015.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/15/15 10:38 PM

Haven't been out much, made 4 stands yesterday, 2 today, trying to learn my new FoxPro Hellfire. I never used coyote vocals before, so I'm trying to build confidence. Not seeing much fresh sign. Trying some new areas. Finding all the deer I couldn't find a month ago.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/17/15 11:32 AM

Wanted to go out last night but too windy here. Hoping to get out tonight after work. Good luck all.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/17/15 01:20 PM

Ac
Don't buy into the to windy crap you hear on this site, those guys hunt out west and its a different deal...
I love wind, the more the better, why? Well first I can get into stands that normally would be impossible without alerting the local coyotes, wind screws up their hearing, and sight, if all the brush and trees are moving coyotes have a harder time busting by sight, and scent, when its windy I don't even worry about scent it gets pulled up and away fast...
In fact if its real still and quiet I tend to stay home unless I have a spot that I can get into silently without getting busted.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/17/15 03:04 PM

Looks like the wind might finally hold up. Headed out tonight, hopefully my luck will change.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/17/15 03:50 PM

They have been active here. Last weekend we called in a grey. Today we called in a good size yote that back Dolores us around 21 min mark when we were standing up to change sets. Next set around 830am we called in a 30lb female and got her. Seem to be reacting lately

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/17/15 08:25 PM

Ac
Don't buy into the to windy crap you hear on this site, those guys hunt out west and its a different deal...
I love wind, the more the better, why? Well first I can get into stands that normally would be impossible without alerting the local coyotes, wind screws up their hearing, and sight, if all the brush and trees are moving coyotes have a harder time busting by sight, and scent, when its windy I don't even worry about scent it gets pulled up and away fast...
In fact if its real still and quiet I tend to stay home unless I have a spot that I can get into silently without getting busted.

I hear 'ya Baystate, but I'm hunting at night, in a tree stand ,over bait, with a small caliber rifle. 40+ is a little too much.
As far as tonight, nada. I watched half a dozen mice run around all over my bait from 75 yards for 3.5 hours. According to my cameras, the Yotes were all over the bait the last 3 nights, anywhere from 5:30 pm to 1:00 am.
thumbdown
Posted by: bigbuck28

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/18/15 03:41 PM

Whats up Im from the Cape. Im not new to yote hunting.. but to calling them I am. Im stacked em up in years past with bait but am trying to figure out how to call them better. I have an fx3...and am looking into a PVS14 with the aim point set up. I know theres a lot of yotes around me bc if i put a bait out ill smash em within a few nights. But if i go out calling 9/10 times I'm coming up empty handed. Any advice on calling them during mating season? Sequences that have world for you?

To the guy in fairhaven thats baiting.. Are you moving your baits?
Sounds to me like you killed the stupid dogs off and there a few smart ones that are left. In your set up is there anything around the back of you to prohibit them from getting down wind? Start a bait somewhere else and I bet you get some quick results again.

Watch when we get a bunch of snow.. I'll bet you have dogs doing almost a full 360 before hitting the bait those are the smart dogs that are left.. They've either winded you once without you knowing it or figured the game out.. time to move. Also we've had some warm temps.. when we have them the dogs don't need the calories so there out micen.

A trick a buddy taught me when I first started baiting them was to put out less bait once you've established a bait site... It creates competition.. dogs will come earlier and earlier to beat out other totes. Also it keeps them hungry.. put out a bunch of bait and they'll hammer it all in a night and be full/have the calories they need to stay away for a few night....(leaned the hard way on this one)
Those 1am dogs will learn real quick if they wanna feed they better get there butt there early..

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/18/15 04:13 PM

Hi & thanks bigbuck, no, I'm not moving my baits. I'm hunting the edge of a swamp and they have always come through the swamp to get to the baits. as far as behind me, I have about 80-90 yards of woods and then a huge field. I'd be willing to try another bait stand, but not sure if I want to set up another ladder stand, just pulled all my deer stands out.
As far as them mousing, I believe that. There were mice running ramped last night.
I thought of cutting down my bait, but I have it all frozen in large setups. I guess I could thaw them first....
The red has been back, even during the day. She probably knows I'm working.
tongue_smilie

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/18/15 04:47 PM

Thats an awesome colored dog. Goodluck smoking him.

I was meaning move to another location to bait.. Those dogs are dumb now but wait till you blast a few...they'll start circling like crazy to make sure its extra safe lol.. Its fun to see how smart they get... Then move 2 miles away and you have dumb greedy dogs all over again. (that dog in your aviator is a huge dog btw)

I want to be able to call better.. We don't have any real fields down here so its really tough hunting..

On another note I hope MA smartens up and lets us use center fire rifle from a tree stand over bait... Where shooting down into the ground... That would allow night vision scopes on gun and 100% target ID before dropping the hammer..... Not the answer I keep getting " wait till theres snow and a full moon" Id like to see someone tell me the difference between a Shepard and a yote at 100 yards under those conditions... Also whats up with them allowing us to use lights for opossum and raccoons but not yotes?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/18/15 05:08 PM

I've always stayed in on windy days, maybe I should change up. Made 3 sets fri AM, from the tracks I think I had a couple lock up about 150yds, just out of sight. Looks like they were looking at my Mojo, not at me. Tracks milled around, then went back. I started sitting longer, 30-35min. Next time I call that stand I'll put my partner out in front to cover that.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/18/15 05:54 PM

Yeah, he's alluded me twice over the past two years. He's definitely the Alpha male. That's not him in the last pic, but a nice dog, just the same.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/18/15 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbuck28
Thats an awesome colored dog. Goodluck smoking him.

I was meaning move to another location to bait.. Those dogs are dumb now but wait till you blast a few...they'll start circling like crazy to make sure its extra safe lol.. Its fun to see how smart they get... Then move 2 miles away and you have dumb greedy dogs all over again. (that dog in your aviator is a huge dog btw)

I want to be able to call better.. We don't have any real fields down here so its really tough hunting..

On another note I hope MA smartens up and lets us use center fire rifle from a tree stand over bait... Where shooting down into the ground... That would allow night vision scopes on gun and 100% target ID before dropping the hammer..... Not the answer I keep getting " wait till theres snow and a full moon" Id like to see someone tell me the difference between a Shepard and a yote at 100 yards under those conditions... Also whats up with them allowing us to use lights for opossum and raccoons but not yotes?

LOL! Dont hold your breath Big Buck,this state will never allow that..to many lawyers.. thumbdown

Mass,give hunting in the wind a try,they have to eat and breed!!Go to the stands that are the hardest to get to and give it a try,you more than likely wont get busted on you way in.. smile

Ac, those are some kick AZZ pictures, man!! thumbup

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/19/15 10:51 AM

I am going to try a few sets in marion this afternoon. As always...confidence is high...

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/19/15 10:52 AM

Great pics AC!! Let me know if you would like to give it a bash again later this week.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/19/15 03:05 PM

Will do John, good luck this afternoon, hoping to get an hour or so in myself sometime tonight . Expectations are low, as the cams haven't produced much lately. thumbdown

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/19/15 03:13 PM

Im going out this afternoon.. we have a west wind which is perfect for the spot i have in mind...we'll see

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/19/15 08:41 PM

Just got back in, beautiful night to be out, but that's about it. 3 hour stand, 1 deer, a bunch of mice and a rabbit. unsure

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/20/15 12:05 PM

Not even a howl back.. did three sets in new territory...had one great set for sure, but no takers. Going to RI this week again. May hit fairhaven tomorrow with the east wind....

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/20/15 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: magurohunter
May hit fairhaven tomorrow with the east wind....

Stay outta my yard. tt2

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/21/15 06:30 AM

Sat over two different bait piles the last two nights with no luck. Monday had a deer, a rabbit and a boat load of mice, last night on the other pile, a solo mouse. Nothing on the 4 cameras, no yotes, fox or fishers, no idea what's going on. unsure

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/21/15 08:44 PM

AC
Are you calling off those baits??

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/22/15 06:18 AM

No, just sitting in my tree stands 50-75 yds from the bait. I have had good luck this way in the past. The cameras usually show activity, but it's been quiet lately.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/22/15 02:28 PM

Good One Joe...Actually pretty close to your place for sure. Did two sets there, one short one right behind barn, then a long one into the dark at the north end of the property. No dogs seen. No howls or barks back. Two sets of tracks headed north (from the farm right on 195) which continued all the way to the north end of our piece.

I missed two in Little Compton on first set in the AM. 212 yards. Just plain missed. Still lamenting....thought they were cows for like 5 or 10 minutes as they were in the pasture next to the herd eating a fresh killed calf. No wonder they would not move closer. I ranged them, then took shot. Lucky dog. My heart beating too fast did not help. Still laughing at myself for writing them off as cows/calves...I had a 'what the heck" moment when one turned broadside with a bushy tail!....

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/22/15 04:48 PM

No, just sitting in my tree stands 50-75 yds from the bait. I have had good luck this way in the past. The cameras usually show activity, but it's been quiet lately.

You might want to try it, nothing gets the locals riled up more than strange dogs at their food pantry.. I don't hunt baits but I have called and killed a lot off dead cows.. I know your using the .22 lr so running dogs could be difficult, but what you could do is just a few coyote vocals of coyotes fighting over food then shut it down, then wait for the locals to sneak in for a look...
Here is another trick that I used, I would spray the bait area with coyote urine, that way the dogs get real riled up because they can tell its not their pack mates...

