Video added~Talked with a fellow coyote hunter about the effects of an east wind…

Infidel 762

Staff member
I had a solid night hunting coyotes on new farmland. By dawn, my batteries were running as low as the first rays of light. Sunrise highlights the interdependence of night and day, as they cannot exist without each other and cannot occupy the same space simultaneously. They remain forever apart, yet together forever, spinning in a recurring cycle. Spinning with balance and rhythm.

I hunted all night, I shot the last coyote as color began to radiate from the eastern horizon. As I walked back to my truck, a gentle rain began to fall, and I gazed off to the horizon. Staring off into the distance is a form of meditation, a practice of mindfulness that allows us to detach from the trivialities of the mundane and connect with something greater than ourselves. It is in these moments of reverie that we discover clarity amidst confusion, inspiration amidst stagnation.

As you gaze into the distance, your eyes unfocused, your mind begins to wander into new realms of thought. In that moment, you are not merely observing; you are communing with something greater than self. Staring off into the distance is a simple act of introspection, a reprieve to a quiet moment, amidst the routine of everyday life, we find solace in the gentle rhythm of our own thoughts. So take a moment to pause, look into the distance and let your mind wander. I know I do…

03F88DE0-5E5F-4DED-9810-FC17CE641BB0.jpeg

Always remember that after a dark night comes a bright day.

03ABA17A-93EE-458B-B507-F37AF43C5624.jpeg

The sun had just gone down as I set out for a long walk. Along the way, I saw deer, raccoons, and a variety of rodents. There were moments of stillness, where I paused and observed the flashing beacon lights of wind turbines, set against the backdrop of a sliver moon. I trudged an uncanny path and howled with the coyotes until the sound of birds at the break of dawn. As the sun rose, the landscape transformed and the shadows grew longer. The world transforms throughout the day, each moment bringing other possibilities and perspectives. It is the interplay between light and shadow that adds color and dimension to the fabric of life.

C70BCC74-FC8D-4078-9C92-3476959E6187.jpeg

The X24 was singing this night. It’s sound cut through the stillness of dark, as coyote after coyote stalked into its medley. Their bodies glowed, as I watched them approach through the reticle of the RIX Optics L6.

96F83321-61BB-423A-8C69-620217B2E1D9.jpeg

old Tom I called in, his teeth were worn down like an old coyote

89ECEFF9-E81D-4F25-9C7B-4E12EDAE25A5.jpeg

walked by an old truck out hunting;)

6A6646E1-118E-4BEB-A67B-29ED6DCEFC0F.jpeg

I recently had a discussion with a fellow coyote hunter about how an Easterly wind affects animal activity. It was after midnight and I had made nothing but dry stands in a wet environment. I reaffirmed by belief that an Easterly wind does indeed have an impact on hunting. I was ready to call it a night, feeling tired and wet. However, I saw a post on my phone from another coyote hunter about “embracing the grind". I decided to take this to heart and head back out into the muddy fields with the Easterly wind. I ground it out until the rain started just before dawn. Eventually it came together on a couple stands, but it is the grind that makes it special when it does happen.

Until the colors run dry.

03A123AB-9B00-450D-AFB9-23762B59C627.jpeg

here is the conversation I had with the fellow coyote hunter discussing an east wind and coyote hunting in general;

4EBBCFF6-79BA-4A18-BD98-8C85D2D59AC7.jpeg

Jeremiah at Boondock-Outdoors.com crafted me this custom neoprene cover for my X24.

Wile E. Coyote is an inspiration, demonstrating the power of perseverance in the face of adversity. He perseveres with the heart of a lion, while intuitively knowing what he was born to do. Rather than succumbing to failure, he uses his setbacks to fuel his creativity and innovation. The unwavering commitment and fervor he exhibits are a tribute to the resilience and instincts of the coyote. Never give up.

4546A62E-BAD7-4910-9455-5BD21B421C77.jpeg

Attachments

• 9C6374EF-DF6B-473E-91D8-05B12E9A2BAF.jpeg
    9C6374EF-DF6B-473E-91D8-05B12E9A2BAF.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Seems like a great night of hunting. You're posts are always top notch with the great pictures and background. I'll have to give the podcast a listen.

Great story, Jeremy; good to have you back.
Enjoyed the podcast! Thanks for posting.
I recently had a discussion with a fellow coyote hunter about how an Easterly wind affects animal activity. It was after midnight and I had made nothing but dry stands in a wet environment. I reaffirmed by belief that an Easterly wind does indeed have an impact on hunting. I was ready to call it a night, feeling tired and wet. However, I saw a post on my phone from another coyote hunter about “embracing the grind". I decided to take this to heart and head back out into the muddy fields with the Easterly wind. I ground it out until the rain started just before dawn. Eventually it came together on a couple stands, but it is the grind that makes it special when it does happen.

Interesting; my dad was an avid bay fisherman and he always swore that fishing was always poor on an easterly wind. I was never the accomplished fisherman he was but my limited experience seemed to confirm that as a fact.

Great story, Jeremy; good to have you back.
Enjoyed the podcast! Thanks for posting.

Interesting; my dad was an avid bay fisherman and he always swore that fishing was always poor on an easterly wind. I was never the accomplished fisherman he was but my limited experience seemed to confirm that as a fact.
it is never set in stone. I went out the other night with an east wind and did pretty good:)

Fishing saying here in the east is "east is least". Another incredible post with excellent pics and the always well thought out reads to go along with them. You just might get this predator hunting thing figured out, if you keep practicing lolololol.
I listened to the podcast. GOOD STUFF!

Last edited:
Dang it man. Just listened to that podcast today. In fact I was gonna start a thread this evening asking what States don’t allow thermal/night hunting. I was really surprised to learn OK just allowed it within the last couple of years.
Great post and pics!!

Back