February 24th bobcat.

Posted by: OKRattler

February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 12:15 AM

With the end of fur bearer season coming up in Oklahoma I've been focused on cats lately. Today I went out and made 4 long stands in hopes of calling one up. I called it quits on my second to last stand at the 20 minute mark so I could get another quick stand in.

I walked about 300 yards from my last stand and sat down. I didn't bother putting the FoxPro out on this last one because I was too lazy. I got my Crit'R Call Peewee out and started out with a few squeaks. I watched for 30 seconds or so and started in with my best impersonation of a dying rabbit. I looked to my right about 5 minutes into the stand and saw nothing. So I scanned back to my left and played a few more sequences of dying rabbit. As I scanned back to my right I saw it,a bobcat had crept in,in less than 30 seconds without so much as crushing a leaf to let me know he was there. The cat had his eyes locked on me and wouldn't you know it, I had my rifle pointed straight out in front of me. I could tell he was studying me,not quite sure what he was looking at. So I slowly picked up my rifle and shooting stick,up and over my leg and moved it to the right. No more had I rested my rifle and the cat went from a crouched position to what looked to be the "I'm about to run away" position. I don't know if he was going to run or if he was just thinking about it. But I already had him in the crosshairs so it didn't matter. By the time he thought about it I already had the safety off and was in full blown kill mode. About the time he lifted his head I squeezed the trigger and hit him in the throat. He was 15 big steps from where I was sitting.

If I can figure out the picture situation I'll post one. If not it's a pretty/pretty dead bobcat laying in leaves with my rifle across it.
Posted by: DesertRam

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 12:45 AM

Cool! Can't wait to see the picture.
Posted by: hm1996

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 01:11 AM

No excuses now, let's see the pictures. wink grin

http://s889.photobucket.com/user/mustangdoug/media/7mm%20mag/PMphototutorial.mp4.html

Regards.
hm

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 01:19 AM

Can you posts pictures from your phone on here?
Posted by: huntinaz

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 01:36 AM

Quote:
If I can figure out the picture situation I'll post one.

Make it happen, Cap'n wink

And good job on the cat.
Posted by: coolbrze

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 06:17 AM

Pics or it didn't happen smile
Posted by: jf1073

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 10:30 AM

pretty impressive being able to swing onto the target at that range without him tearing outta there. great job.

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: OKRattler
Can you posts pictures from your phone on here?

Not sure, but the way I do it is to email picture as an attachment from phone to my computer, save attachment to "my pictures", then upload to photobucket.

Probably not best way, but it works. Looking forward to seeing your kitty. smile

Regards,
hm
Posted by: yotekiller47

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 12:38 PM

The cat came pretty quick. Last one I called in took over 30 min to come in. Was getting disgusted and looked and there he was. I would like to get a big one to mount. Show some pics. Love the kitty's

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: jf1073
pretty impressive being able to swing onto the target at that range without him tearing outta there. great job.
Thanks man. I've had them pretty close before like that. As long as you move slow they'll let you get away with some movement. But I could tell he wasn't going to tolerate much more. I was ready to swing over in a hurry and kill him if need be,before my rifle was positioned. My rifle was half way off safe before I swung over. Flipping it all the way forward actually made him hesitate and I was sending a BTHP his way. I was slow but quick about it if that makes any sense. I always turn my scope way down for this reason when calling for cats. You might get them really close and find yourself needing to get on target in a quick hurry.

Working on the picture right now.
Posted by: Dropadoglv

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 12:51 PM

Way to go okrattler!...to bad there's not an attachment icon (paperclip) to post pics...real easy to post from your phone..where most pics are taken. I still have issues. Try "tinypic", it's easier than photo bucket.
Posted by: TheBig1

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 01:00 PM

Nicely done OK, can't wait to see the pic!

You can post photos from your phone using Photobucket. You just need the PB app. That's how I do it.

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Dropadoglv
Way to go okrattler!...to bad there's not an attachment icon (paperclip) to post pics...real easy to post from your phone..where most pics are taken. I still have issues. Try "tinypic", it's easier than photo bucket.
That's kinda what what I'm thinking. I know how to do that. I'm about as computer illiterate as it gets. I'm on the verge of demolishing this computer.
Posted by: weekender

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 01:36 PM

Sometimes cats freeze and watch you move on them, sometimes they blow out. The ones that freeze, usually get froze.