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/22/15 08:50 PM

My old Johnny Stewart (tapes) caller died and I haven't replaced it yet, so I won't be calling but will give the urine a try. I'll pick some up Sunday and let you know how it goes, thanks for the tip!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/24/15 11:51 AM

Saw 5 yesterday. Moving too fast at 300 plus yards across bluff on river. I tried coyotes fighting and hunting whines after calf distress on and off over ten minutes. Also included some intermittent barking and yip/howls on [beeep] diaphragm pup howler during group vocals. They ended up in woods challenge barking back at me after group rally howl. We chatted briefly, but I could not get them to come out for a clean shot. It was not warm on the water with a strong southwesterly coming across the mouth of the Sakonnet River....They finished off the calf they killed on Wed.

I will sort out getting some coyote urine for next visit there. Thanks for advice BY.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/24/15 11:53 AM

Hey Joe...I want to get the new WT call...If you are interested, my MA 21 is going to be for sale...

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/24/15 12:26 PM

Mag
Great job keeping them interested! Check out your PM from me..

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/24/15 08:56 PM

I'm definitely interested John, give me a shout.

I need to change up my game, think I figured out why I'm not seeing anything on my cameras, one of the neighbors must be baiting from their home, was in my stand the other night and heard a gun shot South of me around 9 p.m. .
mad

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/28/15 08:38 PM

Any advice on hunting in three feet of snow? I went out today just for the fun of it without any luck, but I don't see how a coyote can move through powder this deep?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/29/15 07:29 AM

If you can get out during the week or off hrs try walking the snowmobile trails. The yotes use them too. Usually they skirt the thick stuff, makes forvsome great set-ups. I'm headed for some right now. Good luck!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/31/15 07:02 PM

Just got back from calling.. Right around dusk I had a really nice blonde yore come in...But of course he came in right where I didn't think he would.. RIGHT DOWN the side of a running river.. Coyote was walking along the edge of the ice!!!!! I guess they'll take a chance of getting wet to stay outta the snow... And no i didnt get a shot its really thick along this edge and he made it threw before I could even get the gun on him.... At least I know Im doing something right!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/31/15 07:20 PM

Getting to see one that came in at least means you've done something right. thumbup

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/03/15 10:32 AM

Hows everyone in western mass doing thus far? Had a great start to the season but dry stand after dry stand since deer season has finished up.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 12:06 AM

Going to hit it hard tomorrow, plenty of tracks around houses. Not hearing the howling I used to, but they are around. The yotes are eating some deer for sure.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 02:01 PM

My budy shot one last night in Salem, nh. Said 5 came into howl's. But I still haven't heard a coyote answer a howl this year. When are they likely to do that? It's what I'm waiting for, like a Tom turkey gobbling back, I love it!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 02:55 PM

Got two in the truck last night. Pal shot one before I arrived and I called another in that was hanging around near the farm house. Had trouble with call remote, as I did not use the glow paint that Shane recommended. I have fixed that.... Female vocalizations got several dogs going and I made a mistake with the remote and ended up with vole squeaks...figured any noise was better than the racket I was making tying to get it right as the dog moved through the brush at 100 yards. Turned the volume all the way down and he creeped up to the call/mojo and I got a nice 45 yard quartering in shot with turkey tube and FF shot. Dog stoned. Both last springs coyote pups. I'll try for a pic. Perfect night with light wind and huge moon.

FYI, pal shot female at more than 100 yards with 22 rifle and Rem Thunderbolt target round... through both lungs and the dog did not go far. Oh, it was on the run too. Some guys have all the luck!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 03:06 PM

Got two in the truck last night. Pal shot one before I arrived and I called another in that was hanging around near the farm house. Had trouble with call remote, as I did not use the glow paint that Shane recommended. I have fixed that.... Female vocalizations got several dogs going and I made a mistake with the remote and ended up with vole squeaks...figured any noise was better than the racket I was making tying to get it right as the dog moved through the brush at 100 yards. Turned the volume all the way down and he creeped up to the call/mojo and I got a nice 45 yard quartering in shot with turkey tube and FF shot. Dog stoned. Both last springs coyote pups. I'll try for a pic. Perfect night with light wind and huge moon.

FYI, pal shot female at more than 100 yards with 22 rifle and Rem Thunderbolt target round... through both lungs and the dog did not go far. Oh, it was on the run too. Some guys have all the luck!

Nice, was this on the cape or in Rhode Island? Granted I hate eastern mass I am jealous on how many yotes are out that way.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: LARUEminati

Nice, was this on the cape or in Rhode Island? Granted I hate eastern mass I am jealous on how many yotes are out that way.

John, I think it was the new remote lanyard that did it!! LOL!! Great job, way to stick with it and work em in for the shot....
PS The WT vole squeak's are one of my fav's!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 04:18 PM

Hi Shane! Yup that [beeep] lanyard!! Actually a great addition to the kit and the new glow stuff my kids have is going to be a huge help. Got the shots on the eastern shore of the westport river on a very pretty farm. Was hoping to to go tonight but the overcast is still pretty solid. I might push it a little with the shotgun and the snow... Vole squeak is a regular for me. I like unusual stuff like the coons and squirrels too. Gosh we sound like rednecks eh? Ha!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 04:20 PM

Larue...there is some nice country down here too...not a crazy as Cape cod...

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 04:22 PM

Larue...there is some nice country down here too...not a crazy as Cape cod...

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 04:29 PM

...I'll try for a pic.

Got you covered John thumbup1

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 07:30 PM

You are the best and thanks Shane! I am so handicapped with technology...without my kids I would work with stone tools...

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 07:31 PM

WHoa!! Joe you are the best!!

Only one single serving bottle of wine at dinner too!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 07:31 PM

Joe, you make it look easy!!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 07:32 PM

John
Great job!! Most of mine this year have that german shepard color variation....

AC
Any activity at your baits this week?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 07:38 PM

You never know whats gonna show up. (as you know well) First dog of 2014 was prettiest coyote I ever did see...I did one sunset session this eve and just as I was starting I heard a round go off to the south about 1/2 mile...they (my pals) continued to shoot till after dark. The turkeys were pissed at me too...had everything scrambling around too funny. No dogs. I was going to do another set but the moon had yet to rise and the overcast was pretty heavy. I need 5 k to set my night program up properly!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 07:39 PM

I'll text a pic to Joe and he can post it for me!!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 07:45 PM

[email:][/email]

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 07:46 PM

OK...i figured something out...not sure how I got two! Best looking dog of 2014, first week of January designated Dog 1.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 07:53 PM

Hey Joe..I was cruising through photo bucket and saw this pic from last fall. You can see my cockpit controls in this one...13 yellows, 31 mahi and a couple of albies to boot! Geesh...maybe a single serving bottle of wine is good for my computer skills!!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 07:53 PM

There you go!! That looks like a big dog! Love that rifle!
I was going to go out tonite but the wind was lite and wrong for the only spot of mine that has a plowed spot to park my truck!!! I have my snow shoes out,have not used them since that brutal 2010 /2011 winter!!
I would like to have a little more wind to mask my travels in to my shotgun spots..

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/15 09:21 PM

Dog 1 sure was a good way to start the season off. Rifle looks familiar? Ha!! Mine only has camo tape which helps keep the noise down Shooter though.....Same problem here with deep snow. but no snow shoes! Wind is up from sw but a little too much cloud cover. I was just out in the back and the snow looks bright, but I know I would never get good sight alignment. Waaa....sound like a whiner...

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/05/15 06:44 PM

Baystate,
I 've been busy plowing and haven't had time to go out. I pulled my cards on the 31st, quite a F@$%#ING project! thumbdown I had to park out on the main road and hike through the two fields just to get to the woods. Some of the drifts were over 5' tall, needless to say a 15 minute job took well over an hour. I need to buy some snow shoes, just so I can rebait. crazy Anyways, I have Fishers, a Grey Fox, a Raccoon, and a Red Tail Hawk hitting my bait, no Yotes to be found. frown I hope to get out if this snow ever stops!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/05/15 07:51 PM

[email:][/email]

Looks like a big dog, nice job

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/08/15 08:11 PM

Hey mass guys... great week here for me.. Just made a post on the main forum with some cool pics. Please go check it out. Unreal for sure and I am rather happy....I guess its not hard to be happy when the stars and moon align! Joe, I figured out the pics even with a bottle of wine though it too me an hour! So progress for me!! So lucky for sure but great week. That soft and dusty snow last night was super quiet this morning and using the icy road only made it better! So fun and I actually shot well.!!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/11/15 09:12 AM

Nice yote, nice rifle.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/06/15 12:47 PM

Last hoorah tomorrow, good luck

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/06/15 09:26 PM

Good luck all !

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/10/15 01:49 PM

Final night fur, 42lb female. With larueminatii we knew they were close. after a last resort challenge howl she was dead in the next 15sec. Tagged the male in the [beeep] with the 870 as he pissed himself across the field but no second harvest. Now onto fishing

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/10/15 02:19 PM

Locksmith
Great job!!! Thats a sweet looking dog! What a tough season,hey!! I did the same thing Saturday,called three in only able get one,had to retrieve her with snow shoes,and a sled... Ended up with 17 total for the season..

