This One Is For Linda....

Kino M

Staff member
This year I went deer hunting on the opener with a "brand new" rifle from my Mom....

My Mom was a very avid deer and antelope hunter. She unfortunately died way early from cancer at 58 years old, back in 2008. I was deployed to Iraq when she got sick and sent home on a red cross message and she died 3 days later. It was the hardest, most emotionally painful thing I've ever been through to this day.

I inherited her guns and they have been "Safe Queens" every since. My heart is still broken of her loss but this year something clicked and I FINALLY decided to pull her prized woods rifle she used in the hills of Kentucky for whitetails out of retirement.

Not sure exactly when it was made but she bought it new back around 1980 or so, it's been the death of many a whitetail and even several antelope in Wyoming. It's a Remington 742 Woodsmaster , enough shine and gloss to blind you!! It's also without question the worst shooting rifle in my safe, a solid "minute of paper plate" at 250!!

It's a 3006 and I worked up a handload with 150gr Sierra gamekings setting on a moderate load of H4198.

I have a stand on my farm that I own that's called the "Linda" stand, named after my mother so I thought it would be appropriate to hunt in it. She wasn't alive when I acquired this farm and hasn't ever hunted it but this little piece of whitetail heaven would be right up her alley. I put a brand new condo up there this summer but it's a well proven spot since I've had the farm the last 8 years.

On opening day of rifle season this year I headed into "Mom's" stand with Moms rifle. A little after first light I had 2 does come into the food plot and was on full alert. I could tell that something else was out there. To myself I was saying "send me a decent buck mom and I'll handle the rest!" I've carried her lifetime license on me for luck every trip and to take part of her with me.

The does picked around in the Ladino clover I planted about 40 yards from the blind, the morning light was making the dew glisten on their wet noses. Taking a detailed look through my Leica 10x42s I could even see the biggest old doe had a small split in her left ear.

After awhile of watching them feed along they both alerted and I knew something was coming in hot and a nice 8 point came screaming into the plot. I snapped Mom's rifle and made a trotting 40 yard shot. As soon as I pulled the trigger I knew the hit counted, the buck tucked hi tail and ran about 50 yards and crashed.

Now for the "unbelievable" part of this whole story and I don't care if you believe this part or not but as soon as the buck fell dead, I pulled my phone to look at the time, the screen said 7:42. Coincidence??? Possibly but I think not and as I put it all together the tears dripped down my face....

This one was for you Mom, I know your still with me!

The "Linda" stand.

KIMG1521.JPG

Mom's Remington 742 fresh out of retirement.

KIMG1522.JPG

KIMG1519.JPG

By far not my biggest buck but definitely the most special!!!
KIMG1524.JPG

Mom's lifetime license along with my best friends license that died a year after mom, I carry them on every trip.

KIMG1535.JPG

I'll meet you on the other side, until then keep sending me good karma!!

Linda Faye Motteler

KIMG1536.JPG

Sounds like you had an awesome mom. Congrats on the special kill! The sling on that rifle reminded me of my old sling
that had a similar picture on it. I will have to try to locate that sling.

Thanks for sharing!!! These kind of posts are what makes forums great.

Sounds like you had an awesome mom. Congrats on the special kill! The sling on that rifle reminded me of my old sling
that had a similar picture on it. I will have to try to locate that sling.

Thanks for sharing!!! These kind of posts are what makes forums great.

Thanks for taking the time to read and commenting, hopefully with the ease to share pictures with stories guys will write more here, looking forward to seeing your old sling!

Your right, my mom was pretty dang awesome!

Brings back some fond memories, Kino. Family memories and the firearms they used do have a special place in our hearts. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
hm

That's a hunt to be proud of.

I had almost the same gun back in the day, only mine was a 742 Carbine with the 18" barrel in 30-06.

Great story and well shared! Remington was not bashful about adding the bling finish to their products, wish I had kept more of the many that have been through my hands.

Great story man. Sorry about your mom, but your way of honoring her and taking a part of her along with you is to be commended. Thanks for sharing.

Outstanding... thank you for sharing. Your mom sounds like an interesting lady! I have my Dad's rifle, a Browning BLR '81 .308, and hunt opening day every year with it. We always hunted big blocks of public ground here in the Ozarks and Dad had a favorite ridge complex to hunt on. I took a doe there this past Sunday. Not with Dad's rifle, it seems to have developed a timing problem with the gear system the BLR uses and is out of commission right now. But the place is the same and the memories are strong when I hunt that ridge complex.

Wow. That must have been hard to put into words. Sounds like your Mom was a great gal and a special parent. And THANK YOU for your service to our Country, btw.

It seems like the 742 in 30.06 was mandatory back in that era. I know I had to have one. And like you said ... not a very accurate rifle but good enough to hit a deer.

Hey Kino, thanks for sharing this with us. What a great way to honor your mom's memory. It also drives home how blessed I am to have both my parents still (in their early 70s) - thanks.

Congratulations on your special deer taken with a special rifle. Sorry for your loss, way to damn young. Keep on making special memories with them.

Back