What causes red-bellied coyotes?

Posted by: sscoyote

What causes red-bellied coyotes? - 02/26/21 10:59 PM

Beginning of mange, mites?? Anybody know?
Posted by: Hellgate

Re: What causes red-bellied coyotes? - 02/26/21 11:20 PM

If you mean the fur on the belly turns reddish, one cause is chronic licking due to itchiness. Dogs with allergies who lick their paws or front legs will cause the hairs to turn reddish brown due to the porphyrins in their saliva that stain the hair a reddish brown. Not to be gross, but if you could look at a gallon of dog saliva it would resemble dilute iced tea. If you painted coat after coat of it onto a white wall eventually it would turn a reddish brown as does the fur on a licking dog. I would expect the same is true for coyotes.

Re: What causes red-bellied coyotes? - 02/27/21 08:44 PM

Interesting read-thanks very much sir.
Posted by: SlickerThanSnot

Re: What causes red-bellied coyotes? - 02/27/21 10:57 PM

it is the early stage of mange. ever get a whiff of the belly area of a coyote that has a reddish belly? it will stink something terrible. sure sign of mange.

Posted by: Boommeup

Re: What causes red-bellied coyotes? - 02/28/21 09:33 AM

Iíve skinned a few like that! Any way to wash that out? Does it lower your grade? Iíve used borax to clean them dry before, also washed them. That really shines them up, but it makes it a pain to deal with wet fur!
Posted by: SlickerThanSnot

Re: What causes red-bellied coyotes? - 02/28/21 11:18 AM

washing the fur wont remove it. in my experience anyways.

as far as lowering the grade, yes indeed.
Posted by: Boommeup

Re: What causes red-bellied coyotes? - 02/28/21 01:25 PM

The more I think back on it, I believe you are correct STS! Iíve seen some that were red and the hair thinning. Various degrees of the progression of the mites and there damage they infect. Shot one last year that had it so bad his whole belly was bare from his diaphragm to his pelvis! Yet his back looked fine. He had a one way trip to the landfill.
Posted by: crapshoot

Re: What causes red-bellied coyotes? - 03/14/21 05:54 PM

Red belly is caused by someone getting carried away while giving someone a pink belly.
pink belly (plural pink bellies) A form of hazing in which the victim's stomach is beaten to cause reddening.

https://images.app.goo.gl/W8XoQGaLMSR7fLvR9

Re: What causes red-bellied coyotes? - 03/22/21 12:11 PM

Ha just saw this--love it CS!! Thanks for the laugh of the day.

Re: What causes red-bellied coyotes? - 03/22/21 12:12 PM

Next time i get one I'm gonna take some scrapings and look at it in our scopes in our lab.
Posted by: 22 Chuck

Re: What causes red-bellied coyotes? - 09/02/21 11:01 PM

Answer to original question--MOTHER nature.
Posted by: Samsquanch

Re: What causes red-bellied coyotes? - 10/11/21 07:26 PM

I would tend to agree with the licking. I've noticed that years that we've had bad thistle (tumbleweeds) the bellies always tend to be a bit darker. I hadn't pout a lot of thought into it until reading HG's response. I reckon I'd be licking myself too if I was having to wander around in that stuff all summer. 22 Chuck, exactly what you said. Just one of Mother natures cruel tricks!