How and what do you carry to a stand?

Posted by: ibschmidty

How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/27/19 10:32 PM

I am just now getting a tripod and realizing that I will now be hauling a bit to the average stand. How do you carry your gear, shoulder straps, back pack what have you? Also, what do you carry? E-caller, seat/chair, hand calls, binos, range finder, sticks/tripod, coyote drags, extra gloves/mask, extra jacket, kitchen sink?
Posted by: 204 AR

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/27/19 10:51 PM

Keep it as light as possible. I have my rifle with a normal sling over my shoulder, rangefinder which doubles as a monocular around my neck, I carry my lightweight folding seat with my shooting sticks folded inside it, and my Revolt, both in my left hand. Sometimes I have a lanyard of hand calls around my neck also. Coyote drag goes in the pouch on the back of my seat. That's it, and it's almost too much but I use all these items every stand. I'm never too far from the RZR or the truck, so extra clothes, water, etc all stay there.
Posted by: masshunter

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/27/19 11:07 PM

Depends on the season, weather, where I'm going, and how long I plan to be out. A small backpack, a vest with lots of pockets, a foam "hot seat" until the snow gets deep, then a three leg stool. I keep some extra cloths and boots in the truck, but try to keep light and simple.
Posted by: AWS

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/27/19 11:45 PM

I carry my rifle in a back scabbard, there is a small pouch on the back that holds matches, knife, energy bar, spare mouth call and drag. there are cartridge loops beneathe the pouch and I have five extra shells and three batteries for the decoy. The decoy is clipped to the rim of the scabbard and shooting sticks go in the scabbard with the rifle. Hooked on the back is a stool or seat. On the front shoulder strap is a pouch to hold my caller. When I get out of the truck I just throw the scabbard on my back and I'm ready to go. The set up works well whether I'm walking, skiing or on the bike, both hands are free and I never have to juggle equipment.

Posted by: OKRattler

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/28/19 03:31 AM

A bag with my e-call in it,extra batteries,monopod (unless I'm using my rifle with a bipod attached) and I wear a turkey hunting vest with hand calls and extra bullets in it. I don't like carrying a bunch of stuff. It makes it that much more difficult carrying a coyote back.

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/28/19 07:41 PM

How far from the truck to you generally travel to make a stand? I'd guess my average has been about 150-200yds. Sometimes get a little further.

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/28/19 08:20 PM

I've been known to travel miles through non-accessible wildlife areas and behind closed gates. Skis and mountain bike make it easier but shanks mare if needed. I also use boats and canoes to access areas that are beyond what the average hunters willing to travel. I am getting lazier since getting in my 70's but I've lost 30 pounds and the knees are responding nicely, I try and walk a couple miles in the morning with a pack before breakfast in the off season.
Posted by: GC

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/28/19 08:31 PM

My favorite way to call and spend a day in the Ozark's is to walk a circular route from my truck that takes me five to seven miles overland in steep, rocky and heavily timbered country. I have a lot of public ground that once the general firearms deer season ends is pretty empty of other hunters. It's remote and there is very little or no cell service. We have a few critters that could give some trouble, bear, hogs and large long tailed cats. There could be other issues, a bad fall, slip of the knife, ect. A couple years ago my son and I got caught in the path of a wildfire. We got lucky and got back to the truck before the fire.

In our situation you better be ready to handle whatever comes your way. You need to pack everything you need for the day and possibly an overnight stay in case something goes bad. Clothing, food, water, medical kit, firestarter, topo map & compass, multi tool, headlamp w/extra charged batteries, actual hunting gear and a way to take a pelt or two out. This year I am using a new pack, the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 18. Pretty excited at the possibilities of this pack.
Posted by: mserman

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/28/19 10:15 PM

I have a sling bag, inside I pack:
eCaller w/ attached decoy
Remote
3 hand calls (reed howler, distress, squeaker)
Spotlight
IR scanner
Range finder
Monocular
Extra load of ammo
Knife
Headlamp

