Your Dogs from the Past

Posted by: DoubleCK

Your Dogs from the Past - 11/27/11 03:39 PM

Kinda slow around here. Thought it would be fun to look at some Pics of the Good Ole Dogs from the past.

Here's a couple from on the farm out on the Muddy in November 1958. "Ole Shep"

Post 'em up.
Posted by: yfzduner450

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 11/28/11 12:24 AM

Those old pics are classic, very cool!!
Posted by: mat

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 11/28/11 04:28 PM

Old Pal.

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 12/01/11 07:03 PM

Here's one circa 1950s. Guess you could call it "First Coyote Hound." Ole Jack could get'er done!

Posted by: Displayed Name

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 12/01/11 08:14 PM

You were my boy Blue, RIP

Posted by: Faster

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 12/04/11 07:10 PM

This is my current dog, but I figure I'd show him off just the same. These two pics are actually from today.

Posted by: Jesse lackey

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/04/13 06:38 PM

Well i have been telling DoubleCK that i would put up some old pics for quite some time now, well i finally got around to digging through some old pics and figured i would dig this one up and share. Hopefully some of you will join in.
I have lots of them so i will try to spread them out some. These are all pics of pics, so the quality of some aren't the best.

Start from the beginning, this is my first hound that i raised and trained. I had always claimed my dads hounds, but this was my first. Zeek.

This one wasnt a hunter obviously but loved the same. Me, my dad, and our ebd katie, doing the fastest dog in the world trick! lol.

This is one of my dads hounds, he was one of my fav's and i usually handled him on hunts.

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/04/13 07:03 PM

Here is Dad and Sam.

And a pup i called Hammer. He also gree into a heck of a hound.

Here is hammer and his dad Sam at the AKC world hunt. This is the night that Sam was crowned World Champ Treeing Walker.
Posted by: CacheCreek

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/04/13 09:37 PM

What dog man can resist this thread??

Here is a photo of my old Black and Tan on his last lion tree. The dog was 15 years old at the time. While the younger dogs got hung up on the dry ground and crusty snow that day, like he had done countless times during his career, ol' Buster figured it out and caught the lion on his own. RIP Buster 3/25/1989-9/17/2004

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/04/13 10:42 PM

Awesome guys! Keep 'em coming.
Posted by: BDC2

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/05/13 12:40 AM

Old Meg and mama in their prime.

The last picture with the baby.

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/05/13 01:42 AM

All right, here's a few more. This is another i raised. We took him and some of his brothers and sisters to "autumn oaks" one year along with his daddy Sam. Kindof a sampler of what to expect from our stud i guess. Well they all came home with parvo. We lost all but three of that litter, he was one of the lucky ones.

Well one morning it was just like he was cured, and a puppy again. He came tearing out of the bathroom where we were nursing him and ran smack into my sisters big tom cat snickers. He decided to try the cat but didnt have the lead for it, and the cat laid him open about two inches on top of his head. For a while that pup was scared to death of the cat. Then they became best friends. I sold this hound to a guid in New Mexico by the name of Keith Riley. Told me later that he wouldnt touch a cat track, but turned out to be the best bear dog he had owned.

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/05/13 01:45 AM

I will try to fix the pix tomorrow. Dont know why they are upside down.
Posted by: vargy49

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/05/13 07:07 AM

Rhino. He was a coyote hound banned from all the pens around here. Coyote never fared well if they stopped on him. I have a couple younger hounds out oh him. They have big shoes to fill.

Vargy

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/07/13 09:51 PM

Awesome pics guys!

This Beagle cross was my "Best Dog Ever" for a long time. As a youngster that dog, Tim and I terrorized furry critters along the Frenchman River Valley with Gusto! Just a Boy and his Dog. 1960s.

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/08/13 04:49 AM

Those are sure good memories aren't they DoubleCK. Some of my favorite hunts and memories took place when it was just me and a hound in the woods. I got this Mountain cur on a trip me and dad made to north Carolina. She would keep up with the hounds at night, then tree squirrels all day the next day. She had no quit. She got hunted every single day. Just her and me, i wasnt even old enough to buy a hunting license yet, but i had a trail through that wheat behind her leading streight to the woods where we hunted.

