Foaming bore cleaner

Posted by: Squeeze

Foaming bore cleaner - 12/05/18 08:55 PM

So I guess I live under a rock. When did Break-Free stop making their bore cleaning foam? I believe Safariland owns the brand, and it isn't on their website anymore, and I can't find anyone selling it anymore...Or am I just internet search challenged?

Anyone know of a source source for this, or any other bore cleaning foam, that cleans copper, that they would recommend?

Squeeze
Posted by: SlickerThanSnot

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/05/18 09:00 PM

wipe out
Posted by: erict

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/05/18 09:03 PM

More reading than you'll do in a week on gun cleaning and foaming bore cleaners, and an answer to your question, can be found here: Gun Cleaning posts.
Posted by: Rock Knocker

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/05/18 10:25 PM

I've never seen wipe out on the shelves around me but I can find the gun slick foaming cleaner everywhere so that's what I use and I would say it works great.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/05/18 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: erict
More reading than you'll do in a week on gun cleaning and foaming bore cleaners, and an answer to your question, can be found here: Gun Cleaning posts.

No offense intended, but I used to hang out at AR, a long time ago. Reading those posts reminds me why I left. Maybe it is the case of too many answers, and I don't know who the creditable posters are there, to sort them out. I guess I can give Wipe-Out a try, and get the special applicator nozzle, so I don't have a mess. I know from my borescope Break-Free BCF worked, albeit sometimes it took a couple of rounds to get all of the copper streaks out. It sounds like Wipe-Out is very similar, but I need to order the $4 special applicator nozzle to avoid the mess the standard fog horn end makes.

I do know that Shooter Choice isn't an alternative. I have an almost full can that doesn't squirt anymore, and the one time I tried it, my borescope said it wasn't impressive.

I am looking for the convenience of a foam that takes powder and copper fouling out, in one step. I got kind of spoiled with Break-Free BCF.

Squeeze
Posted by: hm1996

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/06/18 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Rustydust
Thanks for your report, Keith.

You know, the 12oz can of Gunslick foaming bore cleaner is about the same price as the Wipe-Out 5oz can is. I have tried them both and cannot tell the difference in how well they clean so I always get the Gunslick.

Anybody ever noticed a much difference between them? They both work well I can tell you that.

I've used Gunslick and can't tell difference between it and Wipeout. Available locally @ WM and Academy.

Discussions on various cleaners:
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...2931&page=1

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...4760&page=4

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3147069

I compared a lot of different bore cleaners using Lyman bore scope and now using TACTICAL ADVANTAGE applied w/wet IOSSO blue nylon brush and let sit overnight. Scrubbing bore 6-8 strokes w/the wet brush usually remove all copper and carbon from two factory barrels which are copper magnets.

Regards,
hm
Posted by: DannoBoone

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/06/18 01:24 PM

Squeeze, that special applicator is $1.99 from Midway. But then,
you need to order other products, or their shipping will more
than eat any savings.
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=Wipe-out&userItemsPerPage=48
Posted by: pahntr760

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/06/18 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: DannoBoone
Squeeze, that special applicator is $1.99 from Midway. But then,
you need to order other products, or their shipping will more
than eat any savings.
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=Wipe-out&userItemsPerPage=48

Clear tubing is less than $1 a foot and can be used as such. And you get multiple "adapters" out of the one section of tubing.
Posted by: jsh

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/06/18 03:00 PM

My findings on the foam cleaners. They dislike or hang up in petro based solvents. I cleaned with strong alcohol or even mineral spirits and let it flash off dry. Then put the foam to it.

Wipe out has an accelerator and for the price and results the alcohol or mineral spirits worked as well.

I use wipe out just because it comes from about 40 miles from me.
Posted by: pyscodog

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/06/18 07:28 PM

Does ANY of these cleaners work better than a good solvent and old fashioned elbow grease?

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/06/18 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: pyscodog
Does ANY of these cleaners work better than a good solvent and old fashioned elbow grease?

Probably not, just a bit quicker and more convenient.

Forgot to mention; the Wipeout applicator was a waste of money for me. The one I got never would seal on the can....foam went everywhere.

