What happens to coyotes from WCCC?

Posted by: SSharp

What happens to coyotes from WCCC? - 12/08/11 03:04 PM

When I returned home from the World Coyote Calling Championships everyone wanted to know what happened to all of the dead coyotes. GREAT QUESTION!!! Thought I would share some pics just in case anyone else were wondering the same thing.

This is just some of what they started with. I saw two trailer loads head back to the skinning tables. It said in the rules that all coyotes brought in to the check-in were the property of the contest. Since it was hosted by the New Mexico Trappers Association, I guess they owned them all. So get to skinning!!!

These were some of the neatest skinning tables I have every seen. Clamps on one end to hold the back legs and a small winch with clamps on the other to help pull the hide over the carcass. There was a lot less knife work than I expected because the wench did most of the work after clearing the back legs and tail area. Man that coyote hide is some tough stuff. It amazed me how much pressure they could use on the winch without ripping the hide.

These guys were SUPER FAST at skinning. I don't know how many they skinned or how they were culling thru them, but by the end there were a lot of hides hanging on the fence. Just a little behind the scenes action from the 2011 World Coyote Calling Championships in Belen, NM.

Posted by: cfishman

Re: What happens to coyotes from WCCC? - 12/08/11 03:13 PM

Thanks for sharing!! Interesting
Posted by: wisel86

Re: What happens to coyotes from WCCC? - 12/08/11 03:22 PM

Man thats freggin amazing.
Posted by: TonyTebbe

Re: What happens to coyotes from WCCC? - 12/08/11 03:23 PM

The funds from the fur sales go into defending our trapping and hunting heritage via the NMTA. A very well cause. There was a furbuyer there to buy the green hides.

Man, there was some seriously primed up fur brought in. I would have killed to take a couple dozen home to put up.

Tony
Posted by: carsonwild

Re: What happens to coyotes from WCCC? - 12/08/11 04:00 PM

Woooow that's a stack of coyotes thank for sharing.
Did anyone have the final tally on how many coyotes were brought in?
Posted by: yfzduner450

Re: What happens to coyotes from WCCC? - 12/08/11 04:09 PM

That's a pile of coyotes!!!!
Posted by: cawilson82

Re: What happens to coyotes from WCCC? - 12/08/11 04:32 PM

That's next years meat for the banquet. Cool post
Posted by: howler_87413

Re: What happens to coyotes from WCCC? - 12/08/11 04:53 PM

Man that is awsome!!!! How much for a table....LOL... (not that i a very successful) LOL!
Posted by: SalemDawger

Re: What happens to coyotes from WCCC? - 12/08/11 07:15 PM

When you say super fast, what does that equate to in time? That would be awesome training to learn how to skin faster.
Posted by: Tyler Burgin

Re: What happens to coyotes from WCCC? - 12/08/11 07:34 PM

That is too cool. How many coyotes total were killed?
Posted by: blakeswia

Re: What happens to coyotes from WCCC? - 12/08/11 08:58 PM

Wow, that is interesting, thanks for sharing with us. smile

Re: What happens to coyotes from WCCC? - 12/08/11 09:56 PM

I am still trying to find out the total number killed. It wasn't posted before I left check-in headed to the banquet. They didn't give us the total number there either. Tony did hear the final number?
Posted by: 12Ring

Re: What happens to coyotes from WCCC? - 12/09/11 12:55 PM

My guess is there was around 300-350. There looked to be aboutt 50-60 teams that had 0 or 1. First and second place were out of staters. I bet most of the coyotes were killed in another state. We really don't have that many coyotes in NM. wink

Re: What happens to coyotes from WCCC? - 12/12/11 11:38 AM

Word I received this morning from Red Cunningham, on the total coyotes killed was 434.
Posted by: carsonwild

Re: What happens to coyotes from WCCC? - 12/12/11 01:25 PM

Holly cow that's a lot of coyotes.
I did a average weight calculation of 25 lbs for that many yotes and came up with 5.5 ton of dead yotes. Woooow!!
Thanks Sharps for getting the finely tally.
Posted by: dan brothers

Re: What happens to coyotes from WCCC? - 12/12/11 04:29 PM

Hey... that's me standing on the left hand side being a watcher....

That was a pile of dogs... all I could think of was.... Boy O Boy... I'm glad I don't have to skin all those dogs... but they did have it down to a science...
Posted by: dan brothers

Re: What happens to coyotes from WCCC? - 12/12/11 04:31 PM

Ooops
Posted by: James Lieb

Re: What happens to coyotes from WCCC? - 12/12/11 08:47 PM

Very Impressive!!!