Too tight

dirtytough

This was a quarter I’ve never called from before. 600 yards to the west is a small knob on private I’ve been able to call from before. The quarter has limited visibility because of the terrain and brush. Not great for night hunting but I have had such good stands on the private I decided to give it a try.

Since I’ve had coyotes cross the road when calling the private before I figured I would stand while scanning so I could scan 360 and kneel to shoot. I was hoping I would be high enough to shoot over the brush.

After a letting out a couple howls I got an answer from the NE on other private that sounded around a mile away. I swapped to bird while they were howling. It didn’t take long.

I didn’t even take time to kneel. I just crouched down. The closest was a young female. The other was a good sized male. Sometimes you get lucky and kill the correct one first. 113 yards and 290 yards according to OnX.

Sweet videos and great shooting. The second video is very impressive; sweet triple. Showed some restrain to not start spraying as they ran away.

Sweet videos and great shooting. The second video is very impressive; sweet triple. Showed some restrain to not start spraying as they ran away.
Thanks. I have barely shot/shot at moving or running coyotes. And the more coyotes I see the more I can tell if they will stop or not usually. The guys that routinely shoot moving coyotes are pretty impressive.
Man they all came "on a string". Mighty fine shooting and "waiting for the shot".
I don't post many vids of the coyotes that are "lazy" or circling slowly for wind etc. The hard chargers though are a lot more exciting to me so that's what I post. The other night I shot 9 coyotes. 3 doubles and a triple. Most were fairly lazy though. A single and the double in the vid I posted were the 3/9 coyotes I shot that came in on a string.

A good tripod is definitely the difference in a solid or wobbly hold for myself. It’s not as mobile as sticks or a bipod. But I use it during the day also. My confidence is pretty high when shooting with it.
That's more than luck, my friend, that's some hard holding! Congrats
I meant luck that I shot the female first. If I shot the male I don’t know if the female would have stopped.

That second video is a dream stand. Like you said, the more coyotes you shoot, the more you learn their body language on whether stopping is on their mind.

Back