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/10/15 02:57 PM

Baystate, thanks man we definitely had a tough year. 17 that's a good number for these parts. You use bait? We tried for the first time this year but way to late in the season. As much as I want more fur im glad I'm done snow shoeing. We signed up for that coyote hunt for charity but then realized everything was on a Saturday afternoon...weigh ins and what not realistically my only day to hunt every week so we never showed. Was looking forward to meeting some of the other coyote hunters in the area

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/10/15 03:03 PM

Lock
I get most on mine from calling, great job again!! Anyone that gets a dog with a shotgun has earned it!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/10/15 03:33 PM

That's awesome these dogs ain't dumb. Thanks again much appreciated. Gotta love the shotgun, preferred weapon of choice with hevi shot dead coyote loads and a red dot. Shot this one through some scrub brush put it down hard. However this was the first one to get back up and give me a little tea kettle with steam so I tagged her again front leg bones were just jello after dual 12yd shots.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/10/15 04:21 PM

My Moto, shoot till their down!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/14/15 07:42 PM

Nice one locksmith. Congrats on 17 Baystate. Now that the snow is going we'll see & hear them all over.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/21/15 11:05 AM

Originally Posted By: masshunter
Nice one locksmith. Congrats on 17 Baystate. Now that the snow is going we'll see & hear them all over.

Thanks man

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 04/20/15 04:37 PM

Hey Mass guys...Getting caught up with site today. Ended season with 12 down here and I missed three. Highlights were three doubles. Had a bunch of other opportunities too and saw quite of few this season. Killed a tree two weeks ago...it looked good, as I had sight alignment on a slow mover with scope, but still that tree got me. I put 4 dogs in front of Andy hoping that he would get his first, but he missed or never shot...frustrating, but that is how you learn. Put dogs onto another pal who also missed both. All in all, great season and I am still poking around in RI until the bugs show or turkey opens.

Baystate Yote...got me a pair of NVG binos to borrow and man did I see a bunch of dogs. Had roadkill in my backyard and saw 5 or 6 running around back there. Just need to get my optics set up and good to go. Keep me posted if you see any deals please.

Also, BY, Tried the new Max in Washington last week and its now on my wish list. Sounds really nice with the extra speaker. Did not have time to squeeze in a hunt there. Stay in touch! How do you like the new system?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/04/15 11:08 AM

Two more months, everyone getting jacked up or what? I'm chompin at the bit!

I was ready yesterday, I mean last week, I ment last month! haha

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 08/04/15 05:16 PM

I am ready also.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/05/15 01:30 PM

Two more months, everyone getting jacked up or what? I'm chompin at the bit!

I was ready yesterday, I mean last week, I ment last month! haha

Yip

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/07/15 07:19 PM

Good luck Guys!!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 11/17/15 10:53 PM

Checking in after time out.

Best of Luck ALL.

T2G

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 11/17/15 10:53 PM

Checking in after time out.

Best of Luck ALL.

T2G

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/08/15 07:15 PM

Ok...officially on the site for the winter. I am stuck at 14 down. Number 15 for 2015 eludes me so far with a bow miss and a cripple. However, I will continue trying. We collectivley shot 5 during our deer drives so far. Lots of dogs around taking advantage of the territorial hole. Keep the stories coming!!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/08/15 07:15 PM

deer drive dogs do not count!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/09/15 11:44 AM

deer drive dogs do not count!!

14 is an impressive number for right now... how many we're called (without a light, in Mass)?

You guys have a healthy population out that way, keep up the good work.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/15/15 07:27 PM

Number 15 for 2015 eludes me so far with a bow miss and a cripple....

First year that I haven't seen a dog during deer season, real quiet here, only a couple occasionally showing up on the cameras at night. thumbdown

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/16/15 09:40 AM

First year that I haven't seen a dog during deer season

I let two walk during shotgun season, I spent an hour getting up steep ridge into some high country with thick hemlock cover and sure enough as soon as I get there here comes two coyotes along the hillside below me. Never ended up seeing any deer up there so now I wish I shot them. Two 1st year pups, if it was a big male or some funky colorphase I wouldn't even of thought twice.

Good luck

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/30/15 08:56 PM

Anyone having any luck?
Posted by: EFR

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/30/15 09:38 PM

Got one two nights ago, nice male. All scarred up from fighting. Called in two others last week; wasn't able to seal the deal.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/31/15 03:23 PM

Nice, any pics? Slow here, nothing eating the baits other than a Fisher and some mice.

This guy got close twice, but wouldn't bite:

This youngster came down the trail 3 weeks ago, and hasn't gone near the baits:

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 12/31/15 04:53 PM

I'd bet they're still feasting on random gut piles/runoffs from deer season, thats what the skat has shown me. Deer hair!

I'll be out this weekend.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/01/16 08:49 AM

EFR, at least your pulling them in, great job!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/03/16 06:44 PM

Not much of a picture, just a quick pic I sent to Baystateyote Sensei. I've actually called in three this year. Went out two nights ago and saw one in field I was walking into. Couldn't get him to come back.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/03/16 09:16 PM

Nice, congrats!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/04/16 11:13 AM

Good job.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/05/16 06:56 AM

Got another. Called in two last night. First one ran in and ran out. No shot. Switched up calls to bring him back, and 10 minutes later this female came in. It was COLD last night.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/05/16 08:08 AM

Nice job, looks like a good one.

You using NV? It was dark last night.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/05/16 10:39 AM

Good job. The way you're racking them up there won't be any left for the rest of us.
smile

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/05/16 12:06 PM

Nice job, looks like a good one.

You using NV? It was dark last night.

Yes. M845 scope and goggles. Not sure what the goggles are, but they are gen 2.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/05/16 12:07 PM

Good job. The way you're racking them up there won't be any left for the rest of us.
smile

There's still plenty out there! I've seen more than I've shot.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/05/16 01:00 PM

Nice job

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/05/16 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: EFR

Yes. M845 scope and goggles. Not sure what the goggles are, but they are gen 2.

Nice, I really like that scope and the fact it has a red-dot for the reticle.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/05/16 06:00 PM

Way to put them down!!! thumbup Your the man!!!

Coyote hunting...if it were easy deer hunters would be doing it..

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/05/16 07:09 PM

Coyote hunting...if it were easy deer hunters would be doing it..

crazy

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/06/16 09:53 AM

You know I am right, AC!! tt2

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/06/16 01:35 PM

You know I am right, AC!! tt2

thumbup
Yup, I must really suck at it 'cause I've shot most of mine during archery season.

tt2

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/10/16 04:55 PM

Pulled my cards this am, only thing on the baits are Fishers, no idea where all the 'yotes went. scared

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/10/16 07:32 PM

Red fox this weekend and a missed coyote with my muzzleloader. Finally completed the quadfecta that is the bobcat, coyote, red fox & greyfox. The red fox has eluded me for awhile.

60gr NBT blew him up in the front, platnum grey distress was the sound. Did him a favor, he had the beginnings of mange on his trail and the rear of his back legs.

Set my muzzle loader up for night hunting and i've tried using 230gr .45cal FMJ's in a .50cal sabot & 90grains of blackhorn 209. Hopeing for no expansion to keep it fur friendly. Anyhow, on its maiden voyage this weekend I missed one at 125 yards. Went to the range to recheck it today and I couldnt get good groups at 100 to save my life. Any load suggestions? I'll be back at it this week.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/10/16 08:36 PM

Nice job, congrats. thumbup1

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/10/16 09:32 PM

"only thing on the baits are Fishers, no idea where all the 'yotes went."

Maybe they ate the coyotes? They seem to be all over western Mass. and will visit a bait sight every night once they show up.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/11/16 06:41 AM

Maybe they ate the coyotes? They seem to be all over western Mass. and will visit a bait sight every night once they show up.

I would always get both, but as of late the coyotes have been very few and far between. Rumor has it that someones dog got caught in some kind of a trap(heard it from a neighbor who heard it from a neighbor, and so on ...) not too far down the road, thinking someone might be cleaning the area out. scared

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/11/16 09:22 AM

Its because of the lack of snow, the coyotes can still easily mouse...

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/12/16 01:40 PM

Red fox this weekend and a missed coyote with my muzzleloader. Finally completed the quadfecta that is the bobcat, coyote, red fox & greyfox. The red fox has eluded me for awhile.

60gr NBT blew him up in the front, platnum grey distress was the sound. Did him a favor, he had the beginnings of mange on his trail and the rear of his back legs.

Set my muzzle loader up for night hunting and i've tried using 230gr .45cal FMJ's in a .50cal sabot & 90grains of blackhorn 209. Hopeing for no expansion to keep it fur friendly. Anyhow, on its maiden voyage this weekend I missed one at 125 yards. Went to the range to recheck it today and I couldnt get good groups at 100 to save my life. Any load suggestions? I'll be back at it this week.

Great work!!!! I used to use Nosler 60gr BT, but they always exited. Were not fur friendly for me.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/12/16 02:03 PM

The 60 Nosler BT's have been very fur friendly for me on coyotes, and i've seen a few go DRT on the spot so that's why I use them. Shot one earlier this year at 10 yards (maybe less) broadside with no exit. However, if you hit them behind the leg and it exit's out the chest, or vice versa, it's like a hand grenade went off. That was the case with this little fox, although broadside would have probably been a pass-thru aswell. It's not a great fox round, that's my conclusion!

I shoot them over 25.8 grains of varget, which i've found to be the most accurate load in my gun.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/21/16 07:09 PM

Got a question for you guys that use vocals. I've most always used distress calls, but the other day I tried a female howl/bark followed by 2 male howls. Right away I got a response from a group right where I thought they'd be. I repeated the female howls/barks and got the same response. It was like I hear at night, but this was about 10AM. I shut down for 5 min, then used some soft distress on and off for another 25 min or so, but saw nothing. How should I have handled this ? How long should I have stayed ? I'm using a Hellfire if that matters, and had a Mojo running. Any ideas ?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/22/16 11:31 AM

Got a question for you guys that use vocals. I've most always used distress calls, but the other day I tried a female howl/bark followed by 2 male howls. Right away I got a response from a group right where I thought they'd be. I repeated the female howls/barks and got the same response. It was like I hear at night, but this was about 10AM. I shut down for 5 min, then used some soft distress on and off for another 25 min or so, but saw nothing. How should I have handled this ? How long should I have stayed ? I'm using a Hellfire if that matters, and had a Mojo running. Any ideas ?

