Feral Cats & Bobcat

Posted by: randolph45

Feral Cats & Bobcat - 04/27/15 06:31 PM

My grandma has about 15 cats and you can't pet a single one of them. Still yet she feeds them twice a day. I went over for my weekly visit Sunday and she asked me if I had seen her bobcat. I assumed she just meant there was another new cat. After further asking questions and gaining a description of the critter, I believe that it very well may be a bobcat. She says he comes up of an evening and eats with all the other cats and then goes back down towards the barn. I haven't seen the critter myself nor any pictures, but is this possible/likely? Anyone ever run across a bobcat that is friendly and eats with other animals?
Posted by: T-Nichols

Re: Feral Bobcat - 04/27/15 06:45 PM

I would think it would eat the house cat first. Don't know
Posted by: Countrystrong

Re: Feral Bobcat - 04/27/15 10:49 PM

Animals do strange things. It wouldn't surprise me if that is the case.
Posted by: 6mm06

Re: Feral Bobcat - 05/04/15 11:31 PM

You might put up a trail camera and see if it is a bobcat. That should be interesting.
Posted by: lon0121

Re: Feral Bobcat - 05/06/15 11:57 AM

Haha who knows, they train lions to let us put a trainers head in thier mouth in the circus. One thing for sure even the tamed ones will never lose a wild mentality/instinct.

Lonnie
Posted by: sandy hicks

Re: Feral Bobcat - 05/09/15 05:11 PM

Easy meal twice per day. Sure dominance in strength and size. More easy meals if times get rough with the other cats. Why not.
Posted by: randolph45

Re: Feral Bobcat - 05/11/15 09:45 AM

Yeah, I'm going to put up a trail camera.
Posted by: shawn@mo

Re: Feral Bobcat - 05/14/15 09:35 PM

We have one at our local hospital I work at and it runs around with the other cats and I swear it is half and half if that is possible I dont know. Looks like a bobcat acts like a bobcat has bob tail produces kittens that look like bobcats its just small.. it is part bobcat or a midget bobcat that has crazy cat friends..
Posted by: shelton573

Re: Feral Bobcat - 06/09/15 11:31 AM

The family that lives by where I used to work on the farm had a bobcat/house cat mix. Its name was Bob (of course) and it had a mid length tail, pointed ears, bobcat looking legs and some bobcat facial features. Other than that it looked like a grey house cat and for the most part acted like a house cat. I believe they bought him from someone who breeds them but I don't know that for sure. It looked enough like a bobcat that one day when we were working in the shop during the winter we looked out the window and saw Bob sneaking through the switchgrass. He got the 22-250 pulled on him until my buddy saw it was Bob so we scooped him up and took him back to them. Poor little feller got a prolapse and ended up dying from gut problems. Cool looking cat!

Shelton
Posted by: Hidalgo

Re: Feral Bobcat - 11/02/15 04:16 PM

There has never been a documented case of a wild bobcat breeding with a domestic cat. Ever. My wife is a board certified critical care veterinarian and also has a specialty license in zoological medicine (wildlife). She laughed when I asked her about this. She did say, however, that there are domestic cat breeds that look very similar to bobcats.

As for the bobcat feeding alongside the domestic cats, that's entirely possible. I've heard of stranger things. Not all "predatory" animals are necessarily 100% predatory. They are also opportunists in some cases. Cat food = easy no-effort meal. But it wouldn't surprise me if the cats go down in numbers over time .......

Re: Feral Bobcat - 11/02/15 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Hidalgo
There has never been a documented case of a wild bobcat breeding with a domestic cat. Ever. My wife is a board certified critical care veterinarian and also has a specialty license in zoological medicine (wildlife). She laughed when I asked her about this. She did say, however, that there are domestic cat breeds that look very similar to bobcats.

As for the bobcat feeding alongside the domestic cats, that's entirely possible. I've heard of stranger things. Not all "predatory" animals are necessarily 100% predatory. They are also opportunists in some cases. Cat food = easy no-effort meal. But it wouldn't surprise me if the cats go down in numbers over time .......

Hey don't throw stones at the messenger hah, that's just what they were told when they got it. What's the breed that looks like them? I'm betting that's what it had to be.
Posted by: Hidalgo

Re: Feral Bobcat - 11/02/15 04:45 PM

SORRY Shelton. I wasn't trying to be an azz. Nor was that directed solely at you. wink

There are several breeds that share markings that are similar to wild bobcats. There are also breeds that are "genetically bred" to resemble bobcats and have odd genetic makeups (don't ask me what that means, lol). You can find these for sale and advertised as "bobcat hybrids" but in reality they are not that at all.

Some domestic cats that look similar to wild bobcats:

American bobtail cat?

Or maybe a "pixie-bob" ?

Re: Feral Bobcat - 11/02/15 05:37 PM

No worries! I know you weren't bein an a**, just setting fact straight! It looked like the bottom one but was more a grey color I do believe. Neat little cat none the less!
Posted by: kymailman98

Re: Feral Bobcat - 11/09/15 02:08 PM

I have always wondered about such a thing myself. My son is an insurance agent, and one of his customers claim to have a half bobcat-half housecat cross, and I've seen the pics. According to them, they had seen a bobcat hanging around their farm, and then saw it "playing" with one of their barn cats. Several months later, kittens were born that resembles the bobcat. The pictures I've seen are of a grey spotted cat with a bobtail and a head that looks like a bobcat. A friend of mine caught a cat in a live trap several years ago, that looked very similar to the other cat, and was the wildest thing he'd ever seen. I googled the question "can a bobcat mate with a domestic cat", and got several hits that say it has happened. Whatever the case is, I cannot imagine that such a critter would make a good pet.
Posted by: Goe Blow