*I'm usually within about a mile of my car so if something goes bad I'm not far...
Posted by: Spidicus

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/29/19 01:16 AM

I wear a jacket that has pockets big enough to put my johnny stewart cheapo caller..its a great little ecaller! range finder in my other pocket. Gun slung over shoulder, head mounted scan light, gun mounted kill light, rubber gloves and tow rope in my back pocket. Tripod carried in my free hand. I leave the rest of my stuff in the truck. I set my tripod up with some shrubs/ Joshua trees behind me and I stand up that way I can see over all the sage, cactus and yucca plants. Only need to go a couple hundred yards from my truck, some stands might only be 50 yards away longest is prolly 400 yards away.
Posted by: tripod3

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/29/19 02:07 AM

A Superday pack with all calls, ammo, bino, rangefinder etc and a kill pack for dressing/skinning game with tarps for transport and a lunch cooler completely full.
All three fit behind the seat, guns upfront and I drive to 98% of my stands.
Posted by: DAA

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/29/19 07:08 AM

Sticks, caller and seat in left hand. Rifle over right shoulder. Right hand empty. Coyote drag and a couple rounds of ammo in a pants pocket.

- DAA
Posted by: obaro

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/29/19 11:00 AM

Sticks and seat in right hand, gun in left. Calls and drags in jacket pocket. If I use an e-call I carry it in a backpack/seat combo pack with the sticks and carry my gun in hand.
Posted by: Smokin Pole

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/29/19 11:34 AM

I try to keep it simple and light. Couple of hand calls, rifle, and a pad to sit on. Of course I have a pocket knife and TP in my pocket. I've learned that less is better. As I get older I don't like to walk very far or carry much.
Posted by: K9SNIPER

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/29/19 01:24 PM

I carry very little. Tied a rope around the Banshee caller for a sling - frees up a hand - that was an improvement.
Posted by: Call-and-Kill

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/29/19 01:37 PM

eCall in my left hand, shooting sticks in my right. Rifle over my shoulder and a velcro ammo pouch in a coat pocket. Usually have a hand call or two around my neck or in the pocket opposite of the ammo. I don't take much with me but have tons of junk in my vehicle in case the need arises.
Posted by: Coyotejunki

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/29/19 05:26 PM

Depends on where I hunt and what rifle or shotgun I take.

Generally, rifle or shotgun, e-caller, stix and seat. If possible longer range shooting Bino's and rangefinder. Lately I wear a chest pack with a drag, a howler, rangefinder in it. Plus the above.
Posted by: skinney

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/29/19 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: ibschmidty
I am just now getting a tripod and realizing that I will now be hauling a bit to the average stand. How do you carry your gear, shoulder straps, back pack what have you? Also, what do you carry? E-caller, seat/chair, hand calls, binos, range finder, sticks/tripod, coyote drags, extra gloves/mask, extra jacket, kitchen sink?

We carry quite a bit in, even if we don't use it all, we have it, in case.

One of the most efficient ways I've found for carrying our gear, is Eberlestock packs, I bet we get asked hundreds of times throughout the year, "hey, what kind of pack are you guys using?"
It's got an integral scabbard, to center your rifle between your shoulder blades and distribute the weight evenly which is much more comfortable IMHO. It has an oversized waist strap (cummerbund) so when you snug her down, the weight of the pack rides on your hips below the lumbar in your back. Making it very comfortable when you need to gear up with extra weight, or just to go that extra mile or two.

I use the G4 personally, it's usually overkill for most, but since I do carry the Rifle and or the Camera with the larger Manfrotto and Fluid head, with the call, and extra batteries (+ alot more junk), it makes going in and out so much easier.