If it were me and you got a response right away, i'd go silent for awhile to see if anything popped out. Alot of times they won't make another sound then next thing you know there they are. Granted you gave it a few minutes there was probably a good chance they're weren't going to come no matter what, which has happened to me several times. One things for sure is they definitely heard your prey distress sounds and wanted nothing to do with them.

If nothing after that period of silence i'd go straight to pup distress and run 3-4 different pup distress sounds before I quit. Sometimes before pup distress i'll try "C35 coyote female sub" on the foxpro and that sound for some reason pulls them in more often than not.

Good luck, you're in a good spot!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/22/16 05:16 PM

Thanks, I thought of pup distress too late.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/22/16 10:18 PM

Larue, is correct, in the day especially, give them the no ones home treatment after you have used vocals, if they are close they have to come and see who is in their territory... coyotes care about territory more than anything...Also I personally feel that eastern hunters do not stay on stand long enough, if I get coyotes vocalizing out in front of me, I will stay till I zap one.. if that takes three hours of working them, so be it.. I worked a coyote one time for hours as she vocalized threat barking me, I never ended up getting her, but I did end up with a monster female that came to see what all the fuss was about.
I use 90 percent coyote vocals and I have had coyotes do things that you guys would not believe, including being down wind from me barking and scolding me, only to have me end the show with a well placed shot.
There is a member on here that I took hunting, we called a coyote out of the bush, but we could not shoot it because it was on the crown of a hill. It ran back in the bush, I told him I would call it back out, and I did... That same member called a coyote out of the bush three times but could not get a shot..
My point is if you know they are there, and you have good cover and shooting lanes, don't assume they have busted you...keep calling, and if you do miss one, keep calling, if there is one coyote, more than likely there is two or more, and they don't have walky-talkies to communicate with each other..

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/22/16 11:45 PM

Thanks Baystate, That's what I was looking for, time on stand.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/23/16 11:47 AM

Masshunter, this same sceanario played itself out last night for a buddy and I.

First stand on a field abuting a swamp after 9PM I started out with light rabbit distress for any would be fox, gave it a few of silence then did my usual "group" howl on high volume and sure enough a few yotes respond immediately from the hillside we'd thought theyd be.

Long story short one did end up coming in after about a half hour, but through the swamp where a shot couldnt be made.

Sometimes they all come running within your shooting lanes, other times not. i

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/23/16 01:10 PM

I killed a 50 lbs male Wednesday, I saw him and his female in the field , yesterday I went back and used male vocals, took a while but I ended up killing a female, don't know if it was the same one, but I don't care. Time on stand was three hours.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/23/16 01:19 PM

Nice! Thats a good one. After dark or durin the day? Havent seen much during daylight hours this year, two coyotes and a fox thats it.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/31/16 04:38 PM

[/URL

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/01/16 06:37 AM

Nice! Looks like a good one, especially compared to the few hides I've seen taken around here this year.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/01/16 08:32 AM

Nice! Looks like a good one, especially compared to the few hides I've seen taken around here this year.

It had a nice thick hide. The baselayer was like a brillo pad and dulled a few scalpel blades when I skinned it out.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/01/16 09:36 AM

Just curious if anyone thinks climber is worth it in mass? Seems like we always get circled and winded either up against a tree or in a blind.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/01/16 10:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Squatch413
Just curious if anyone thinks climber is worth it in mass? Seems like we always get circled and winded either up against a tree or in a blind.

A worthy tactic and i'm sure guys do it. One things for sure, you can see ALOT further.

I've thought about it and my one issue is how time consuming it would be. I could get 2-3 stands in in the same amount of time it would take for a guy to set-up, call & takedown a climber. Also, hauling the climber with all the other crap I carry would be an issue.

For a bobcat, i'd definitely consider it.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/01/16 05:40 PM

thumbup1 Every Coyote I've shot has been from a treestand.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/01/16 08:46 PM

Squatch (interesting moniker)there is no such thing as a dumb idea when it comes to coyotes, if you have a climber, go for it..

Larue, nice one, love that AR...

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/01/16 08:48 PM

Larue, nice one, love that AR...

It's a Larue... Check em out.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/01/16 09:47 PM

Geese all this time I thought you was Cajun.. w00t

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/01/16 10:24 PM

A worthy tactic and i'm sure guys do it. One things for sure, you can see ALOT further.

I've thought about it and my one issue is how time consuming it would be. I could get 2-3 stands in in the same amount of time it would take for a guy to set-up, call & takedown a climber. Also, hauling the climber with all the other crap I carry would be an issue.

Thats my concern, is it better to call a few spots, or be up in the air for one good stand. Debating whether it's worth the hassle.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/02/16 06:25 AM

Thats my concern, is it better to call a few spots, or be up in the air for one good stand. Debating whether it's worth the hassle.

I keep 3 ladder stands set up in different areas. that way, I can just show up without it being a major hassle.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/02/16 08:10 AM

Squatch, you asked the question that I asked myself a long time ago, I would rather sit for a while and kill coyotes than run up the number of stands I go to...But then again I hunt farms, so coyotes constantly moving through... Give it a shot Squatch!! Everybody has to come up with their own way of hunting these animals..Put your stamp on it!! Use your climber and get some coyotes, and it you have a few ladder stands use them to..

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/02/16 08:25 AM

I keep 3 ladder stands set up in different areas. that way, I can just show up without it being a major hassle.

If I had the property i'd do this.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/02/16 07:39 PM

Thanks for all the answers guys.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/02/16 08:05 PM

Thanks for all the answers guys.

Your welcome, Good luck!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/05/16 10:29 AM

Pumped for the fresh snow, time to find some cat tracks.

Man it's been a weird winter.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/06/16 09:16 PM

Called in a double tonight....Pretty dark, my buddy and I hit a dog at 65 yards with the shotgun.. Dog fell into a washout.. slide all the way down blood here and their. Were going to let him sit and look again in the Am....

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/07/16 09:58 AM

Yeah it was dark last night even with the snow on the ground. We got a big pack howling around 9pm that we've gone after before but they eluded us again. Also had a single howling from a different area on the opposite side of a swamp, again none of them cared to venture in far enough to check out the call. Waited em out for 2-1/2 hours, sometimes thats the way it goes. Tried all the stuff thats worked in the past.

First time we had them going they were where we wanted them to be, this was 2 weeks ago. This time we get all setup approiately, hit the caller, and theyre behind us! [beeep]

Hope you find that one, had to use my thermal last week to locate a down one for the first time, worked great.

Good luck for the remainder of the season.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/07/16 10:02 AM

No luck on a cat yesterday morning. Called from sunrise til around noon in the berkshires, in an area we've called a cat out of season twice and had to let him walk. Saw tracks but no takers after the storm.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/07/16 05:06 PM

Found him this am.. only 30 yards more then where we stopped looking last night..
45lb male
Posted by: jamesd

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/07/16 05:33 PM

Thats a beauty!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/07/16 07:07 PM

Nice job bigbuck

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/07/16 08:05 PM

Good that you found him Bigbuck. Looks like you've got plenty of snow.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/07/16 08:09 PM

Nice, 45pounder!! Living must be good out there.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/07/16 08:15 PM

After snow removal and sanding I couldn't get out till afternoon.
Must have been your tracks I saw here & there. Only saw turkeys. Lots of yote tracks out there.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/08/16 07:48 AM

Way to go Big Buck!! That's a great shot with a shotgun!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/10/16 10:39 AM

Biggest female we've ever shot.. Her and the male came hard charging to the call in the snow.. My brother smoked this female and I got blood on the male... [beeep] shotguns.. He rolled this dog over at around 50 yards( I let him shoot first) and I started shooting as the male burned for the woods around 65 yards...
Posted by: Bob_Atl

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/10/16 11:01 AM

WOW, her daddy was the wolf !!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/10/16 11:17 AM

Looks like a good one, we've shot a few 40lb+ females it it looks like that one fits into that catagory. I got one off the cape a few weeks back that was over 40, pushing 45. It was with a male that got away and he was WAY bigger. Some big dogs out your way & lots of them. Impressive for Mass.

What shotgun ammo you shooting? Tungsten?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/10/16 11:41 AM

Beautiful !

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/10/16 01:54 PM

Dead coyote T shot 3 1/2" Out of the Dead coyote choke tube attached to a benelli SBE II.

I really wish they would at least let us use the 22 mag.... If we had rifle capable of killing a coyote we would have doubled up no problem... Who ever made the laws regarding coyotes in MA must have very little brains or respect for yotes. I can't bring myself to shoot a yote with a 22lr.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/10/16 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbuck28
Dead coyote T shot 3 1/2" Out of the Dead coyote choke tube attached to a benelli SBE II.

I really wish they would at least let us use the 22 mag.... If we had rifle capable of killing a coyote we would have doubled up no problem... Who ever made the laws regarding coyotes in MA must have very little brains or respect for yotes. I can't bring myself to shoot a yote with a 22lr.

Can't get much better loads than that, I guess he got lucky. Keep after em

Yeah the rules suck in general. Longest range gun you can use at night is a muzzleloader, been using one this season and its good out to at least 150. Only one shot though.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/10/16 10:02 PM

Big buck, way to go!!

Guys the way things are going in this state and country, you will be lucky to carry a gun. in ten years..

PS coyote densities are just exploding, there are way more dogs now than when I started hunting them in 2006...cant wait to see how the liberals handle this problem? Round them up and put them on an Island in the Quabin??

