~Day LighT SAvings~

Posted by: Infidel 762

~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/14/16 12:47 AM

When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, “Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.”

So anyway, road runners can not out run the descent of a peregrine falcon.. I have seen them flush and take quail in mid flight.. Without googles, this raptor can reach speeds of over 200 mph nose diving.. Airborne, death from above.. Carnage in the wake;

I walked about 3/4 of a mile past that mangled roadrunner to make a stand.. Crossed a creek over a beaver dam.. Set-up on a hill above that water.. There, my sweaty BDU top stuck against my back as mosquitos bit thru the material;

[IMG]http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss54//image.jpg1_388.jpg

I could faintly hear a rooster crowing in the distance from my over watch of the river bottom.. I let out one lone howl then silently took in my surroundings for several minutes.. I did a time check and realized I was off an hour for daylight savings.. Next, all I did was a few whimpers.. That was enough to get one coming in from the thick accretion along the river.. I remained silent as she zig-zagged her way towards me.. She had me all jacked up and shaking as I watched her through the scope.. I hit her low and she spun as she went down into the creek I crossed on my way in.. I heard her hit the water but did not see her come up the other side;

[url=https://jeremynickel.smugmug.com/Predator-Masters-Posts/i-BPV35JR/A]

With weapon at the ready I peaked over the bank;

That shot definitely set her clock forward for daylight savings.. I drug her out of the creek, below a tree.. A final resting place for her to grow cold.. Looking up.. realize that within some of the coldest objects in our universe, often burns a warm core.-. The forming of a star and sometimes multiple stars..

Don't forget to set your clocks forward..

Posted by: Tim Neitzke

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/14/16 12:52 AM

Your posts are worth looking at every time. thumbup1
Posted by: huntinaz

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/14/16 01:11 AM

Keep after 'em buddy. And keep sharing.
Posted by: JOKER

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/14/16 01:14 AM

Yes-- you do have great posts --
Gotta get up that way and buy you a burger and shake --
Thanks for sharing --
Thx
Posted by: Kollincoyote

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/14/16 07:53 AM

Man that's good stuff
Posted by: Predator257Roy

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/14/16 08:24 AM

Cool write up - you've been on a roll!
Posted by: millerjq

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/14/16 09:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzke
Your posts are worth looking at every time. thumbup1

I second this. It's like when a child get excited for a picture book and story. thumbup
Posted by: dan brothers

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/14/16 09:43 AM

Really nice story and layout.... NICE
Posted by: jf1073

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/14/16 10:22 AM

say it ain't so...........mosquitos already? I didn't make it out, but I know the flies have sure been out on some of my recent outings. Gonna be a tough year I'm afraid. Nice job.
Posted by: hm1996

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/14/16 10:29 AM

Outstanding story & pics, Jeremy! Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
hm
Posted by: JTPinTX

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/14/16 10:48 AM

Mosquitoes!?!? Oh Lawd, I ain't ready for that yet. Way too early. Been missing your posts, but realize you have some other things going on in life right now too. Good to see you knocking some down again.

My rancher texted me yesterday afternoon, been seeing the same coyote several times. We tried for it Saturday morning, and I tried again yesterday evening. It is a smart one though. I gotta figure out a new plan for it. I may need to try the howl/whimpers thing. Or maybe no calling at all, just a LR ambush over the water hole with my 6.5 Creedmoor.
Posted by: flintrock

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/14/16 09:27 PM

Mosquitoes have started here also. They haven't been to aggressive yet, just annoying. Pulled a tick off over the weekend. Time for some permethrin I guess. Nice job and entertaining story as always.
Posted by: DakotaBoy

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/14/16 10:27 PM

Always look forward to your posts and pictures.
Nicely done as always.
Posted by: AdamT

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/15/16 09:21 PM

Your stories and the accompanying photos are great, each and every time.

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/15/16 09:32 PM

Thanks all and yeah Mosquitos have definitely hatched a new plague for spring.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTX
My rancher texted me yesterday afternoon, been seeing the same coyote several times. We tried for it Saturday morning, and I tried again yesterday evening. It is a smart one though. I gotta figure out a new plan for it. I may need to try the howl/whimpers thing. Or maybe no calling at all, just a LR ambush over the water hole with my 6.5 Creedmoor.