My guys usually use the more discreet X3 Lowdrag which is perfect for Rifle/Call and even your Tripod.
Posted by: DesertRam

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/30/19 12:10 AM

Probably way more stuff than I need to carry. smile

I pretty much always have my chest rig, aka Snuggle Buddy, with the bino, rangefinder, GPS, camera, wind checker, spare calls, etc. I have a Mojo Critter Sitter (a chair that turns into a backpack) that has pockets in which I carry a totin' strap, spare batteries, a couple calls on a lanyard, spare face mask and gloves, and other small odds and ends. To the outside of the Sitter I strap a 2" foam pad (in case I want to sit way low) and my Shockwave. I put my Trigger Sticks in the side pouch of the Sitter and sling the whole thing. Then I just carry the rifle or shotgun.

With all that stuff, I'm ready for whatever kind of stand I come across. I can hand call or use the Shockwave. I can stand up, sit in the chair, or drop all the way to the ground on the pad.
Posted by: wolftrapper

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/30/19 09:57 AM

Rifle on a sling, one or two hand/mouth calls, half dozen extra ammo, cell phone for emergencies (I hunt alone).
Posted by: GRIZZLYONE

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/30/19 11:34 AM

Rifle
Posted by: Seebass

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/30/19 02:34 PM

I use the Cabelas Speedy Yote vest to carry my small misc. equipment (Diaphrams, gloves, mask, wind check, bullets, water, drag and a wash cloth).

I walk with my rifle on a sling over my right shoulder while carrying my Shockwave and BiPod in my left hand. I have my remote on a lanyard hanging from my neck with a couple of hand calls on it.

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/30/19 06:10 PM

I was listening to the Meat Eater podcast and listened about first aid stuff in the field. Anyone carry a few good first aid items to the stand or keep them in the truck?
Posted by: DesertRam

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/30/19 07:00 PM

I was listening to the Meat Eater podcast and listened about first aid stuff in the field. Anyone carry a few good first aid items to the stand or keep them in the truck?

Truck, but when calling I'm usually within a few hundred yards of it. If I venture much beyond that, I'll have a pack with first aid kit and other support gear. I always have my Leatherman Squirt though, which has nifty tweezers for the inevitable thorn/splinter removal.

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/30/19 07:56 PM

I carry a small but well equipped kit. Most important is a tourniquet and Israeli bandage.

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/30/19 10:10 PM

My first aid kit with tourniquet is in my truck.. usually less than couple hundred yards from the truck

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/30/19 10:18 PM

Can you make a couple hundred yards with a cut femoral artery?
Posted by: Shaun Simma

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/30/19 11:30 PM

Seems like the amount we carry to a stand has grown over time. My son and I night hunt here in wisconsin. each of us wears a home-made zip up cloth scabbard with rigging that i sewed up to carry a large tri-pod and reaper mount.

we carry our small stuff lights, hand warmers, dickies, spare batteries, thermal monocular, etc, etc in alaska guide bino-packs. our foxpro fusion and sp60 speaker we carry in a small back-pack that get clipped onto the scabbard. And last but not least we carry our guns over our shoulders.

No chairs because we stand up on our night hunts.
Posted by: tripod3

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/31/19 02:25 AM

I can tell you that circumstances can change quickly multiple times completely beyond your control.
Three things that would have been greatly beneficial, a tourniquet, clotting agent, and GPS to relay coordinates.
Posted by: tawnoper

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/31/19 11:54 AM

My usual. Rifle or shotgun, sitting pad, sticks. In my pockets, ammo, calls, pocket knife, tp, .22 pistol.

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/31/19 01:09 PM

A bandana(runny nose, pressure bandage, ear warmer, tie the four corners together and it is a hat), Tourniquet, (shoe laces, belt, suspenders), knife(splinters, thorns, cut up shirt for bandage), Camo vet wrap on my barrel will work also. A firstaid kit is the last thing I'd think about packing to a stand or in the field. I have stuff in the truck, bandaids, sewing kit for my clothes and pelts but will double for my body if needed, antibiotics and pain killers.