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/27/16 02:03 PM

Hi Guys..Been off the site for a while as new job has me pretty crazy. Did manage to get 15 dogs for 2015 and yes, I had to count a deer drive one to get the number.

2016 has been blast. Got the night vision figured out and took 11 dogs off bait pile using driveway alarm. Biggest was a 45 lbs male. Got a 42 lb female too. Just took number 16 this AM in RI, my 5th on the call this season. Coyote vocalizations work if you are on them I guess. Started off well with two dogs in two sets here in South Dartmouth. I have now shot 13 coyotes off Smith neck in 2016!!

Anyway, miss checking the site daily and hope all are well. Good luck MA guys and keep it up!!

And Baystate Yote...you are correct,they just keep coming. Its really crazy. Hope you are well!!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 07/22/16 08:56 AM

Hope everyone got their AR's semi-automatic firearms, man we got screwed.
Posted by: rpc55

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 07/22/16 09:38 AM

Sounds like a solution in search of a problem. Very troubling when a state attorney general has the power or authority to do this??? Time for another Boston Tea Party....
Posted by: sl john

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 07/30/16 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: rpc55
Sounds like a solution in search of a problem. Very troubling when a state attorney general has the power or authority to do this??? Time for another Boston Tea Party....

I believe the short answer, if she was truly doing her job, is that she does not. Remember that she is the one that told females against her bathroom bill to "hold it".
Call your Reps. and Sens., tell them to back Sen. Tarrs bill.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 09/29/16 08:55 PM

So Boys, do we hunt with our AR's this year, or keep them locked up?? Not a dumb question, if you read any of GOAL's press emails.
She did not have the authority to just make up interpretations on her own, but she did and all the State House clowns gave her a pass. She also gave you a "Grand Father" clause so to speak, something she cant do, because its not law...Oh and you can bet the Democrats that control the State House will sure not give you a pass.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 09/30/16 04:59 PM

After what I read this week from GOAL, she interpreted the law her way, but can't legally do that. Then she gave a sort of amnesty if you bought one in the last 18 years, but legally she can't do that. Now you can't sell them in Mass. and if you sell your's out of state it doesn't matter because you already committed a felony when you bought it. Looks like there's going to be a lot more felons in Mass.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 09/30/16 08:19 PM

I am, probably throw the paperwork in my case for good measure if that would even help. The shotgun I use also falls under the edict.

I have considered switching to a bolt & pump but im not spending all that extra money to please her.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 09/30/16 10:21 PM

LOL Duck Stopper, you nailed it!!!

Larue, I hear you!! I work seven days a week all year and the one thing I love, coyote hunting, they will eventually take away from us..
Now imagine if Healy was a Republican and she made a similar interpretation on gay marriage, can you imagine the outcry!??

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/16/16 06:56 PM

How did everyone do yesterday? I got two males, one was a pig of a dog!!
Posted by: Bob_Atl

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/16/16 08:21 PM

... one was a pig of a dog!!

Picture Please !!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/17/16 07:40 AM

Got a female sat 7:30 AM First stand of the first day, I'm pumped. Hope to get out again tues & weds.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/17/16 10:57 AM

Got a female sat 7:30 AM First stand of the first day, I'm pumped. Hope to get out again tues & weds.

Nice, was hoping for the same but didn't see anything all day Saturday. Was disappointed to see not much sign in some good spots. Need bird season to end, all the WMA's with fields are bird areas = no rifles.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/18/16 06:50 AM

I was in the woods with a shotgun, but could hear all the shooting just down the road at the WMA. Man, the ticks are terrible !

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/18/16 09:51 AM

I was in the woods with a shotgun, but could hear all the shooting just down the road at the WMA. Man, the ticks are terrible !

We did the same, and heard alot of shooting aswell. Didn't see anything but a bear.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/04/17 08:33 PM

Half of a double

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/05/17 07:44 PM

Nice one ! Heading out tomorrow with my bud to give it a go. Got busted sat morning by a shifting wind. Seeing all the deer I couldn't find in Dec.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/06/17 03:06 PM

Nice one ! Heading out tomorrow with my bud to give it a go. Got busted sat morning by a shifting wind. Seeing all the deer I couldn't find in Dec.

Your not kidding, I saw some serious corker tracks and a group of 9+ does Saturday afternoon. They're all yarded up.

Tagged that one at sunset in like a 45 second stand. Got back to the truck before it was even dark.

Came running in after my opening sequence, which is about 15 seconds then I pause it, had to bark at it to get it to stop at around 70 yards and tipped it over with a 60GR nosler to the high chest/low neck head on, folded like a pretzel. Right after the shot a second one jetted out from behind it, across some ice and into a thick mountain lorel patch. Got a second look at it moving during pup distress but it eventually circled behind me an out of dodge.

Spent most of the day targeting bobcat, figured I go for yotes my last stand.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/06/17 07:55 PM

My friend and I headed into the Berkshires this morning, the wind was terrible, but we kept driving around to get between some hills and into shelter and on our third stand he scored on a 47 pound male. I was using "screaming coyote pup" near max on my Hellfire to carry over the gusts. Most of the tracks were blown over with snow so couldn't tell how fresh. Looks like the next weeks weather won't be too good.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/06/17 08:32 PM

My friend and I headed into the Berkshires this morning, the wind was terrible, but we kept driving around to get between some hills and into shelter and on our third stand he scored on a 47 pound male. I was using "screaming coyote pup" near max on my Hellfire to carry over the gusts. Most of the tracks were blown over with snow so couldn't tell how fresh. Looks like the next weeks weather won't be too good.

Nice thumbup1 , have got to love pup distress.

I've mainly been in the berkshires aswell

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/08/17 08:01 PM

47 lbs male is a corker! Congrats... any pics??

Send em in.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/09/17 12:50 PM

Goes to show you that when most people tell you to stay home when its windy, don't listen to them up here.
Windier the better, save the places that you really cant get into with out getting busted for windy nights.
The wind messes up the coyotes hearing, if you move in against a brush back ground that is moving, it defeats his eyes, and the wind takes your sent and dissipates it big time, confusing the coyote long enough for a shot. they have to eat, bread and enforce their territory, no matter what the weather. Great job and way to go!! That's a nice score for your efforts..

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/09/17 09:55 PM

Thanks guys, I try to make the best of every day, use terrain to manage the wind, and take some long walks to get to the setup. I have some pics on my I phone, and my camera, but get too frustrated with photo bucket when I try to post them, no patience.
Posted by: West.Mass.Hunter

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/10/17 09:09 AM

Hey guys I'm Josh and new to the forum and just read this 23 page thread. Seems like a good group of hunters. I hunt everywhere between Pelham and Granville, and between CT and VT , I am looking for a partner (I know nobody knows me and I'm not looking to steal areas), I've been solo predator hunting 8years or so and have only had partners on maybe 12 stands. I'd like to chat with anyone on hear or over a beer or coffee and maybe get a partner for next season. I've called in a good number of coyotes and a couple fox, but only killed one coyote, hate to admit it but wounded 2 others, and I called in a bear that my buddy shot at 20 feet. Hope to hear from someone that's interested

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/13/17 10:37 AM

Tough out there now... no where to park.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/14/17 09:47 PM

I just brought the snow shoes down from the attic and the dead coyote retrieval sled.. I am getting to old for this crap!!LOL!! scared

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/14/17 10:44 PM

I was too tired Monday from snow removal to go out, and howling from my driveway didn't get answers from the usual suspects, and anyway , today was a chick holiday. Found a nice set of cat tracks this morning walking the dog, but really only interested in coyotes. I'll try in the morning before the rain starts, snowshoes are ready. The weekend sounds like good weather, but I'll be working at the camping show to make some hunting $$. Hopefully the snow will be down a bit next week.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/15/17 11:46 AM

Made a few stands today, had to deal with quite a bit of fog. Could only see 100 yards at most and sometimes only 30 yards. Only action was a golden retriever that went after my call and it's owner standing dumbfounded when I stood up. Typical WMA problem.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/15/17 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: West.Mass.Hunter
Made a few stands today, had to deal with quite a bit of fog. Could only see 100 yards at most and sometimes only 30 yards. Only action was a golden retriever that went after my call and it's owner standing dumbfounded when I stood up. Typical WMA problem.

Nothing worse than dogwalkers on property funded by hunting license fees. I've had my run-in's on wma's but can't say I've had a domestic dog run to the call, nice job.

Dont get discouraged because I kill 99% of all my predators on WMA land. Just have to stay away from the dogwalkers as hard as that can be at times.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/15/17 03:45 PM

That's my 5th time in 8 or 9 years of predator hunting that that's happened,so I can't complain to much. All but 1 was on a WMA

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/15/17 08:31 PM

I've called in a few dogs, the funniest was a Doberman with a human sweatshirt. The best was when two black labs came around the trail just before I started to call. I waited a couple mins. and a woman came up , and asked me what I was hunting for, and I said "coyotes, but I can go go somewhere else" her reply was "no I'll go somewhere else, kill them all ". She called the dogs, turned with a wave and said good luck.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/15/17 08:50 PM

She has the right mentality. Id hate to see a German shepard out in the field. Good luck trying to make out the differnce at 50+ yards

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/18/17 05:47 PM

Anyone here familiar with ATN X-Sight 2?? Looking to dip my toes into night hunting with night vision but don't want to/refuse to drop a mortgage payment on a scope! These don't seem to bad. Plus $600 is doable

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/27/17 08:20 PM

Hey bay state vote..how is the season going? I am doing Ok.. at 14 so far and will have a good crack at over next weekend with the mrs. out of town.