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 01:44 PM

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh138/OKRattler/Mobile%20Uploads/KIMG0013.jpg?t=1456339101

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 01:46 PM

Alright....I did it wrong and it was a nightmare doing it. I'm not good at this.

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: weekender
Sometimes cats freeze and watch you move on them, sometimes they blow out. The ones that freeze, usually get froze.
Yep.lol He froze yesterday and he's really froze today.

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 02:20 PM

http://s255.photobucket.com/user/OKRattler/media/Mobile%20Uploads/KIMG0013.jpg.html]
Posted by: yotekiller47

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 02:27 PM

That's a good looking cat. Like the rifle too.

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 02:27 PM

Thank you! Good grief, It took me a LONG time to just post a link. I'm not up with the times,especially for my age. When it comes to technology....I'm not the right guy for the job.

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: yotekiller47
That's a good looking cat. Like the rifle too.
Thanks! It's my go to rifle for predator huntin. I've killed more with it than I have any of my other ones. But I've had it for a long time too. And amazingly I really haven't scratched it up or anything.
Posted by: Silverfox

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 02:39 PM

Congratulations!!! The belly and front shoulder coloring are beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing the story & taking the time to get the photo up.

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Silverfox
Congratulations!!! The belly and front shoulder coloring are beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing the story & taking the time to get the photo up.
He's one of the better ones I've shot as far as color. He was a decent sized cat too. Even from that close the bullet didn't exit so I was happy about that.
Posted by: jf1073

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 02:55 PM

speaking of "freezing"...........that's perfect for %^&(*^%$ photobucket. It freezes my cpu up more than any site I visit. Including the xxx ones.
hate it so bad.

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: jf1073

speaking of "freezing"...........that's perfect for %^&(*^%$ photobucket. It freezes my cpu up more than any site I visit. Including the xxx ones.
hate it so bad.
ahahahahahahahaha
Posted by: desert dave

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 03:09 PM

Nice cat! sweet gun

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 03:11 PM

What caliber gun is that?

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: TheBig1
It's a Ruger M77 MarkII .223,I shot that cat with a Hornady 52gr. BTHP. I've killed quite a few with that bullet and it's really good on the fur.
Posted by: Yocham

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 03:27 PM

Nice job. Good looking cat
Posted by: coolbrze

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 04:21 PM

Very nice!
Posted by: Predmann

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 04:29 PM

Nice cat. Congratulations

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 05:24 PM

Thanks guys. I'm still amazed how much ground he covered in a short amount of time without me seeing him or hearing anything. As many leaves as there were on the ground I figured it would be no problem hearing something coming before I saw it. It sure surprised me. About 2 minutes before I saw him a few doves flew over from the direction I was calling towards so I really started watching. I thought something might have scared them. I'm guessing that's exactly what happened.

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 05:35 PM

Okrattler, I see you got the pic of my cat, glad it worked out...wait, did I say that out loud?...JK...lol, great job and congrats...bet your blood pressure was up..were you somewhat steady on the sticks? Obviously! ;-)...purdy color! Out west here we tend to get lighter colored cats...

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 05:52 PM

Okrattler, I see you got the pic of my cat, glad it worked out...wait, did I say that out loud?...JK...lol, great job and congrats...bet your blood pressure was up..were you somewhat steady on the sticks? Obviously! ;-)
It was a long,frustrating process but I got it figured out somewhat.lol

Oh yeah I was plenty steady when it was time to shoot. The worst (most intense) part was getting the rifle in the right direction without running him off. As soon as I saw him I eased the safety half way forward so it wouldn't make noise as I kept my eyes on the cat. I just did it automatically,didn't really think about it. When I got the rifle and sticks across my right leg it was smooth sailing. I was looking through the scope before the sticks hit the ground. As soon I had them on the ground I clicked the safety all the way off and let one fly. He was getting nervous and I know he was thinkin about rippin out of there. He lifted his head to turn to his left when the safety clicked forward. That's when the bullet smacked him.
Posted by: Infidel 762

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 10:34 PM

Fine job indeed! Nice

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762
Fine job indeed! Nice
Thanks Infidel! I'm heading out tomorrow to try and call up another one. Hopefully I'll have some luck.
Posted by: Infidel 762

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762
Fine job indeed! Nice
Thanks Infidel! I'm heading out tomorrow to try and call up another one. Hopefully I'll have some luck.

