Washing coyotes

Posted by: poe

Washing coyotes - 11/22/21 01:46 PM

Just curious how many people wash there coyote hides before stretching. I donít normally have to worry about it with snared coyotes but sometimes even a small bullet hole can spread blood around more than I would like when skinning. Also has anyone found anything that works better than just brushing with Borax. I wash the bad ones but washing coyotes outside when itís cold with cold water in a pail isnít to much fun haha
Posted by: IdahoSawtooth

Re: Washing coyotes - 11/23/21 06:45 AM

I was them all. Even a clean looking hide leaves a lot of dirt in the bucket. They will brighten up a ton.
Posted by: AWS

Re: Washing coyotes - 11/23/21 10:33 AM

I used a tipi for a.fur shed in northern WI. I used Luke warm water and kept a coleman lantern handy to warm my hands over. After a wrung them out bring them into the tent with the wood stove to dry hanging from the ridge pole.
Posted by: Born2hunt96

Re: Washing coyotes - 12/11/21 11:21 AM

I wash 90% of my furs. IMHO it definitely makes a difference. I found an old washing machine on facebook a few years back for free all i had to do was haul it. I put it out in my fur shed with a drain pipe going outside and i fill it with 5gal buckets of water from the hose outside. I just run them through a rinse and spin cycle to get all the dirt and blood off. Straight water nothing else. Used to do the handwashing in the 5gal bucketsÖ never going back
Posted by: spotstalkshoot

Re: Washing coyotes - 12/11/21 11:21 PM

Blood and dirt have to be removed. Wash, sew, stretch and dry.
Posted by: K9SNIPER

Re: Washing coyotes - 12/17/21 08:04 PM

I don't wash trapped coyotes, or anything, unless they look dirty. My shot coyotes get skinned and then only the area with blood gets washed - in a pail of cool water with a drop of Dawn. Can't go wrong with washing the whole thing I suppose, just takes longer to dry maybe?
Posted by: Dark moon 63

Re: Washing coyotes - 08/07/22 09:52 PM

I use a 5 gallon bucket of warm water, shoulder length rubber trapping gloves with horse main and tail soap even in sub zero. I have an old gas dryer that I put wood shavings in. Tumble them for an hour and they are just about dry. Then flesh and stretch.