I thought you and your son shot that one last weekend;

Good to see you getting back out especially after your son's accident..

Prayers for progress in recovery..
Posted by: crittr gittr

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/15/16 09:55 PM

Thanks again Infi for a great ride and pics. Oh and thanks for not being my dentist too.

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/15/16 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: crittr gittr
Thanks again Infi for a great ride and pics. Oh and thanks for not being my dentist too.

I utilize only the finest anesthesia w00t

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/15/16 10:47 PM

Yeah, but your patients don't wake up. unsure

Regards,
hm

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/17/16 11:33 AM

I actually killed two last week Jeremy. That was the second one. Both about 75 yards, both right in the chest with that 243/87 VMAX combo. I am really liking that rifle and bullet. It lays them down hard.

We took my son back to Amarillo yesterday to get staples out (22 of those little boogers). Bone Doc says everything is good to go, arm is healing nicely. It will still take a good while for it to heal completely, but he did clear him for light work duty, and driving a tractor. That made my son very happy. He went back to his college classes last week and was able to catch back up just fine. So it is all good on that front.

Life is starting to look up again now.

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/17/16 11:36 AM

I forgot to ask, what kind of chassis is that you have on that Savage? Looks like it could use some FDE cerakote to me.

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/18/16 01:27 AM

Glad his recovery is coming along.. I bet you have far less spinners hitting them with a 243.. The chassis is an XLR.. They make another model with a barrel shroud.. I like it without, sets the scope lower to the bore

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/19/16 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762
Glad his recovery is coming along.. I bet you have far less spinners hitting them with a 243.. The chassis is an XLR.. They make another model with a barrel shroud.. I like it without, sets the scope lower to the bore

Jeremy, what effect did the XLR have on your Savage's accuracy? Did you get it direct from XLR or ???

If I'm able to hunt next year, I may be forced to ditch my pet 243 WSSM AR and go back to a bolt gun due to the golden rule, as Venatic calls it. Landowner dictates no AR's after this year. frown I really like the AR configuration for my style of hunting and can't imagine going back to straight pistol grip. Thinking about either a Savage 243 or maybe even a 308 in that stock would be about as close as I could get. Your thoughts, having used one?

What barrel weight on your rifle and how does it balance w/XLR?

Regards,
hm

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/19/16 11:15 PM

Clarence,

That chassis maybe tightened groups up a little but the rifle has always shot well, even before.. I bought it from Tactical Works, Inc. it is heavier than most would want to carry as a calling rifle but I am used to it.. The barrel is to long to practically use a suppressor and I don't want to cut it down and risk messing with its accuracy.. I am getting another medium barrel to cut down to 16.. If you are used to an AR sitting in your sticks then that stock is an easy transition, the same when you transition back the AR.. I use the same reticle in most of my scopes as well trying to keep everything consistent..

For some reason I prefer a bolt over AR or shotgun.. I think most land owners feel a little more safe letting someone hunt among their livestock if they are carrying a bolt instead of AR..

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/19/16 11:47 PM

What caliber is your rifle, Jeremy, and how does it balance with the med. barrel. I'll have to get a rifle, as well.
Had an FP10 in 223 for a short while, but balance was terrible on a sling. Muzzle up the light stock/heavy barrel caused butt to ride forward, eventually wound up horizontal under arm. frown Great offhand rifle since it was so muzzle heavy.

You mention weight. I don't carry that far in field, but how much heavier is your savage than a fluted HB AR? Biggest concern is carrying on sling as I usually have hands full and sling my rifle.

Thanks,
Clarence

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/20/16 12:45 AM

It is a 12FV in 223.. It balanced horible with the original Tupperware stock.. It balances better in the chassis.. Again, I carry in a manner most would not.. I attach the QD on the right rear, center on the butt.. I run the strap under my right arm pit so it is already rested on my shoulder while to and fro.. For me it balances much better carrying at this position..That extra padding on the Troy sling I found is worth it's weight in gold after carrying it any size able distance..