Regards,
hm
Posted by: Dultimatpredator

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/06/18 08:04 PM

I use the gun slick. You can watch the foam turn into a blue liquid from the copper fowling being removed. The big key is to make sure you get ALL the remainder of the foam out of the action. If not and left in there it turns to a hard sticky gum. I litteraly glued my action shut years ago from not cleaning out the excess foam left in the action.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/06/18 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Dultimatpredator
I use the gun slick. You can watch the foam turn into a blue liquid from the copper fowling being removed. The big key is to make sure you get ALL the remainder of the foam out of the action. If not and left in there it turns to a hard sticky gum. I litteraly glued my action shut years ago from not cleaning out the excess foam left in the action.

There is zero reason that the foam should be in the action.
Posted by: ackleyman

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/06/18 09:30 PM

I hope you will listen to hm, he is shooting straight on this cleaning issue!

Wipe out is great on copper, but it does not touch carbon unless you use it with the brush, the brush is doing the work.

If you do not like using good bronze bristle brushes, then Isso and Montana Extreme make very, very good plastic brushes.

I have a bore scope, dealing with cooked on carbon is no fun to say the least.

I have been using a product called Bore tec C4, it is a very decent product.

If you have to get carbon out and copper out, RIGHT NOW, then Montana Extreme Copper Killer will get the job done with a good plastic brush.

If you have let carbon build up in your barrel, there are a couple of things that work:

Montana Extreme Copper cream on a brush
JB on a brush
JB saturated on 5 patches, short stroking
ISSO used on patches or brush

If the above does not work, then wrapping some 0000 steel wool on a brush and using JB or Isso for 20 strokes.

If the above does not work, Brownells sells a 600 & 800 grit aluminum Oxide paste, try brushing with this, For comparrison, JB is around 1200 grit.

If your barrel is still has a boat load of carbon, then Brownell's sells a 600 & 800 grit of Silicone Carbide paste, use it on a brush or patches...this is the last resort.

Years ago, I had a 22/250 barrel that had seen 600 rounds shot red hot on Jackrabbits. The barrel got to where it would only shoot around 2" groups. An old gunsmith in San Leandro, Ca recommended to me that I use a good brush with Lava Soap. The barrel went back to shooting again, but I had shot the leade out and had to shoot 63g Sierra's to get it to shoot. I got another 800 rounds out of the barrel after the lava soap treatment.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/06/18 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: pahntr760

There is zero reason that the foam should be in the action.

I agree but I get a back flow every once in a while if I don't have the plastic tube seated all the way into the chamber. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has done this...and after I remove the tube there is always some foam that expands back into the action. I now spray gun scrubber in the action when done to clean out the overflow of foam and then follow up with some oil...then there are no issues.
Posted by: DAA

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/06/18 09:50 PM

^^^^^ No bore guide? Preferably one with proper fitting o-ring.

For any cleaning. But I can't imagine the mess using Wipe out without one.

- DAA
Posted by: pyscodog

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/06/18 09:53 PM

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but on several occasions using any type of foam, I get foam in the action. Thats the main reason I don't really care for it. A good cleaner on a patch and a good brush and some time scrubbing works for me.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/06/18 10:02 PM

Bore guide and tubing on the applicator will eliminate that. If you're getting that much back-flow, you're using too much product.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/06/18 10:33 PM

Use a good bore guide w/proper fitting o'ring and apply foam from breech. I find the correct size tygon tubing to fit snug inside bore guide and leave the can/tubing inserted until foam stops expanding out the muzzle. Voila.....NO foam in action.

Since I clean after every outing, no problems w/long term buildup. As Keith said, foam does not cut carbon. Used various powder cleaning solvents first, followed by foam before bore scope.

After bore scope find that applying Tactical Advantage to Iosso blue nylon brush and making 6-8 passes through bore, let sit overnight will get all powder fouling and most, if not all of the copper out of most barrels w/1-20 rounds through them, even relatively rough factory barrels. Probably wouldn't after a day of shooting prairie dogs. If a trace of copper left, 2nd treatment takes care of it. Haven't used foam since.

