That’s all she wrote!

hunt0168

I went out for the last hunt of the season. I wasn’t expecting to, but it just worked out that way. It was super windy all day but it calmed right down just before dark. I’m sure my wife could tell that I was itching to go. I’m always itching to go! Lol. She said “Just go, but you better not stay out all night and screw up Easter!”. Deal!

I made two sets. First one I had some responding from across the road on land I don’t have access to. Second set was where I shot the male a few nights backl. I got in a little deeper on the property and as I was walking back after setting the caller out some coyotes fired off a few hundred yards off. I gave them rabbit, bird, howls, wimpers, 30 minutes of silence, Guinea pig distress, baby woodchuck distress. I was on this set for 1.5 hours! The coyotes would occasionally let me know they were still there. I figured they might be the two that survived the encounter just a few nights ago and just weren’t ready to forget that their buddy disappeared. I played about 30 seconds of lightning jack and went right into Grey Fox Fight and this tiny female came running in from the opposite side of the field. I muted the caller and shot her at about 75 yards. Another season comes to a close. Happy Easter everyone!

Do y’all have an actual season on coyotes or is it just a night season?
An actual season. October 1st thru March 31st. Can hunt day or night within that timeframe. But it gets a little confusing about what firearms you can use and when.

Outside of deer seasons (gun, bow, muzzleloader or crossbow) you can use whatever you want. Shotgun, rimfire, centerfire of any caliber.

During ANY deer season, depending on what wildlife unit you’re in, you have to be careful. If it is legal to use rifles for deer in that unit, you can use any firearm you want. If you are required to use a shotgun for deer in that unit, you can only use a shotgun, 22 caliber or smaller rimfire, or sub 22 caliber centerfire rifles. 204 Ruger for example.

It makes perfect sense, don’t you think? 😐

Back