This has come up in the past, I leave the phone in the truck. I feel the more stuff you take to protect yourself the more likely your going to need it. I've been hunting, trapping, fishing mostly by myself for 60 years and have gotten myself into some pretty sticky situations and through the grace of god and common sense I'm still here and there have been some very iffy times.

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/31/19 01:20 PM

I'm hard pressed to think how I'll get a cut femoral artery. Unless a mt. Lion attacks. Odds are slim to none.

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/31/19 01:59 PM

I skin furbearers in the field. On big game I gutless debone and quarter to pack them out. That requires knife work. I am very likely miles from the truck in rugged terrain with no cell service. A RATS tourniquet and Israeli bandage weigh less than 1/2 pound. In the event of a slip of the knife, mishandling a broadhead, a firearms accident, bad fall, ect. a few items that are never noticed until needed might make the critical difference. I'm not fortunate enough to have that magic crystal ball that will tell me when to just stay home or pack a few emergency items because something bad is imminent. So I plan for the worst and try for the best. So far, so good.

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 10/31/19 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: tripod3
I can tell you that circumstances can change quickly multiple times completely beyond your control.
Three things that would have been greatly beneficial, a tourniquet, clotting agent, and GPS to relay coordinates.

I doubt many of the newer or occasional posters know about your incident.
Posted by: brock2013

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 11/01/19 12:11 AM

I have tried quite a few different packs trying to find one that is comfortable for me to wear and found that Mystery Ranch fits me the best. I got the pop up 18 this year and love it so far. I carry a little more gear with me sometimes as I might hike 5-10 miles a day from the truck hunting depending on where I go.
GPS for OnX some places Iím right on the edge of public and private land so I have to know where I am.
Couple calls on a lanyard.
Fire starters
Small first aid. Plan to add blood clot and a tourniquet
Skinning knife. Skin a lot in the field so itís lighter to carry out.
Sitting pad
Shooting sticks
Lightweight down jacket stuffed in just in case. Weather changes quick sometimes
TP
Headlight and batteries
Couple Granola bars
Paracord
Few rounds of extra ammo
Bottle of water
Pair of cotton gloves
A saw. I can cut a little wood and have lunch by the fire and relax.
If Iím staying close to the truck and hunting I usually just grab my rifle and seat pad and my calls.
Posted by: ehitzari

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 11/21/19 11:33 PM

Badlands 2200, calls, tripod, seats
Posted by: Jim Byers

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 11/22/19 04:50 PM

Sly Dog pack.. my drag, foxpro, decoy and shooting sticks. A few handcalls around my neck attached to my bino/rangefinder harness. And of course my weapon/weapons of choice for that location.

Re: How and what do you carry to a stand? - 11/22/19 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: brock2013
I have tried quite a few different packs trying to find one that is comfortable for me to wear and found that Mystery Ranch fits me the best. I got the pop up 18 this year and love it so far. I carry a little more gear with me sometimes as I might hike 5-10 miles a day from the truck hunting depending on where I go.
GPS for OnX some places Iím right on the edge of public and private land so I have to know where I am.
Couple calls on a lanyard.
Fire starters
Small first aid. Plan to add blood clot and a tourniquet
Skinning knife. Skin a lot in the field so itís lighter to carry out.
Sitting pad
Shooting sticks
Lightweight down jacket stuffed in just in case. Weather changes quick sometimes
TP
Headlight and batteries
Couple Granola bars
Paracord
Few rounds of extra ammo
Bottle of water
Pair of cotton gloves
A saw. I can cut a little wood and have lunch by the fire and relax.
If Iím staying close to the truck and hunting I usually just grab my rifle and seat pad and my calls.

I carried a quartered and boned out whitetail buck a couple miles over some pretty steep heavily timbered country on my Mystery Ranch Pop Up 18 last weekend. I still hunted my way onto a decent buck, shot him, gutless method put him into a game bag and packed him to the truck in one trip with the PU 18. Worked like a champ, one trip in and out.