Did resort to abrasives mentioned by Keith on a couple of barrels that I THOUGHT were clean before scope but which had a long term copper buildup and some carbon. Once removed, went back to TA.

Regards,
hm
Posted by: desertcj

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/06/18 10:51 PM

I tried the foaming bore cleaners once on a rifle I was shooting mollied Barnes ttsx through. The normal Montana solvents weren't cutting it. It did come clean after about an hour of vigorous scrubbing and soaking but geeze. Then I tried JB and Kroil and I can get my barrels squeaky clean in 30 minutes tops. Patches come out white as the driven snow! I do still use the Montana solvents in conjunction with the JB and Kroil.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/06/18 11:07 PM

Desertcj, how do you use JB and Kroil?

This stuff is a LOT better penetrating oil than kroil

[/URL]

I tried all these, also

[/URL]

Recently, I bought a 308 barrel,31" heavy Palma. Guys said it had 400 rounds through it with 200g bergers. The groves were full of carbon from breach to muzzle! I tried all my favorite scrubbings and soakings. Then I plugged the muzzle with a cork, let the barrel sit in the Free All for two week intervals, scrubbed 10 strokes immediately with new bronze bristle brush, and after 6 weeks(3 soakings) there was still a little bit of carbon in the barrel. Next I scrubbed the barrel with Al Oxide mixed in honing oil. The barrel is now perfectly clean, ready to be Re chambered.

This is a barrel of a top manufacturer, cut rifle barrel. The grooves that were cut had uneven cut marks that looked like scratches or the cutter did not make uniform cuts. These are minor under 25x magnification of the Hawkeye, but this rough micro finish allows carbon to find a crevice to start filling up, then stacking up on.

As an F class shooter, the first owner of this barrel would shoot 60 shot strings getting the barrel very hot. His cleaning regiment was minimal at best. His gunsmith that sold this barrel to me was hesitant on selling it to me. I called him and told him how I got this barrel clean, we was amazed as we both had scrubbed the heck out of this barrel with good bronze bristle brushes and JB to no avail. 308's are generally easy on barrels, and I bet this barrel had more than 400 rounds on it, but the throat was in perfect shape...just unreal hard cooked on carbon deposits.

The barrel will serve well as a long range deer rifle where few shots are fired through a season.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/06/18 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: pyscodog

I can clean with two applications most of the time. That is maybe 4-6 patches down the bore total.
I don't own a bore scope. One local gent that has built a fair bunch of rifles has always said there is a fair bit more bore damage done buy over zealous cleaning than shooting. He uses some type of industrial ammonia, chrome moly and stainless. It will etch SS of not removed properly. He has used it for years and refuses to quit. 5 patches and his barrels are clean. I forget what kind of concoction he has that neutralizes the ammonia.

I use to do a lot of elbow grease and a lot of passes through the bore to get them clean.

As to the foam in the action, sometimes I use foam ear plugs other times I can use a piece of foam cut with a plug cutter, depending on the cartridge.

Heck I still use #9 on a regular basis for cleaning cast bullet shooters. I was raised on it and am partial to the scent. Makes good after shave, :-).

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/07/18 09:01 AM

Guys, I want to thank everyone for the great discussion on bore cleaning. I learned a bunch. And to think this all started by looking for a replacement for Break-Free BCF!

I have not encountered hard carbon that I couldn't get out with solvents and a brush. I am sure I will, so now I have some guidance on resolving that issue. So the lessons for me is: get a better selection of bronze and plastic bore brushes, get some Wipe-Out, for copper, and quick powder solvent removal, get some Bore Tech C4, and Tactical Advantage, and maybe some KG-1, just to have options going after carbon, and finally some JB Bore paste, and Free-All, which I should have around the shop anyway. I already have Montana Extreme solvents. I kind of drifted away from them, when I found foam. The bore scope is suggesting that may have been a mistake. I really wanted bore cleaning to be as simple as "Wipe Out". So much for the easy way out.

Keith's collection of penetrating oils looks like mine. That got a grin.