Re: Feral Bobcat - 12/10/15 10:07 PM

check out linx maybe
Posted by: idahorob

Re: Feral Bobcat - 06/26/16 04:08 PM

haha nice man
Posted by: texken

Re: Feral Bobcat - 11/25/16 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Hidalgo

+1
Posted by: 17varmint

Re: Feral Bobcat - 08/14/17 08:20 AM

Curious what she feeds them and if it is a bobcat, then that would be interesting.
After studying and trapping bobcats over the past 12 years it is for sure they eat fresh meat. They shy away from rotten and/or tainted meat. We have shot a deer or two just before dark and had to wait til morning to tack them and only to find that a bobcat had already found them and ate a little and covered the deer with leaves. We set up trail cameras at the sites and got pictures of the bobcats.
Posted by: SnowmanMo

Re: Feral Bobcat - 08/14/17 12:58 PM

You should have seen the cat that was brought in while Desert Ram and I were getting his bobcat pelt tagged by game and fish at the last PM convention. A guy had shot it in his garden, took pics of it, skinned it and brought it down to the game and fish department. I swear it looked just like a cross between a house cat and bobcat. It had a big head, pointed ears with tufts, smaller body like a house cat, all of the markings of a bobcat including the bobbed tail. There was a buzz in the back as they were examining it.

Ultimately they told him, and us, that it was just an abnormal house cat. Desert Ram even got a pic of it because it was so bizarre.
Posted by: Wyoming Winchester

Re: Feral Bobcat - 08/22/17 10:27 PM

A cat is a cat. I've been out night spotting jacks. I've seen barn,{feril} cats around a ranch house at night. Not 100yds away was a large bob cat. He might of been looking for his next meal. But if one of those ferils was in heat, I'll put money on him slapping her along side the head and having his way with her. Instead of diner.
Posted by: Teep

Re: Feral Bobcat - 09/23/17 10:10 AM

Years ago, back in the '70, my Dad shot what appeared to be a bobcat, my beagles had treed it. Took it to the county office and they paid a $5 bounty on it. A few days later a neighbor came over with the sheriff complaining that my Dad had shot his daughter's cat. Turns out they had brought a Chinese linx through Canada which was totally illegal in the states. The funny thing is the sheriff ask the neighbor what he would do if his dogs treed a strange cat and not thinking the neighbor blurted out "I'd shoot the [beeep] thing". The sheriff also stated that a cat is a wondering animal and belongs to the property it is on. In other words he said that no one really owns a cat, I still wonder if this is true.
Posted by: Yellowhammer

Re: Feral Bobcat - 09/28/17 01:47 PM

It appears there are no confirmed cases of domestic cats and bobcats hybridizing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felid_hybrid#Confirmed_domestic_cat_.C3.97_felid_hybrids

Domestic cat bobcat (Lynx rufus): There are reports of bobcats breeding with domestic cats, but evidence of offspring remains circumstantial and anecdotal.
Posted by: pilot

Re: Feral Bobcat - 02/20/18 07:49 AM

And if they actually reproduced, the offspring should all be sterile males.
Posted by: 6mm06

Re: Feral Bobcat - 02/28/18 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Teep
The sheriff also stated that a cat is a wondering animal and belongs to the property it is on. In other words he said that no one really owns a cat, I still wonder if this is true.

If I understand correctly, the Sheriff was refering to a wild animal? If so, then I don't think he was correct. The animal doesn't belong to any particular landowner just because it's on his property, but when taken lawfully, like in hunting season, the animal then becomes the property of whomever took it, again, with everything being done legally. Outside of hunting season or legal means, the animals belongs to everyone, ie the public. This is my understanding anyway.

Posted by: Chris623

Re: Feral Bobcat - 03/17/18 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMo
You should have seen the cat that was brought in while Desert Ram and I were getting his bobcat pelt tagged by game and fish at the last PM convention. A guy had shot it in his garden, took pics of it, skinned it and brought it down to the game and fish department. I swear it looked just like a cross between a house cat and bobcat. It had a big head, pointed ears with tufts, smaller body like a house cat, all of the markings of a bobcat including the bobbed tail. There was a buzz in the back as they were examining it.

Ultimately they told him, and us, that it was just an abnormal house cat. Desert Ram even got a pic of it because it was so bizarre.

I was in Eureka Springs, AR for Valentine's week. There was a cat in one of the gift shops that looked just like a Bobcat. I marveled at it. The shop owner said it was an exotic cat and not very well known in the U.S.............but that it was a domestic cat and very expensive. I can't remember the name, but it was huge and looked just like a Bobcat. When I asked if it was a cross-breed, she said it wasn't. But it sure was beautiful.
Posted by: Bloodhound

Re: Feral Bobcat - 03/08/19 01:14 PM

When I was a kid, 7 or 8, my dad took me to a pet store in Denver. They had an Ocelot for sale...it was in a glass cabinet and the shop owner told us that it was wild and had scratched and bit him. My dad said he had always wanted one, but couldn't afford one. It was cool to see it but I didn't want it as a pet...

That same shop also sold baby alligators.
Posted by: 22 Chuck

Re: Feral Bobcat - 05/14/19 03:19 PM

Way back in the mid 50s there was a bobtailed cat in our neighborhood, "out in the country at that time." It was finally killed eating a dead chicken a neighbor had thrown out w/ the manure.
Posted by: pyscodog

Re: Feral Bobcat - 05/28/19 03:56 PM

Maybe if the Bobcat started eating with the cats when it was a kitten, it don't really know its different. Might have been an abandoned kitten. I live in the city and we have a pair of Fox's that just had pups. They live a half block off Main street. They don't even run from people or cars. Just saying, anything is possible with wildlife.