best chronograph for the money?

yotefixer

Thoughts on best chronograph for the money?
I'm sure different makes work better in bright sunlight, hot / cold temps ect. ..
Thanks in advance!

Picked up a Shooting Chrony F-1 on sale at Midway a year or so ago for $70. I've been very pleased with it the display is large enough to read from a little distance so no need to have the removable screen and other fancy stuff. Rigged a button from a headphone jack and a button from an old junk stereo. Never had a problem with it, on overcast days it will read without the sky screens.

Last edited:
I have three. I started with a shooting chrony, ok but not great. Then I won a pact off a prize table, better. Then I bought an Oehler 35p. Far and away the best of the three I have knowledge of. It works cloudy or sunny, and the proof channel throws out the funny readings, not that you have many. I was chronoing on the pact, and had some very consistent readings until it went crazy and my 3500 fps load jumped up to 5000-5300, with weighed charges and a very full case of vv 135. It won't move that fast. That is what made me buy the Oehler.

Thanks for the input guys
Will keep this in mind
Hope to have one within 6 months
Still have to set up the reload room from the move from NM

He asked for, the best for the $$$$, not the best. I own chrony's. Inexpensive and accurate. As for readings of 5,000 or 6,000 fps. Mine did the same thing, turns out it was reading the gases not the bullet. Need to move it a little farther away.

After you screw up and shoot one, and a lot of guys do, you won't feel so bad about destroying a $70 unit instead of a $250 one. I always thought you'd have to be an idiot to shoot one. If so, I are one!

I shot my Chrony...had it ten years though, so it was a convenient accident that allowed me to upgrade to a Competitive Edge Dynamics M2. I'm glad I shot that Chrony. It wasn't bad, just a PITA to set up and see. The CED M2 is nice. They all work, it's just a matter of disposable income. If you are serious about reloading they are an absolute necessity to wring that last 25% out of your cartridge, And they are a great confidence builder; how do you use any of the ballistic calculators without it? Just my opinion...

"ProChrono" by Competion Electronics
They also make timers and other electronic units for shooters. Easy to use, runs on a 9v battery. While gases have blown off the front plastic face cover, it easily goes back in place, and I haven't put a bullet through it yet. Knock on Wood.

For reloaders, especially rifle reloaders, I agree with ak4wd that their a necessity. I have a ballistic program in my old PDA, which I take to the range with me. Once I know the velocity, which can be different than the manuals; the ballistics program helps me sight in my rifle to maximize that load based on that velocity.

Back