On a side note, I have a fairly new 260 Rem. barrel, from a well regarded barrel maker, that is refusing to give up its last traces of copper, and last night the bore scope showed some carbon streaks at the throat, that are fighting removal as well. So I have an example to experiment on with some of my new solvents and new knowledge. I did foam it, brush it, and re-foamed it last might. We shall see what it looks like when I get it patched out today.

Thanks again,
Squeeze
Posted by: DannoBoone

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/07/18 02:38 PM

When all else failed to clean a couple stainless barrels this
fall (including JB) I used Flitz Metal Polish as a last resort.
I used it with Kroil just as with JB paste. That finally cut
through the carbon. Nothing but shine revealed by the bore
scope now. Flitz does have some fine grit in it, so it's going
to be used only as a last resort.
Posted by: TripleDeuce660

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/07/18 03:13 PM

I have not had any mess with the foam except on the 17 caliber. Wipe out works great on copper, but I can still get more carbon out. After wipe out I let ballistol soak for several hours to over night and then hit it with a brush. Alternatively, I do the same thing with #9. I dunno if its benchrest clean as I don't have a borescope, but it gets it MOA clean. That is good enough for me. Might try the gunslick but walley world by me doesn't have it.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/07/18 08:22 PM

I have no stakes in JB or Kroil....lol. I'm just trying to help other guys. Maybe you have a cleaning system that works for you and that is awesome. This is what I have found to work for me. 

Montana extreme bore solvent...2 patches. Let soak for 15 minutes. Wipe with 1 patch again of bore solvent. 2 patches of Kroil. Wrap patch around 1 size smaller bore brush, rub JB into it. 30 strokes down and back the barrel. 1 patch of kroil on a jag. Go back to the brush with a patch of JB and 30 more strokes down and back. 2 patches of bore solvent to clean out the bore and I like to finish with Break free CLP personally. I use two patches of CLP. That's the cleanest I have ever seen. You could probably only use one 30 pass regiment on rifles normally cleaned this way?

Copied this from my older post on another forum...

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/08/18 05:22 PM

Since I don't own a bore guide I just ran my straight shot through the Muzzel on my Ruger RAR 22wmr. I removed the bolt and installed a cleaning rod with a cotton tipped jag into the receiver end to block the foam from entering the action. It worked great.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/08/18 06:19 PM

Since I don't own a bore guide I just ran my straight shot through the Muzzel on my Ruger RAR 22wmr. I removed the bolt and installed a cleaning rod with a cotton tipped jag into the receiver end to block the foam from entering the action. It worked great.

Get 60˘ worth of tubing. Stuff it in the chamber and squirt. Its going the other way of the action and will be much cleaner.

And get a bore guide...they're cheap and protect the throat.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/08/18 11:39 PM

I agree with picking up a bore guide but I hate to tell you that spraying the foam the opposite way into the bore is not going to clean any better. Lol...the foam packed barrel brakes down to a complete watery liquid before I remove it. I don't think my barrel knows the difference which way the foam entered. If you believe that spraying foam into barrel one way vs the other will clean it better I've got some swamp land I'll sell you.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/09/18 12:20 AM

I think he is referring to the action will be cleaner if foam inserted from breech w/tubing sealing chamber, thus preventing foam entering action. Plugging one end of a barrel and inserting foam from opposite end can also produce an air bubble toward the plugged end that does not get the full benefit of foaming action.

Regards,
hm

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/09/18 08:10 AM

It's no wonder they put instructions on hammers these days.

- DAA

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/09/18 08:12 AM

Well when I unplugged the hole the foam expanded right up the the end of the chamber so there was foam all the way through....completely filled from front to end so there was no gap or bubbles. I did it twice and let it sit for a good 15 to 20 minutes each time. Are you going to tell me I did it wrong now because the gun wasn't up side down or side ways.lol. You guys are killing me, lol...give me a brake. I hope posters don't believe everything they read here.

