Scope ideas for low light/full moon hunting

The S&B 4-16x56 Polar is more than likely the best low light scope made. I wish I could give you a hands on review but it is well out of my price range.

European hunters hunt well into the night, so European scope makers design scopes that cater to that type of hunting. High Quality glass and coatings plus large objectives make their scopes some of the best in the world for low light conditions. I'd look at some of the offerings from S&B, Zeiss, Meopta and IOR designed for low light hunting.

Welcome aboard

Last edited:
Looking for a new scope to mount on a 243 bolt gun. For low light and full moon coyote hunting.

If legal you honestly should look at thermal or night vision, both will easily outperform any day scope.

If your stuck with a day scope ad a light like the wicked or similar brand. When I hunted with lights (many years ago) I used a Leupold 3.5x10x50 VX3 with Illuminated reticle that worked really well.

As AWS said above the S&B is top shelf if you have the coin. When considering a day scope for night use make sure you buy one with a big front objective of 50mm or 56mm to allow light in and a 30 or 34mm tube. Lower magnification performs better. Quality coatings is another huge factor so it ain't going to be cheap. Lighted reticle is a must have IMO and I would want a SFP reticle.

If I had to buy a new day optic to night hunt with it would probably be a Nightforce 4x16 ATACR or maybe a Razor 3x18. Both are FFP but both check all other blocks and are quality.

Thermal is my # 1 pick with NV scopes being my 2nd for hunting in moon light or at night.

Last edited:
I would go with a Leupold like Kino M stated. If you don't want a Illuminated reticle then go with a heavy duplex. It will show up on moon lite nights in snow.

Back