Spell Checking

Posted by: Stu Farish

Spell Checking - 05/15/07 10:28 AM

Some of us are more handicapped in this area than others. While the PM software doesn't include a spell checker & it's not cheap to add one, there are free tools to do the job. The google toolbar includes a good spell checker. For Firfox users, you can get it here:

http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/toolbar/FT3/intl/en/index.html

For Internet Explorer go here:

http://toolbar.google.com/T4/?rd=f

These download & install quickly & are easy to use.

There are likely other free tools out there as well. I just happen to know about these.
Posted by: redeyeddawg

Re: Spell Checking - 05/15/07 07:40 PM

Thanxs Stoo I apreasheate dat.
Posted by: cmiddleton

Re: Spell Checking - 05/16/07 09:24 PM

thanks i needed that
Posted by: MSA

Re: Spell Checking - 05/18/07 03:43 AM

I can't spell.......get over it

Re: Spell Checking - 05/18/07 12:01 PM

I'm not picking on anyone. I've been using these things for quite a while. If you want to use them, they're free.
Posted by: YoteXX

Re: Spell Checking - 08/20/07 12:10 AM

I have seen a lot on non-spelling individuals in these forums
Posted by: ackleyman

Re: Spell Checking - 12/15/07 09:31 PM

guys that can't spell were in school before phoenitics were introduced, get it?
Posted by: cm250

Re: Spell Checking - 01/28/08 01:20 PM

I'm just waiting for someone to figure out to put spell check into a pencil, wouldn't that be great. Tony
Posted by: Tarry

Re: Spell Checking - 01/28/08 01:53 PM

I can spell... I just can't type....lol. What my mind is thinking is seldom what my finger do. I really should go back and check spelling and grammar. Either that or do my posts in word and copy them here.
Posted by: johnmeador609

Re: Spell Checking - 03/02/08 04:18 PM

www.iespell.com

Check that out its what I use. Type what you want, right click, check spelling and your done.
Posted by: getfoxy

Re: Spell Checking - 03/06/08 09:28 PM

Quote:

I can spell... I just can't type....lol. What my mind is thinking is seldom what my finger do. I really should go back and check spelling and grammar. Either that or do my posts in word and copy them here.

Amen to that.
Posted by: wishin4dogs

Re: Spell Checking - 10/30/08 09:02 AM

Quote:

guys that can't spell were in school before phoenitics were introduced, get it?

I hope that was sarcastic. English is not a very phonetic language, and the introduction of "Huked on Foniks" and the teaching of phonetics have destroyed the American language, in my opinion.
Posted by: jumprightinit

Re: Spell Checking - 11/01/08 10:32 PM

Google toolbar comes with a easy spell checker.
Posted by: Chad Walk

Re: Spell Checking - 08/18/09 10:57 AM

Thanks Stu! I just installed spell checker... I think it took all of 20 seconds... cool grin
Posted by: mbowerma

Re: Spell Checking - 03/21/10 04:59 PM

I use the Google bar also. Yes some of the spelling is a horror. I don't understand why if there is a tool available that one would be proud of not being able to communicate properly. I can assure you my spelling is nothing to write home about but the checker at least makes me feel that I am not making a complete fool of myself.

Another hit on our language has been phone texting. I can tell when a phone texter posts also.
Posted by: Ben Jimmy

Re: Spell Checking - 07/05/10 07:30 PM

I think tools like "spell check" are great, but please understand some of us went to school before the days of "no child left without a computer". Having said that, please be kind enough to cut bad spellers a bit of slack and just get back to enjoying this site. Remember, none of us are quite perfect yet. I sometimes get a laugh out of these unintentional spelling horrors and these days that's a gift! The bell rang, school's out!!
Posted by: Super White Hunter

Re: Spell Checking - 07/07/10 10:54 AM

I am on here not because I can spell but because I like to shoot coyotes.
Posted by: Ben Jimmy

Re: Spell Checking - 07/09/10 04:04 PM

Exactly!

Re: Spell Checking - 07/09/10 04:33 PM

it isn't like anyone is grading your paper, but you are trying to communicate. if your spelling is so bad that people don't want to bother wading through it to understand you, you have tools available to easily clean it up a bit.

Since I started this thread most, if not all, major browsers now have spell checking built right in.
Posted by: Chupathingy

Re: Spell Checking - 07/30/11 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Stu Farish
it isn't like anyone is grading your paper, but you are trying to communicate. if your spelling is so bad that people don't want to bother wading through it to understand you, you have tools available to easily clean it up a bit.