WHAT??? You ate a bug Mack and got some on your shirt? You should never eat a big Mack without a napkin wrapped around it! What you ate it upside down and it tasted different? You can't do that because we don't and it's just wrong! You probably got gas and bubbles in your stomach because you ate it wrong...things can be done all different ways with the same results. Dave, to belittle is to be little. You must have got picked on a lot when you were a kid. I feel sorry for you. For some reason it seems you have to put posters down in a lot of your smart Allic replies. I guarantee you in real life you walk away from any confrontation. You are definitely the smartest guy you know. Once again this is Forum to ask questions and help posters when they answer questions. Not to run people down just because their views are diffent or they do something a different way. Really? We are running each other down on how to clean a barrel. It's time to grow up children and I shouldn't have stooped to your level but after a couple of smart Allic replies you get sick of them. It's not doing any good for the forum or helping the the posters with their questions.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/09/18 09:20 AM

Windex gives a streak free clean.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/09/18 11:20 AM

Ha! Believe it or not, I've heard of guys using toothpaste as it is a mild abrasive.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/09/18 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By: desertcj
Ha! Believe it or not, I've heard of guys using toothpaste as it is a mild abrasive.

I never thought of that. The abrasive in tooth paste is desicated... demasticated... domasious... (googled)ok, its diatomaceous earth. I wonder how hard it is on steel. I've got some super fine diatomaceous earth around from some farm use, it's about as fine as flour, I wonder how that would work if I mixed some Butch's with it to a paste like consistency and used that on a patch or brush?
Posted by: Rustydust

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/09/18 11:59 AM

I thought about giving Preparation H a try to clean my barrel. I read somewhere that it was good about getting crap out of tight holes.

Sorry.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/09/18 12:01 PM

And now there's coffee all over my keyboard.

Hahaha, you just made my morning!
Posted by: Coyotejunki

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/09/18 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: DAA
It's no wonder they put instructions on hammers these days.

- DAA

laff'n, yea and they also put signs in some restrooms telling guys not to eat the big green mint in the urinal.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/09/18 04:21 PM

Quote:
Well when I unplugged the hole the foam expanded right up the the end of the chamber so there was foam all the way through....completely filled from front to end so there was no gap or bubbles. I did it twice and let it sit for a good 15 to 20 minutes each time. Are you going to tell me I did it wrong now because the gun wasn't up side down or side ways.lol. You guys are killing me, lol...give me a brake. I hope posters don't believe everything they read here.

Whoa, hoss. Always more than one way to skin a cat, if it works for you, carry on. No need for ruffled feathers.

It's easy to keep foam out of bolt guns using a bore guide and/or proper size tygon tubing to seal the breech and attach to can. Even the cheaper bore guides seal chamber sufficiently to prevent foam leakage into rifle action:

I like the Gunslick Foam as the can has a spout which slips into most bore guides snugly enough to prevent foam leakage.

Muzzle angled very slightly down insures no foam will back up and leak into action while soaking. A steady buildup of foam at muzzle insures no air pockets remain in the bore.

Oh, it's not necessary to keep the gun upside down unless you are cleaning a gas gun with the port located on bottom of bore. smile

Regards,
hm

Posted by: fw707

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/09/18 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Rustydust

I thought about giving Preparation H a try to clean my barrel. I read somewhere that it was good about getting crap out of tight holes.

Sorry.

Rusty,
did you know Prep H is a good toothpaste too?
It doesn’t get your teeth any whiter, but you can whistle a lot better.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/09/18 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Rock Knocker
... diatomaceous earth. I wonder how hard it is on steel.

Diatomaceous earth is in several bore cleaners. JB paste for one.

- DAA

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/09/18 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: DAA
Originally Posted By: Rock Knocker
... diatomaceous earth. I wonder how hard it is on steel.

Diatomaceous earth is in several bore cleaners. JB paste for one.

- DAA

And also works well as an alternative to chemicals for insect control!

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/11/18 08:05 AM

Cleaning rifle barrels is one area where shooters are learning fast. Old habits, wives tales, are being upgraded by this simple and very effective bore scope. This bore scope is almost a must for guys shooting over bore cartridges because of how bad they powder foul.

Lyman Bore scope-$199 from brownell's

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools...-prod81507.aspx

All I can say is that one picture is worth a thousand words.