I use the same sling and position weather I am carry bolt or AR;

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/20/16 01:10 AM

Will have to give that a try. W/M4gery, I can get by w/sling on left shoulder, muzzle down but w/longer barrels, I'm too short, muzzle closer to ground than I prefer. Looks like your setup would work better. Thanks.

Regards,
Clarence

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/21/16 09:38 AM

One last question, Jeremy. Read somewhere that cleaning can be a problem due to high cheek piece. Can't tell from pictures, is the back end of cheek piece closed or can the rod pass through it? Looks like your low scope mount might allow lower cheek piece and rod clears over it?

Reason I ask is, some on the Savage board, suggest the hinged stock to facilitate cleaning, but noticed yours does not have it. Only hinged stock I ever had was an original paratrooper M1 carbine and the hinge did not lock solid resulting in even less accuracy than the not-so-accurate standard carbines. (Sure messed up getting rid of it, though, in spite of accuracy. frown ).

Regards,
hm

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/21/16 11:39 AM

Now personally, I am not an AR guy. I don't even own one. But if that is the style stock and setup you feel comfortable with then there is another option I know of. This is a rifle I Cerakoted for a friend of mine, the chassis it is in is made by MDT. I know it takes AR buttstocks and grips. Pretty sure it uses AI style magazines. This one is a Remmie 308 that has been cut to 18" to run with a YHM Phantom.

http://mdttac.com/chassis-systems/

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/21/16 12:40 PM

Thanks, Jeff. Not sure all this is going to come to pass, but doing my research ahead of time so I'll have an idea which way to jump if/when the time comes. Appreciate the info & good lluck Friday.

Regards,
Clarence

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/21/16 11:59 PM

Jeff, that rifle is sick!

Originally Posted By: hm1996
One last question, Jeremy. Read somewhere that cleaning can be a problem due to high cheek piece. Can't tell from pictures, is the back end of cheek piece closed or can the rod pass through it?

I have no problem running my cleaning rod thru it..

Looks like your low scope mount might allow lower cheek piece and rod clears over it?

You can adjust the height on it.. I just leave it set and not mess with it;

[/URL]

Reason I ask is, some on the Savage board, suggest the hinged stock to facilitate cleaning, but noticed yours does not have it. Only hinged stock I ever had was an original paratrooper M1 carbine and the hinge did not lock solid resulting in even less accuracy than the not-so-accurate standard carbines. (Sure messed up getting rid of it, though, in spite of accuracy. frown ).

Regards,
hm

Under 50 yards it is pretty accurate.. I love mine.. One of my funniest rifles to plink with:

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/22/16 12:15 PM

Thanks for the info, Jeff & Jeremy. Always good to know all the alternatives, especially since unable to get hands on before purchasing. I do like the deeper forend on the XTL. Thanks for the detailed pics and clarifications, Jeremy.

During the 8 years spent in Army & NG, I was first armed with the Garand and later the carbine. Always said if the shooting started, I'd dump the carbine in favor of an M1 (for it's superior range/accuracy), but you're right, the carbine is a really fun plinker. Swapped for the paratrooper (original GI) but didn't like the play in stock hinge so swapped it for a standard carbine, which I still have. Unfortunately, can't see iron sights any longer so put a no-drill mount on it w/a red dot so I can still shoot it.

Thanks again, guys for all the info.

Regards,
hm
Posted by: Wile E Coyotie

Re: ~Day LighT SAvings~ - 03/22/16 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: JTPinTX
Now personally, I am not an AR guy. I don't even own one. But if that is the style stock and setup you feel comfortable with then there is another option I know of. This is a rifle I Cerakoted for a friend of mine, the chassis it is in is made by MDT. I know it takes AR buttstocks and grips. Pretty sure it uses AI style magazines. This one is a Remmie 308 that has been cut to 18" to run with a YHM Phantom.

http://mdttac.com/chassis-systems/

Sweet>. Now that looks fun-