I ended up selling her, got tired of squirrel hunting, and got this little beagle. This dog started my fascination of running dogs. I made alot of good memories with her. She was one of a kind, and will never be replaced.

Daisy May
R.I.P
Posted by: Dustballs

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/08/13 09:26 AM

Great pictures I really like them all. I guess I am not that old to have any old pictures. LOL

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/08/13 12:44 PM

Shoot Klint im younger than you!
Posted by: Dustballs

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/08/13 02:07 PM

lol We didnt have many dogs growing up. We had a Doberman for 13 years then when she died we got a lab and she lived 11. Just dont have any old pics of them.

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/08/13 08:11 PM

Just take a new pic and soak it in coffee for a few hours, it will look old!

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/08/13 11:08 PM

Here's an old pic of Dad's Kennels. Circa 1966. That's Mike. One of the best we ever ran. Treed lot's of coons, won some night hunts and treeing contests.

Posted by: Smith

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/09/13 08:43 PM

When I was 10 dad and I dug up a den and got some coyote pups. Here is me with Kelli the coyote.

Here is Kimber and Pieces, 2 days after I got Pieces home(pieces is the puppy). I lost Kimber in a atv wreck a year and a half ago. It was like loosing a child.
Posted by: CrazyHorse66

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/10/13 09:21 PM

I buried Blitzen last week.
I never had a better friend.

Blitzen and Sugar in better days:

I miss her too.....

Watch dog, baby sitter, raccoon and coyote fighter, he'd even watch your rod tip while you napped and bark when you got a bite.

Helluva bird dog too....

....you just had to keep a close eye on him while you were cleaning birds.

I'm gonna miss the old boy. He turned 13 in January.

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/10/13 09:40 PM

Vary nice write up crazyhorse
Sorry for your loss

Vargy

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/11/13 12:28 AM

Sorry for your loss, sounds like a heckofa dog. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/11/13 12:32 AM

Here is a couple for Doc if he is still lurking around here. These dogs were all plenty game!

Posted by: borkon

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/14/13 08:15 AM

my old lab Gunner. this was his last phesant hunt. he fluched this bird out of a small cattail slough and i winged it. he was SO exausted trying to find it but would not give up. he finally pushed it out where i could ground shoot it. we sat down for a bit to let him rest. was real tough on me and i did a bit of tearing up on the way to the truck knowing that this was his last bird. he was put down a week later.

heres Tucker. got him as a stray. he was the worst dog i'd ever been around but with some time/work, he turned into a great dog. he was just getting good at decoying when he got Lymes and had to be put down.

Posted by: ARDave

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/15/13 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Faster
This is my current dog, but I figure I'd show him off just the same. These two pics are actually from today.

Good looking dog. Is he an American Bulldog? I have an American that looks similar.
Posted by: Norcalkyle

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/15/13 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: borkon
my old lab Gunner. this was his last phesant hunt. he fluched this bird out of a small cattail slough and i winged it. he was SO exausted trying to find it but would not give up. he finally pushed it out where i could ground shoot it. we sat down for a bit to let him rest. was real tough on me and i did a bit of tearing up on the way to the truck knowing that this was his last bird. he was put down a week later.

Man, that story and pic just about made me tear up reading it. What a great looking dog. I have a dog right now that has worked his way into my brain, and I don't know how I am going to deal with it when he is on his last deer hunt.

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/15/13 08:59 PM

Very nice story on Gunner

Vargy
Posted by: borkon

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/15/13 09:14 PM

thanks guys. i'm a bit choked up right now frown
it;s hard for some to imagine how a good dog will do that to ya
Posted by: Norcalkyle

Re: Your Dogs from the Past - 03/15/13 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: borkon
thanks guys. i'm a bit choked up right now frown
it;s hard for some to imagine how a good dog will do that to ya

Not for me... I like dogs better than people.