Have you ever wondered how those guys that shoot the 338 Lapua and 50 bmg clean their rifles shooting from between 120-220g of powder per shell? You know that the powder fouling is unreal.
Posted by: Rustydust

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/11/18 08:30 AM

Originally Posted By: ackleyman

And all I can say if if you think that you have a clean barrel but wonder why your rifle is not shooting well then buy a bore scope then find out why. My crappy shooting guns were not anywhere near clean and my Lyman not only showed me where my barrel needed further cleaning it showed me what kind of fouling it was. You can have all the copper out of a barrel and still have it heavily fouled with carbon. Once your barrel is copper free and carbon free then and only then will it shoot those amazing groups again.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/11/18 08:40 AM

+1 Ackleyman & Rusty! Brownells also offering $10 off on $75 purchase and free shipping w/promotional code @ site. thumbup

Regards,
hm
Posted by: tj66

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/11/18 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By: ackleyman
Cleaning rifle barrels is one area where shooters are learning fast. Old habits, wives tales, are being upgraded by this simple and very effective bore scope. This bore scope is almost a must for guys shooting over bore cartridges because of how bad they powder foul.

Have you ever wondered how those guys that shoot the 338 Lapua and 50 bmg clean their rifles shooting from between 120-220g of powder per shell? You know that the powder fouling is unreal.

Just ordered this a few minutes ago. Add a brush and you can get $25 off and free shipping. Just another way to go farther down the rabbit hole. Should be interesting anyway.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/11/18 04:57 PM

[beeep], y'all are gonna cost me some more money. I have put off a bore scope for some time,but the more I read it may be more of a necessity than we want to think.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/11/18 07:59 PM

Has anyone used the Hoppes #9 foam? I am wondering if it would work well for the carbon aspect of cleaning after de-coppering with Wipe-Out.
Posted by: McGraw

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/11/18 10:31 PM

I sure am liking Iosso paste on a brush after Wipe-Out patch-out to hit the carbon.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/16/18 10:36 AM

In all honesty I removed my action from my ruger RAR the other day after I sat in the rainy slush to give it a good oiling. I found some foam build up I missed on the underside of the action next to the trigger area. Gummy build up again. Won't come off with rem oil or my fingernail. Also most looked like it stained the blueing. I'll go invest in a rod and make sure my action us out of the stock when I use this stuff from now on so in case I get a little sloppy I can clean it off before it dries. I didn't try gun scrubber on it yet but I'm sure it will take it off pretty easy. I'll have to see if stained the bluing when I get it off
Posted by: Stu Farish

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/16/18 12:06 PM

I've been using gunslick and it seems to do a good job, but I don't have a bore scope.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/474487/gunslick-pro-foaming-bore-cleaning-solvent-12-oz-aerosol
Posted by: 204 AR

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/16/18 01:02 PM

I seem to be in the minority, but I hate the spray foam, at least the one I've tried. Gunslick I think. I just seem to get it everywhere. It does seem to do ok on copper at least, but no better than Eliminator. Actually copper is a very small problem in most of my barrels, it's the carbon that gets baked on that can be the tough one. Eliminator carbon remover, brushes, and if all else fails jb bore bright on a patch around a brush seems to work.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/16/18 02:14 PM

Looks like Midway has discontinued Gunslick and price has gone up considerably most places.

Academy still lists @ $12 something a can...about what I paid last time.

GUNSLICK FOAMING BORE CLEANER

Regards,
hm
Posted by: GLShooter

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/16/18 02:22 PM

Sportsmans had a ton of it yesterday. I did pick up soem Tactical Advantage to test how the Gunslick was doing. I found that the Gnslick had done a great job on my 22-NXS with the TA showing zero copper or powder fouling. The patches on them came out lily white. This was what I had seen before using a test run of SWEETS after using the GFBC.

Greg

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/16/18 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: 204 AR
I seem to be in the minority, but I hate the spray foam, at least the one I've tried. Gunslick I think. I just seem to get it everywhere. It does seem to do ok on copper at least, but no better than Eliminator. Actually copper is a very small problem in most of my barrels, it's the carbon that gets baked on that can be the tough one. Eliminator carbon remover, brushes, and if all else fails jb bore bright on a patch around a brush seems to work.