2 or 3 days and the cats are '"somewhat" safe until December;)

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 11:37 PM

Yeah I don't have very long to make something happen. You never know though,I could have the best day calling I've ever had tomorrow. It's doubtful...but I like to think that way.

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 11:37 PM

Nice cat!

Once you download your picture to photobucket, scroll down below the pic. There are four choices, left click on bottom one, then right click and copy,then paste that link on PM and picture should show up.

Regards,
hm

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/25/16 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: hm1996
Nice cat!

Once you download your picture to photobucket, scroll down below the pic. There are four choices, left click on bottom one, then right click and copy,then paste that link on PM and picture should show up.

Regards,
hm
Thanks!I'll have to mess with it again and see if I can't get it completely figured out. Me and that computer I was using earlier were not getting along at all. It kept closing one tab every time I'd try to do something. I don't know why technology hates me so much. I'm nice to it and all it wants to do is give me the runaround.

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/26/16 12:06 AM

Man, I'm glad to hear someone else has a love hate relationship to this darned thing! lol

Regards,
hm
Posted by: FearNot Hunter

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/26/16 08:44 AM

I like it!!
Posted by: Softpoint

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/27/16 12:00 PM

It's a Ruger M77 MarkII .223,I shot that cat with a Hornady 52gr. BTHP. I've killed quite a few with that bullet and it's really good on the fur.

Did the BTHP destroy much fur on the neck? Does it exit on broadside shots? (Coyotes or Bobcats)

I have trapped a few Bobcats but never shot one. Don't want to destroy it when I do!

Nice cat by the way!

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/27/16 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Softpoint

Did the BTHP destroy much fur on the neck? Does it exit on broadside shots? (Coyotes or Bobcats)

I have trapped a few Bobcats but never shot one. Don't want to destroy it when I do!

Nice cat by the way!
No not at all. That wasn't the first bobcat I've shot in the neck with those bullets and have never tore one up. Not just neck shots but chest and broadside shots through the shoulder. Roughly dime sized exits on broadside shots. The only time I've ever had trouble with them tearing something up is when I've hit the edges of a coyote (spine shot especially) or gut shots. But that's about normal for any bullet. Pretty much every bobcat I've shot with these bullets has been fairly close (35-50 yards) but the majority were a facing chest shot so all of the bullets energy was dumped inside of their body without leaving an exit wound. I've only had one runner and it didn't run but 10 yards or so before piling up.

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/27/16 04:38 PM

Way to go rattler "man" I could only guess your in your "twenties"??? But gotta give you some props..your a "killer" and can tell you love it!!! I'm 50, but I really doubt I would be able to keep up with "ya"...keep at it...lol, a young 50!!!!
Posted by: Softpoint

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/27/16 06:30 PM

Thanks OKRattler. Very useful info. I'm going to load some up for next year. How fast are you coming out of the barrel?

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/28/16 10:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Softpoint
Thanks OKRattler. Very useful info. I'm going to load some up for next year. How fast are you coming out of the barrel?
To be honest I'm not sure. I've never shot any of my rifles through a chronograph. If they kill predators consistently with minimal fur damage I just keep shooting them. I've used several but have always went back to the Hornady 52gr BTHP.

Re: February 24th bobcat. - 02/28/16 10:27 AM

Way to go rattler "man" I could only guess your in your "twenties"??? But gotta give you some props..your a "killer" and can tell you love it!!! I'm 50, but I really doubt I would be able to keep up with "ya"...keep at it...lol, a young 50!!!!
Yes sir,I'm 26 years old. I appreciate it man,I really do love predator huntin. I just pulled an all nighter in Texas for a varmint hunt. 50 ain't old man you could handle it. 24 hours of shootin coyotes,jackrabbits and hogs ain't nothin. I literally just saw two coyotes cross the road. Makes me want to get back out there. I could do it all again,no problem. I live for this stuff.