Wolf Hunting Techniques

Hello all and right off the bat I want it to be known I have no experience hunting wolves nor can I contribute to this thread. It is my hope that some folks in this forum will contribute with their ideas and techniques that prove successful with hunting these absolute killing machines. I ask that everyone provide information that could help with the bigger problem: Wolf Management. My background to date has been 10 years of predator hunting, but my bucket list is hunting these things. My desire was reignited when I was hunting Mule Deer in Idaho last year and heard a pack roll through. Their behavior and sounds were chilling. So let's work together and hunt'em down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My BinL calls them in WI while hunting coyotes, they respond to his coyote calls. They were protected then.

There are a couple on the sight that have killed them. I believe one even took one with a bow.

Just like anything else, you have to hunt them where they live. And wolves have a HUGE territory. I've talked in depth with someone who guides for them and he won't even go out unless there is snow on the ground for tracking, and even then he uses a ATV or snowmobile to initially cover ground and cut tracks.

I had intentions of making an effort, but unresolved health issues have kept me from going.

Just like anything else, you have to hunt them where they live. And wolves have a HUGE territory. I've talked in depth with someone who guides for them and he won't even go out unless there is snow on the ground for tracking, and even then he uses a ATV or snowmobile to initially cover ground and cut tracks.

I had intentions of making an effort, but unresolved health issues have kept me from going.

Yes, you bring up a good point. A friend of mine 3 years ago were hunting Elk and we entered into an area that had a TON of Elk sign. I mean tracks, fresh scat, trails, etc. But no sounds. No calls. We continued to glass the area for over 2 more days and that was when the mystery was solved. We saw a wolf about 2 miles away. They truly do alter the hunting landscape, for the worse.

Back