Tactical Advantage on a stiff blue Iosso nylon brush works better than anything I've used on carbon and also takes out any copper if left a while to soak. Apply w/wet brush and make 6-8 passes through bore and let sit (overnight safe and most efficient).

https://shop.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-...FhoCy-YQAvD_BwE

Regards,
hm
Posted by: Stu Farish

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/16/18 02:27 PM

amazon has it but it's $16.50

https://smile.amazon.com/Gunslick-92098-...ng+bore+cleaner

Midsouth is $11.35 but you have to pay shipping. Good addon to other stuff:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0009792098/gunslick-foaming-bore-cleaner-12-oz

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/16/18 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: hm1996
[

Tactical Advantage on a stiff blue Iosso nylon brush works better than anything I've used on carbon and also takes out any copper if left a while to soak. Apply w/wet brush and make 6-8 passes through bore and let sit (overnight safe and most efficient).

https://shop.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-...FhoCy-YQAvD_BwE

Regards,
hm [/quote]

Thnaks for the tip. I did leave it in over night so I am happy. I'm working over my copper pig AR right now as I type and it is just about done with much improvement.

Greg

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/16/18 05:00 PM

I normally get it from Walmart

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/16/18 05:40 PM

Quote:
I did leave it in over night so I am happy. I'm working over my copper pig AR right now as I type and it is just about done with much improvement.

Greg

I shoot a couple of Savages....great testing ground. grin

Regards,
hm

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/16/18 06:01 PM

Over night? Lol...you foam guys crack me up. Glad its working for you though. I'm not that patient.

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/16/18 06:08 PM

Over night? Lol...you foam guys crack me up. Glad its working for you though. I'm not that patient.

Well overnight is not necessary every time but I want to see how this new stuff works. Besides I figured out at my age I don't need to do this 24/7 and clean barrels "right now".

Normal foam treatments take about 20 minutes or so and I routinely do two on each barrel above 20 caliber. The little ones get three doses. Squint it in. Go play on the computer for twenty minutes, run three patches though it and repeat. Hardly labor intensive. During the first cycle I will also foam the BCG and parts in a sandwich bag and then finish them off during the second rotation with reassembly.

I've got 30 + uppers hanging on racks right now though so if you'd like to drop buy and help me touch them up I'd appreciate it. I'll even buy you lunch. Then when we're done with these we can start on the handguns..LOL

Greg

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/16/18 07:20 PM

I've used several brands of foam and MANY regular liquid solvents over the years and have had more patience than time (in years past it was work, now, @ 82 YO hard to say how much time I DO have. lol ). I'm liking Tactical Advantage (it is a liquid, not foam) best at the moment.

Anyway, you can soak multiple rifles simultaneously overnight, or for that matter for several hours during the day without any expenditure of time or effort and any solvent (liquid or foam) will get more copper or carbon out the longer they are allowed to soak.....assuming they are safe to leave in bore for extended time periods. (ie. solvents such as Sweet's will damage barrel if left too long).

Quote:
I've got 30 + uppers hanging on racks right now though so if you'd like to drop buy and help me touch them up I'd appreciate it.

Glad the TA is workin' for ya, Greg. You know, if you line up all those uppers, you could "assembly line" 'em and about the time you applied TA to the last one, enough time would have elapsed to start dry patching the first. lol

Regards,
hm

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/16/18 07:39 PM

I did 22 uppers last year doing four at a time. Foam them and 30 minutes later patch them. I cleaned about half my uppers on that go round. I have a spreadsheet on all my barrels and added a field to track clean vs. dirty.

I have to set down and do about 40 handguns in the near future. They're mostly clean but a little TLC is never a waste.

It would be a lot quicker if I were single as my wife doesn't appreciate the smells of the solvents in the house.

Greg
Posted by: 204 AR

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/16/18 09:21 PM

Thanks for the tip on the TA, anything that makes it easier is worth looking into.
Posted by: songdog

Re: Foaming bore cleaner - 12/18/18 09:20 AM

Wipeout is so simple, and with proper fitting bore guides with o-rings, just seems like a no brainer. Only barrel that I couldn't get clean with wipeout was one that I had failed to keep up on and it got a carbon build up so bad that I had to use JB paste and Kroil.