Since I started this thread most, if not all, major browsers now have spell checking built right in.

Amen Stu! I don't look down on people for the commonly mis-spelled words, but if I have to read a sentence multiple times....then I lose interest pretty quick and move on.

Chupa
Posted by: Mike30-06

Re: Spell Checking - 01/12/12 06:59 PM

I go buuyyyyyyy Mike becccaussssse iiii caaaaannnnt speeeeel Miccchhhhaaaeell.
Posted by: notimer

Re: Spell Checking - 02/24/12 03:12 PM

I think anyone who jumps on you for not spelling correctly has
really just stated they have a low IQ level, or just are just
complete bu tt holes, I have the ability to comprehend what
people are trying to write or say, with out being a ahole.

However some peoples writing is unreadable, that's when we have a problem.....
Posted by: ARCOREY

Re: Spell Checking - 02/24/12 03:20 PM

Does that mean I can't use this anymore?

Just kidding, I only use it here at work rolleyes. Most of the time I can read the posts, but have to admit there are a few that I just can't comprehend crazy.
Posted by: bgtme

Re: Spell Checking - 03/22/12 01:11 PM

What if my spelling is so bad that Goggle doesn't even know what the heck I'm trying to spell? Don't laugh,it happens!
Posted by: Wallbass45

Re: Spell Checking - 03/30/12 07:30 PM

I think sometimes its not if you can spell ,Its how much you have had to DRINK! LOL
Posted by: Longnkrnch

Re: Spell Checking - 08/22/12 04:12 PM

I can certainly recognize it whe I mifspell. I'm just too lazi to back it owt and retipe it.
Posted by: Longnkrnch

Re: Spell Checking - 08/22/12 04:14 PM

I would never criticize someone for misspelling............unless they're a democrat.
Posted by: predyotevarmint

Re: Spell Checking - 03/24/13 12:44 PM

It would help more if pointed out mis spelled words. Then one knows the correct spelling. If use a spell check I dont think many really look to see how it is spelled and just click on the word that looks correct to them. Then if asked how to spell this or that one knows. I would rather know how to spell than use spell check. It dont make one smarter.
How many can look at a name on their phone and know what the number is associated with it?Somethings might make us look smarter but are we really?
Posted by: Crappie eater

Re: Spell Checking - 02/05/14 03:14 PM

Sounds gate
Posted by: chemdawg

Re: Spell Checking - 06/30/16 02:38 PM

unlike a lot of guys on here I suffer a sever head injury while in Iraq it took me several years just to be able to spell my full name I just am un able to read my mistakes it was explained to me as having a form of deluxe i wish i could write better and not spell checker is going to help me I have tried several when i write something to me it looks perfect partly do to i memorized what it is my am typing i am sorry to every one about this and wish i could wok past it but that will never happen i spend several weeks in a coma when i woke i did not even recize my wife and kids i still don't have a memory much longer then 10-15mins i damaged to survive a gun shot would and richachated off a magazine bounce off my hip and lay up under the spin they can't remove it i was shortly shot agin later in the back this time in the protective plate hurt like a bithc and managed to live through 7 ieds i am sorry to every one for this and thanks for understanding
Posted by: Wa_Coyote_Hunter

Re: Spell Checking - 09/01/16 04:23 PM

Well my pad is new and it is constantly changing my words to crazy spellings!! Sometimes it's the electronics that are spelling it wrong.
Posted by: badger_29

Re: Spell Checking - 12/08/17 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Super White Hunter
I am on here not because I can spell but because I like to shoot coyotes.

Yis suh, dat b y me hear two.

Re: Spell Checking - 12/08/17 01:41 PM

Been a long time since browsers started coming with built in spell checking. Now we have smart phones & tablets & more people are using them to post.

And they have auto-correct that thinks it's smarter than the user is scared
Posted by: BrianMerritt

Re: Spell Checking - 12/24/17 04:54 PM

Yes it's esear to write something with such equipment, but sometime it corrects me so interesting that I have to write it againe and againe! thumbdown
Posted by: searky

Re: Spell Checking - 07/09/20 12:12 PM

Best answer I,ve seen in a long time redeyeddawg
Posted by: cmiddleton

Re: Spell Checking - 12/23/20 09:48 PM

i think i have the tag line worst speller on the net, just aint on it often enough to fight over it anymore to old 2 care bout spellin.