My mojo saves the day a lot. But mostly day calling for me down here. Longest shot ever this year at 305 yards. Drop a line sometime.

west.ma Hunter, let us know if you "pull the trigger" on the ATN X.

J

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/27/17 11:51 PM

Mag! how you doing bro!! Your stackin em up!! I am huntin hard till next Wednesday, then maybe I will go to Disney Land LOL!!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/28/17 06:23 PM

Going well. Working in Franklin these days. Did a hunt in Plainville last night...lots of quality sign, no dogs heard or called. Will hit Burrville RI on Friday. Sat and Sunday will be Westport, Tiverton and Little Compton. Shot a very large male on Friday last. Did not weigh it, biggest of season, north of 45 lbs. Two big girls last week with a four dog weekend. Moving more dogs with my Dan Thompson PC2 than the call. Warm weather has made it a different kind of program this year. All good though.

How have you been doing? Not much snow up your way.....

I have taken your advice on with the lanyard working perfect and the glow in the dark paint is easy to see on Gen 3. #97 female wimpers and #99 adult distress bringing in older animals regularly. Still have em charging in #81 Female invitation

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/28/17 11:06 PM

LOL! I hear you, I call and kill all my coyotes with six favorite Wildlife Tech sounds..which is good cus I am getting old and forgetful!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/01/17 07:08 AM

What are you night hunters using for boomsticks?? Being able to only use .22lr, shotguns and muzzeloaders I'm curious

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/01/17 10:06 AM

Night I use my Mossy 935 turkey special..
Day R-15 18" barrel...

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/01/17 12:03 PM

I love my R15 even after the issue I had a few weeks ago. I still won't deny it for walks to coyote stands. How do you like your 935?? Dicks has one for a decent price right now and I'm debating on picking it up, but while researching it is came across the 935 with pistol grips and really liked it, and while researching that one I came across a stoeger m3500 with pistol grips that is a couple hundred dollars less. Now I'm stuck. Save $ on a stoeger which I know nothing about but have read good things about or spend more on the 935 which I've played with before. I have an 11-87 sportsman now but it doesnt take 3.5" shells and i really want a semi and something I can shoot 3.5" out of.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/01/17 01:38 PM

Mass, don't do anything maybe I will sell you mine, with a pile of extras like chokes and stuff. My shoulders and hands are getting worse every year and I think I will not be able to shoot a shotgun next year...

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/01/17 05:53 PM

3 inch mag works just fine for me with managable recoil. Rem 870 rusty dented scratched old girl with new barrel. Turkey tube and #4 buck gets it done. Bushmaster predator 20 inch. 2 stage trigger, nikon m223 nikoplex, vortex micro redot for close up work, really nice addition. I would stay with the moss berg. Cant beat that gun....

Sorry to hear your hands are getting worse BY. Keep at it!!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/01/17 06:16 PM

I have nothing against the 3", I just figure if I can have a bit more thump then why not. Buck shot is only legal for 2 weeks in Mass so that's out. I wish that wasn't the case because it's WAY cheaper the 3" & 3.5" Dead coyote "T" What caliber is your bushmaster??

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/01/17 11:19 PM

Mass, try some other brands, Winchester and Federal are making coyote loads..
Posted by: ChR1s

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/03/17 02:34 PM

Anyone here familiar with ATN X-Sight 2?? Looking to dip my toes into night hunting with night vision but don't want to/refuse to drop a mortgage payment on a scope! These don't seem to bad. Plus $600 is doable

I've got a first gen X-Sight 3x-12. Paid less than $500 for it. Works well, but it does have some quirks to become familiar with in order to get the most out of it. I'd buy another.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/05/17 06:06 PM

The lack of fire power we are allowed to use in this state after dark is the problem, Yep life in the Peoples Republik...

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/06/17 06:49 PM

.223 on the Bushmaster.

had unreal weekend and the cold had them moving. Two dogs down on Sat and had four in the kill zone on Sunday. Only came away with one. My pal missed his 19th, 20th and 21 st coyotes hunting with me...all in a row. too funny Simply awesome with the crazy cold they were so hungry. Skunk distress, blue Jay, crows and coyote vocals got em going. Two were within 10 yards and one was out at 120. mmmmmmissed them all.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/07/17 11:56 AM

What are you night hunters using for boomsticks?? Being able to only use .22lr, shotguns and muzzeloaders I'm curious

12GA at night, Versa-Max with a red-dot.

Forget the muzzleloader, theirs now language on the books specifically stating not leagl when their's 22LR restrictions in place (night hunting). It's deep and hidden within the laws.

Some use 22LR and i've considered it, you can hit them out further but it has the same "effective" kill range as the 12GA with way less projectiles. I know people that have used 22LR and they seldom find them.

Best not to overthink it you'll wear yourself down, bottom line the laws suck. Stick with the 12GA and good loads.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/07/17 06:28 PM

agreed

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/07/17 07:13 PM

Going well. Working in Franklin these days. Did a hunt in Plainville last night...lots of quality sign, no dogs heard or called. Will hit Burrville RI on Friday. Sat and Sunday will be Westport, Tiverton and Little Compton. Shot a very large male on Friday last. Did not weigh it, biggest of season, north of 45 lbs. Two big girls last week with a four dog weekend. Moving more dogs with my Dan Thompson PC2 than the call. Warm weather has made it a different kind of program this year. All good though.

How have you been doing? Not much snow up your way.....

I have taken your advice on with the lanyard working perfect and the glow in the dark paint is easy to see on Gen 3. #97 female wimpers and #99 adult distress bringing in older animals regularly. Still have em charging in #81 Female

invitation

Ma
Looks like we are hitting the same areas. I travel around as well. Wrentham to Westport and every town in between. Good to see local guys getting it done. We have been on fire last few weeks. January is always slow for us calling. The warm weather didn't help. We just night hunt all season. Darker the better lol

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/07/17 08:32 PM

12GA at night, Versa-Max with a red-dot.

Forget the muzzleloader, theirs now language on the books specifically stating not leagl when their's 22LR restrictions in place (night hunting). It's deep and hidden within the laws.

Some use 22LR and i've considered it, you can hit them out further but it has the same "effective" kill range as the 12GA with way less projectiles. I know people that have used 22LR and they seldom find them.

Best not to overthink it you'll wear yourself down, bottom line the laws suck. Stick with the 12GA and good loads.

This state can't make anything black and white can they. Thanks for the info on the muzzleloader. Do you use NV or thermal with the red dot or just use the moon? And are you hunting over bait or calling??

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/08/17 07:34 AM

"make 5000 laws and everyone will eventually be a criminal"
They do not want clarity, that's the whole idea..

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/08/17 02:52 PM

When contemplating MA Law(s) start with this Proviso: Everything is Illegal in Massachusetts.

Works for me...

T2G

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/08/17 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Tommy2Gun
When contemplating MA Law(s) start with this Proviso: Everything is Illegal in Massachusetts.

Works for me...

T2G

LOL. That's a good way to look at it

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/08/17 06:54 PM

Hey Twhitey We should chat sometime. Getting ready for Fri-Sun extravaganza. Wife and daughters gone for weekend. Dogfire!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/11/17 07:26 AM

Seasons been over for a couple days now, what's your final body counts? Killed while calling, killed while over bait, or chance encounters?? Night time or day? Coyotes, fox and cats

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/11/17 07:32 PM

Well with the limited time I had I called and killed 5 coyotes, 4 within 1/4 mile of my house. Biggest was a 44 pound male, smallest a 28 pound female. Also called in a 47 pound male for my friend. Called in a very small cat and gave it a pass. I know out west that would just be one average morning, but its tough in the timber. I also know I called in some I never saw, because I could hear them walking just out of sight. Best part was no misses, and no hit and lost.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/11/17 10:41 PM

That's actually a better way to look at your season. "No misses, and no hits and loses "
Zero for the board. I had one miss, two misfires and one wounded with the shotgun mad

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/12/17 05:32 PM

At 20 even since Jan 1. 14 calling. 6 over bait. Andy missed four with me calling. Borris missed three, all with night vision. Very tough learning curve. Bobby did not bring his shotgun to RI and had one staring him down at 10 yards. not safe for me to shoot. I had all but one of the missed dogs handy and either did not or could not get the shot. Great season and RI still open.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/15/17 05:48 PM

At 22 now. One more and 2016 record will be broken!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/15/17 05:49 PM

Hey mass hunter....last dog 44 lbs on the scale...must be a twin to yours! I'll try and get a pic...kids filled my computer up with water and its at the shop....

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/15/17 10:26 PM

Seperated at birth? Mine was shot in Holyoke, how about yours ?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/16/17 05:40 PM

in the heart!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/16/17 05:40 PM

it is from Tiverton RI though I would be funny.....

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/16/17 10:56 PM

Got me there ! As I remember there some real nice farms and country around the Tiverton and Little Compton area, as well as over the line around Westport.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/17/17 01:07 AM

Seperated at birth? Mine was shot in Holyoke, how about yours ?

Mount tom area?
I live in south hadley.
I've called a bit off of southhampton rd

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/17/17 06:09 AM

south east corner of the state just over border from MA yes, there are some nice farms here for sure.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/17/17 09:31 PM

I live on the corner of Southampton Rd and Rock Valley Rd. Grew up there when there were no coyotes.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/17/17 09:35 PM

I used to travel that area 35 yrs ago, I sold guns and ammo to Bob Oliver and Ron O'Conner at Bobs Sport shop in Westport.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/17/17 10:34 PM

I built a garage for my father's buddy on rock Valley Rd a couple years ago. I've seen a few fox up there.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/19/17 12:13 PM

thats cool! I remember Bob's store and visited on occaision. That was a long time ago!!

