Montana Wolf

Posted by: tjones

Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 09:46 AM

Saturday was open day for the general rifle season here in Montana. My son has been living out of state the past few years but had moved back this past spring. We have hunted together since he was old enough to go. He would tag along the years before he was old enough.

Thanksgiving week 2011 was the last year he was a resident and he shot an elk that week and that was the last year we hunted together until this year. It was great to be headed to the hills with him again.

It was a typical opening weekend, mild temps and lots of hunters. We headed to one of our old spots that had been good to us on opening day. We had some rain this past week so at least going was quiet.

We hunted the way we use to, staying together till about mid morning and he headed back to get the Jeep and drive to a spot and pick me up. There was not much elk sign, but it was a beautiful day and the start of a long season.

Shortly after splitting I heard what I thought was a wolf howl. Now I have heard a lot of wolves howl but this one sounded a bit hokey. At first I thought it was a guy. I sat tight till I heard it again but still wasn't convinced it was real. I thought what the heck and voice howled back. Sure enough I got an answer, so I howled again trying to imitate the howl. This time the whole canyon lite up. I could pick out at least 4 different howls above me and close.

The wind was perfect, steady down hill, so I howled again and moved slightly so I had a good view. I knew if they came in they would try and get down wind and I wanted to make sure I had both routes covered.

One more howl and I could hear them coming on the run. At about 70 yards I could see them flashing through the Lodgepole. I had a good opening to the left and as luck would have it that's where they were headed trying to get down wind. I could see two silvers coming hard. When they hit the open spot I howled again to try and stop them. It worked. The first one was behind a small tree, but the second was broadside at 50 yards. Up went the rifle and off went the shot. The wolf went down immediately and never twitched. A Triple Shock through the shoulders.

I could not believe what just happened. I have been hunting wolves since they got delisted and have had close calls but never a shot. I chalked it up to having my son back as a good luck charm.

I howled right after the shot and for about 30 minutes with my wolf laying there the rest of the pack howled back at me. Very cool. They moved back up the hill and I could tell there were 4 left. One of the best days I have had in the field. I hiked out, got my son and went back for pics. We decided to pack the wolf out whole so we could get it on a scale. 3 hours later we were headed home, all smiles.

Posted by: OGSix

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 09:58 AM

That is AWESOME! Great story and even better you got to do it with your son!
Posted by: 220_Swift

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 10:09 AM

Great looking wolf.

Congratulations!!!!!
Posted by: batman1262

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 10:11 AM

Congrats!! That is a true trophy! I have always said, you gotta be there to get lucky.

What did it weigh?

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 10:16 AM

Anyone want to take a guess at the weight?
Posted by: SlickerThanSnot

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 10:23 AM

holy smokes. what a great looking wolf. congrats mr jones. wow.

116 pounds
Posted by: reaper4

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 10:24 AM

Posted by: WhoCares

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 10:26 AM

So did u weigh it? And did u measure it? I'm really curious cause it looks huge. Beautiful just Beautiful. I think it would be a bit concerning knowing 4 or 5 of those huge animals were running around hungry in the woods with me! Something I really never think about down here in Texas.

My guess 150
Posted by: batman1262

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 10:30 AM

Posted by: 220_Swift

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 11:11 AM

Originally Posted By: tjones
Anyone want to take a guess at the weight?

Real Heavy!!!!!
Posted by: catwhacker

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 11:21 AM

Nice write up and wolf Tony!! Nice to see you hunting with your son again!!

Posted by: lyotehunter

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 11:24 AM

great wolf,my buddy weighed his last one and it was 172lbs.that one looks like it could go 145 hard to tell by pictures
Posted by: crittr gittr

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 11:29 AM

Congrats on a very fine trophy. 135 lbs?
Posted by: Kiyotes

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 11:33 AM

Nice one. 110 lbs
Posted by: AZG

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 11:37 AM

I sure do enjoy these wolf stories. I would love to hunt a wolf. Really like to get me a black or white one. Pretty awesome photos. Great job!
Posted by: possumal

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 11:42 AM

Getting back out hunting with your son is cool stuff. Thanks for sharing the great story and pictures. I'd guess 138 pounds.
Posted by: bigsky_songdogs

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 11:46 AM

Beautiful wolf Tony! What an awesome experience and s great trophy. I hope to have the same experience some day. I'm sure our elk herds thank you
Posted by: tripod3

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 12:02 PM

What a score. What are you going to do with it. Did you package it as elk meat.
Posted by: atd

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 12:19 PM

Great hunt and pics-they should give you a dozen preference points towards a moose tag to boot.

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: tripod3
What a score. What are you going to do with it. Did you package it as elk meat.