I grew up in acushnet and mattapoisett and never heard or saw a coyote until I moved to dartmouth in 1994.

I missed number 23 yesterday. It was a long shot and I let my excitment get the best of me. Came out on coyotes fighting... Great hunt...now I am on a mission

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/21/17 04:59 PM

Any massachusetts residents feeling generous?? I'm selling raffle tickets for the Shriners Sportsmans of MA

Please PM me if your interested. Thank you for your support

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/28/17 07:36 PM

Number 23 complete. Got it done. In new record country now!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/28/17 09:19 PM

That's awesome. Congratulations!! Do you know the rifle/shotgun ratio?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/29/17 06:16 PM

22 rifle 1 shotgun

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/29/17 06:16 PM

thanks too!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 04/01/17 08:00 AM

24! Got another in LC on Wed eve.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 04/01/17 08:02 AM

Rifle. 30 yards. Used Vortex Razor micro red dot on top of scope as moving fast and very close. DRT.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 04/09/17 10:53 AM

two more this last week. now standing at 26!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 04/09/17 01:49 PM

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 04/09/17 08:58 PM

Good going ! Must be in RI ?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 04/10/17 11:07 AM

Some more details other than numbers would be great and more informative. Not to be a jerk but every year when mass seasons closed you finally log in and continually post your Rhode Island numbers with no pictures, hunt stories, substance, etc..

Congrats on 26 though, that's a great accomplishment in the northeast.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 04/18/17 08:02 PM

Hey Larueminati
Great to hear from you! yep RI is pretty fun. I'll try and get some pics up and have a bunch. It was a great season and my pal hit my LC spot on Sat April 15 and got two more there. One recovered and the other rolled into the thick. 13 from one property since Jan 1 is pretty amazing. It is so crazy thick there and now wet, tracking is aweful so no complaints on not recovering dog 2. Much easier when frozen. I was fishing down south so took a pass.

Southeastern RI has more dogs than anywhere I have hunted. So much in-accessable property and the goofy program to hunt on private property only creates opportunity for coyote population growth. I did get #27 there on April 7. Took three sets. Finally, a nice male came in to rally howls. He stopped at 120 yards, hit him hard. Spinner and connected again after to FTF a miss, and FTF. AR is a great platform, but I struggle sometimes. Sorry to disappoint with lack of details over the season...did not want to be space hog.

My daughter dumped a full glass of water into my computer in January so I have not updated my photobucket thing. I'll try and do that tonight.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 11/11/17 08:38 PM

Anyone out there trying to call in bears in the second season ? They are working the beechnuts where there are any, but I find them pretty spotty. I tried fawn and goat bleats on my Hellfire a couple times but only called in four angry does.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 11/12/17 09:29 AM

I'm not sure how legal it would be to use an electronic caller in our state. I did call in two different bears during spring turkey season a couple years ago. I was using a slate call and both definitely came in because of the calling.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 11/12/17 09:39 AM

Bear hunting with an electronic caller is 100% legal.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 11/12/17 07:12 PM

Its legal, spelled out in the abstracts. I often use a turkey call to cover my steps when walking in noisy woods for bear and deer hunting. I have walked up on bears while turkey hunting pretty often over the years, but never had one respond that I know of.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 11/15/17 07:01 PM

Bear hunting with an electronic caller is 100% legal.
Its legal, spelled out in the abstracts.

Would one of you W. Mass. guys be kind enough to tell me exactly where in the abstracts you found that electronic callers are legal for bears in Mass.?

I can't seem to find anything about them being legal only that electronic callers are illegal for game birds, turkey, or deer.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 11/16/17 12:00 AM

Sorry, I wasn't clear, they say whats illegal, like bait and dogs, not illegal, its legal. Like no electronic calls for deer, but you know you can rattle, or use a grunt call.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 11/16/17 09:27 AM

masshunter:
I thought this would be how you came to your conclusion. I agree that something not written as "illegal" should be considered "legal". Considering the state we live in I'm always cautious.

Thanks for the response and good luck if you try calling one.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/19/18 03:09 PM

Got my first red fox today!!
Not much of a story though. Happened quicker than any hunt I've been on. I must have set up right on top of her because she came in within 30 seconds of hand calling. Shot her at 22 yards in some thick young pines. She's a small one maybe 12 lbs but big or small, a first is a first!! Called her in with one of Catwhacker's calls!
[img:left]https://www.flickr.com/gp/156980719@N03/70093q[/img]
[img:left]https://www.flickr.com/gp/156980719@N03/3e08CY[/img] [img:left][/img]

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/19/18 04:07 PM

Can anyone tell me how o get my pictures uploaded??

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/26/18 11:50 PM

Used two different pheasant sounds for 20 minutes then switched to Lightning Jack. Within a few minutes this 36 pound male came running in. Shot him at 60 yards, Savage .223 using a 55gr Sierra BlitzKing.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/27/18 12:10 AM

OK I think this should be the right picture.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/27/18 01:22 AM

Good job!! thumbup

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/27/18 09:05 AM

W. MA Hunter
Thanks. Did you figure out how to post pics of your red fox? I've only ever called in one gray, but never a red.

There's a good tutorial on the Photo Gallery page:

video how to post photos
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 all )
by 7mmCritterGetter

Just go to the bottom of page 8. Makes it pretty easy.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/27/18 03:23 PM

Thanks duck, bad dawg helped me out. Thanks for reminding me as I forgot

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/27/18 08:54 PM

Nice going Duck, Don't have any pheasant sounds, but that and turkey are on to do list. Not doing too well this season, but not getting out much. You got a lot more snow than me.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/27/18 09:22 PM

masshunter:

FYI:
FoxPro also has some "chicken in distress" sounds. I have helped to release pheasants on a preserve and especially the hens can do a lot of squawking. The chicken distress is a little deeper sounding than the pheasant distress.

I have only used pheasant sounds a few times, but haven't had any response, yet. I have seen both coyote and bobcat respond to turkey gobbles and hen turkey sounds, but so far the only things that have responded in the winter to turkey gobbles are gobblers.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/29/18 06:06 AM

Thanks Duck. I'm gonna order some sounds. I used to use a turkey call quite a bit when I first started with no luck, except during turkey season when coyotes were out of season.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/30/18 08:56 AM

Nice job guys, at least someones killing em'

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/30/18 10:35 PM

Got a 36 1/2 pound male today on my 5th stand. Came into a mix of bird sounds. I'd been carrying a rifle lately because of hangups, don't you know this guy came in close thru thick stuff and I had to thread a bullet thru it at about 50 feet.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/31/18 03:07 PM

Got a 36 1/2 pound male today on my 5th stand. Came into a mix of bird sounds. I'd been carrying a rifle lately because of hangups, don't you know this guy came in close thru thick stuff and I had to thread a bullet thru it at about 50 feet.

thumbup

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/31/18 07:57 PM

masshunter:

Good job! I new there must be coyotes somewhere in Mass.
Posted by: catwhacker

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/08/18 10:40 PM

Got my first red fox today!!
Not much of a story though. Happened quicker than any hunt I've been on. I must have set up right on top of her because she came in within 30 seconds of hand calling. Shot her at 22 yards in some thick young pines. She's a small one maybe 12 lbs but big or small, a first is a first!! Called her in with one of Catwhacker's calls!
[img:left]https://www.flickr.com/gp/156980719@N03/70093q[/img]
[img:left]https://www.flickr.com/gp/156980719@N03/3e08CY[/img] [img:left][/img]

Sweet!! Nothing better than hand calling them in!!
Nice work!!!!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/23/18 09:55 AM

Last weekend for fox, haven't seen any yet!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/05/18 11:18 PM

Got a late start this morning, but headed for a WMA that holds deer late in the year and figured I'd combine calling and antler hunting. sure enough mid morning I saw about 5 or 6 flags bouncing away, and I could even smell them, so set up for about half an hour of fawn distress. No takers , then moved on but switched to vocals and bird sounds after I found fresh bear tracks. Had one coyote respond, but a tough , twisting, steep uphill shot and missed. No yote and no antlers, but found a nice beech grove with lots of scratched up trees to check out next fall.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/06/18 09:07 AM

Got a late start this morning, but headed for a WMA that holds deer late in the year and figured I'd combine calling and antler hunting. sure enough mid morning I saw about 5 or 6 flags bouncing away, and I could even smell them, so set up for about half an hour of fawn distress. No takers , then moved on but switched to vocals and bird sounds after I found fresh bear tracks. Had one coyote respond, but a tough , twisting, steep uphill shot and missed. No yote and no antlers, but found a nice beech grove with lots of scratched up trees to check out next fall.

At least you called one in, that provided some action.

I've been keeping my eye out for sheds, nothing yet.
Posted by: Sgt.Tony

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 07/20/18 03:06 AM

I'm in western CT. No closed season here. But daylight only and no Sundays.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/09/18 09:21 AM

Opening day is coming up fast, sounds like it will be a bit cooler, maybe a frost to keep the ticks down. They have been taunting me almost every night.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/09/18 09:31 AM

Opening day is coming up fast, sounds like it will be a bit cooler, maybe a frost to keep the ticks down. They have been taunting me almost every night.

Indeed! The season came up quick, I haven't even reloaded ammo for the season yet.

I'll be out Saturday but i'll probably wait for snow on the ground before I go out at night so at least I can see. It's tough with no snow even with a full moon.