I am going to rug it. Elk/moose mix!
Posted by: bryan h

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 12:48 PM

Congratulations what a story 170?
Posted by: Infidel 762

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 02:11 PM

That is one big coyote... I would guess that thing to weigh at least 25 or 30 pounds... Seriously though that is awesome... I would love to shoot a wolf someday...
Posted by: Chad1754

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 02:57 PM

Awesome story gave me the chills, hope this happens to me someday.
Posted by: JoshuaN

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 02:59 PM

Jesus that's a big dog! Can you imagine being cornered by one let alone a pack of them. Very nice! I'm sure that coat was pretty thick and fluffy so I'm going to say 85 pounds.
Posted by: jcs271

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 03:08 PM

I will guess 95lbs. Great job on getting one, they are intense to hunt. I laughed about the poor quality of the howl, I have heard so many crappy howls that it is more typical than not. Happily the wind was in your favor or they never would have been seen. Now go find another one!
Posted by: phutch30

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 03:10 PM

90-100lbs
Posted by: Overwatcher

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 03:43 PM

Nice work! Love the nice white and silver coat.IMO they look much better then the Grey/Black mix.My guess on weight is 90ish range.

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: jcs271
I will guess 95lbs. Great job on getting one, they are intense to hunt. I laughed about the poor quality of the howl, I have heard so many crappy howls that it is more typical than not. Happily the wind was in your favor or they never would have been seen. Now go find another one!

Yep as with calling any predator the wind is most important. I have howled at plenty, but this one was crazy bad, so bad I thought for sure it was a guy with a new howler he didn't know how to use. smile
Posted by: Tbone-AZ

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 03:51 PM

That is amazing.. Congrats
Posted by: yotebuster10

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 04:31 PM

Truly a amazing write up and animal...I wish one day to cross a wolf off on my bucket list... Good job...
Posted by: utdavidhunting

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 06:02 PM

Nice wolf!

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 06:23 PM

So what was it's weight

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: bryan h
So what was it's weight

81 pounds

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 07:33 PM

Looked like it would have been more I've got a 6 month old lab that weighs 57 lbs great looking wolf.

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 09:17 PM

Thanks for sharing your story hope to get the chance some day to take a wolf what an adrenaline rush it must be congratulations again.
Posted by: krffrog

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 09:43 PM

Great write up and pictures. Congratulations on your success and having your son along to share it with
Posted by: kneeswornout

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/27/14 10:30 PM

What a memory that will be for a very long time. Way to call'em in.
Posted by: Silverfox

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/28/14 12:23 AM

tjones--Congratulations!!! That had to be one fantastic hunt for you, especially since your son brought you such good luck. Thanks for sharing the story and photos with us.
Posted by: mtngroan

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/28/14 12:34 AM

Awesome!
Posted by: GRIZZLYONE

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/28/14 01:04 AM

Good job Tony I's proud. Grizz
Posted by: NV Bill

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/28/14 06:49 AM

Congratulations! What a beautiful wolf, makes me miss hunting back home in MT.

Thanks for sharing
Posted by: Tactical .20

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/28/14 10:57 AM

nice looking fur! they sell for 400$ ??
Posted by: Kizmo

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/28/14 03:06 PM

Great hunt and write up!
Posted by: weekender

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/28/14 06:33 PM

fine job on the wolf and congrats on getting to share it with your son
Posted by: DesertRam

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/28/14 09:55 PM

What a beauty!
Posted by: Powerstroke99

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/28/14 10:00 PM

Very cool. 140lbs?
Posted by: SteeliemonMI

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/29/14 05:55 PM

Wow! What an awesome adventure. Can't get much better than that. Beautiful wolf in Big Sky country. Tremendous accomplishment. Gotta be in the right place at the right time at a minimum. Glad that you got your old hunting buddy back with you. Can't have an unsuccessful hunt now.

Have a great winter.
Posted by: NMCoyoteHunter01

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/29/14 10:57 PM

That's awesome.
Posted by: mtcurman

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/30/14 10:28 AM

Outstanding! Gorgeous wolf...

Re: Montana Wolf - 10/31/14 08:31 PM

Thanks guys, headed out tomorrow for more fun.
Posted by: Hawk-eye

Re: Montana Wolf - 11/02/14 12:12 AM

Tony that is unreal!!! I'm so happy for you to get that wolf and do it with your son too. You deserve it. For all you've done to help predator callers out all over the country, it couldn't happen to a better guy! Again congratulations! Oh and I'm jealous!!!
Posted by: dan brothers

Re: Montana Wolf - 11/02/14 07:15 AM

Posted by: huntnfishpa

Re: Montana Wolf - 11/09/14 12:34 AM

Very nice! And to share it with your son, doesn't get much better than that.