Good luck!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/11/18 11:52 AM

Took a walk this morning to check out for Saturday, and the archery opener, coyote droppings, deer tracks,and a bear track all in the same mud patch ! I'm pumped !

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/11/18 03:28 PM

Took a walk this morning to check out for Saturday, and the archery opener, coyote droppings, deer tracks,and a bear track all in the same mud patch ! I'm pumped !

Nice, i'll be heading out your way. Probably call in the Worthington area.

I don't bow hunt but i'm sure i'll see some good sign that's COLD by the time shotgun rolls around.

Good luck!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/11/18 07:57 PM

Good luck ! Love that big woods, but I'll be staying close to home the first day,family obligations in the afternoon.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/20/18 02:34 PM

Any luck so far??

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/29/18 04:46 PM

Any luck so far??

NOPE

Tough year weatherwise for the 9-5 guys that only hunt Saturdays, been raining every Saturday since opening. I usually don't go out at night until we get snowfall, can't see much otherwise.

I'll be out this weekend then it's off to deer season out-of-state.

Good luck fella's, lets here it if you had success.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/16/19 11:51 PM

After all the wind I got out Tuesday morning and on the second stand got a 41 pound female to one of the "showshoe rabbit" sounds. Must be 20 miles to the nearest snowshoe rabbit. This morning with the same sound I called in and rolled one, but couldn't find it after it ran off. Back windy as heck again. Anyone else getting out ?

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/17/19 08:19 AM

After all the wind I got out Tuesday morning and on the second stand got a 41 pound female to one of the "showshoe rabbit" sounds. Must be 20 miles to the nearest snowshoe rabbit. This morning with the same sound I called in and rolled one, but couldn't find it after it ran off. Back windy as heck again. Anyone else getting out ?

Nice!! Snowshoe #2 is a sound I use quite a bit.

Went out Saturday looking for a cat, made 4 stands. Nothing. Hopefully will get out this Saturday before the storm rolls through and then you can't park anywhere anymore.

Good luck out there

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/17/19 11:33 AM

Congrats masshunter, I haven't been out once. 2 guys short on my machine so I'm working 65+ hours a week, and to top that off my past 3 weekends (Wednesday and Thursday) I've had either a child or a wife home sick.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/23/19 05:55 PM

Went out to try the moon last night, did two sets right behind my house as the wind was perfect. No coyotes showed during my 45 min sets, 8:30 to 9:15, and 11:10 to midnight. My first set brought in a grey fox when I turned the sound down to 3, a lesson there I think. I kept him around for a live decoy. Also on both sets a big owl kept attacking my mojo critter that I always tie down. I did a big circle this morning and no fresh tracks that wern't there the day before, so I guess they were all out of hearing. I don't think the fox would have hung around if he smelled any yotes. Don't think I'll have any moon tonight with the rain.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/23/19 08:12 PM

Went out to try the moon last night, did two sets right behind my house as the wind was perfect. No coyotes showed during my 45 min sets, 8:30 to 9:15, and 11:10 to midnight. My first set brought in a grey fox when I turned the sound down to 3, a lesson there I think. I kept him around for a live decoy. Also on both sets a big owl kept attacking my mojo critter that I always tie down. I did a big circle this morning and no fresh tracks that wern't there the day before, so I guess they were all out of hearing. I don't think the fox would have hung around if he smelled any yotes. Don't think I'll have any moon tonight with the rain.

Gotta love those owls, iíve had two big fluffy ones come in this year.

Keep after em. Iíll be back out this weekend.

I havent seen a fox in a long time. Been a few years since ive called one.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 01/23/19 11:00 PM

The fox stay close to houses now, I have them on the camera but seldom see tracks out in the woods.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/02/19 01:38 PM

I was FINALLY able to get out for the first time this 2018/2019 season. Between work, kids wrestling ,bball and the flu that hit all 5 of us in the house one week after another I never had the time. I went out wednesday am and made 4 stands with my father. First stand ended when my father shaved a coyote at 40 yards or so. I couldn't get a follow up shot and neither could he. Took about 21 minutes till that dog came in.
Next 3 stands were blanks.
My father went to the range thursday to check his zero and he was 4" high and 3" left at 100 yards. Something hanky happened because he took that gun to the range on monday to check zero and it was good!! [beeep] Luck

How have you guys been doing??

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 02/03/19 11:37 AM

I've had a very slow start to this season, due to never ending flu/cold. One bobcat down, and no coyote seen other than on trail cam. Hoping to get some stands in during this warm spell coming. At least I'll be warm!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/01/19 09:59 AM

Been getting out a little, sick me, sick wife, very sick dog, and crap weather have intervened but I did miss 2 hard chargers a couple weeks ago, called in a red fox weds. morning that I gave a pass, kept it around for a decoy before dog walkers spoiled the spot. That night was pretty bright while snowing, so I made a stand about 11:15, and had a coyote do a run by so fast I couldn't get a shot. Only a week left of the season and more crap weather coming. I made one stand this morning with no takers, hope to get out this pm.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/07/19 07:25 AM

Got out yesterday morning at first light calling to a spot they howl from almost nightly, but crunchy snow may have given me away, only called in a barred owl

Got a 40 pound female yesterday morning, at a stand I call 4 or 5 times a year, and have never called in a yote {that I saw}. I was using Lightning Jack at very low volume, a sound I seldom use. Came in at about 5 min and caught a load of Win. BB. Stayed another 45 min but the wind picked up and started swirling back and forth. anyway, two more days. Hard to fnd a place to park.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/07/19 10:58 AM

Tuesday, I was out in the afternoon targeting bobcat. As soon as the sun went down, I had barking to the south of me and howling to the north. I'd forgotten to pack my [beeep] diaphragm call, and attempted a challenge bark. They laughed at me.

Last night, I had the Shockwave with me. I set it and ensured it worked, then parked myself in a stand near where I heard the commotion the night prior. As soon as the sun set, they were back at it howling. I attempted to use the Shockwave but it wouldn't respond. Defeated again. It was like the caller went into sleep mode? The caller powered up just fine after I got it home. Energizer Lithium, with only a bit of time on them. Not sure what the issue was, but temps had fallen hard.

Maybe I'll try that soft calling tactic before they begin their howling.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/07/19 10:01 PM

I had a problem with my Hellfire in the cold, and it was the remote battery not the caller. Even though it showed as power on the remote, as soon as I changed it I was good to go. Hate these last couple days, taking dog to the vet in the morning, then new dryer getting delivered in the afternoon. Day is shot. Got a NH licence for my B day so I can get up there and hunt with my buddy. Good luck to all that get out. Do you hunt the Valley, Hill towns, or the Berkshires ? I was stuck close to home in the valley this year.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/08/19 11:48 AM

Caller functioned last night, but no takers. All quiet out there. I've been staying in the hills of zone 4S, but hoping to make a stand in a WMA field before the season ends. Going to check some parking spots on the way home today.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/10/19 08:45 PM

So Saturday night about eight I took mo dog out an heard howling from five locations covering three towns. I think they were celebrating the end of the season !

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/10/19 09:53 PM

Based on my poor success this season and seeing very few MA hunters posting about their success I'd say quite a few coyotes made it through the season.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 03/14/19 10:11 PM

Headed across the border to NY to call on some private land. Fresh coyote tracks in the snow, but no response. Oh yeah, on my 3rd stand I called in a bobcat. Just about 60 yards from my position. Of course, the season on them is closed.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/01/19 08:28 PM

18 more days boys!!!! I live to snipe the doggies!!! got 29 last season..

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/01/19 09:32 PM

Anyone here read about the proposed new coyote hunting regs ? Seems the F&W board is proposing a ban on "hunting contests" and also a wanton waste reg that would include coyotes. It was on the GOAL website, I skimmed through it earlier, but can't seem to bring it back up. Seems a coyote contest on Cape Cod last year stirred up some anti hunters, and now the board is considering a public hearing on the changes. Last spring at a hunter ed class I was working in Southwick the EPO that came to speak mentioned wanton waste, and the fact that Mass has no such law while addressing PR and not leaving dead coyotes around to offend non hunters.I didn't think much of it, at the time, and didn't question her further, but I know she's an avid trapper and skins and sells everything. Can't recall her name but she's a Lt. I think, and lives here in W.Mass. I don't know what that would mean for the mangy, or shot up yotes. I would guess if this comes to pass the on line reporting will fall off.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/01/19 09:49 PM

M.H.
Yes, the "dreaded coyote contests" are out, seems they were a scourge to humanity and had to go the way of the dodo bird. I do not know what
happened on the Cape, so I cant comment, and while I am one of the more serious dog hunters in my area, I have never been in a contest, I tend to keep a low profile due to this being the "Peoples Republik of Mass".

You will now have to tag your kills within 48 hours online, versus waiting and doing it before the season ends.

As for "wanton waste" not sure what that is.. but just have to say people need to use their heads, we need to make sure the public does not see dead coyotes laying around.

Sad thing is we have hunters who are morons and they give us good hunters a bad name...Low profile is the only way to hunt...

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/01/19 09:58 PM

Just found it spelled out in the Berkshire Eagle. I agree on low profile. Really wish I could find a reliable market for them. Its coming up fast, good luck to all!

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/02/19 09:22 PM

Mass, I see what your talking about, Mass Game just sent me email with a hearing notice. I thought it was a done deal, from what I read on their site..
One at Westborough, and one at Lee, let me know if you want to go, I may pop in, and voice my opinion about wanton waste B.S.

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/06/19 08:54 PM

What are the dates ? I havn't seen anything yet

Re: Massachusetts predator hunters - 10/06/19 09:00 PM

See it now, 10/22 in Lenox, 10/29 in Westboro.