Rangefinder rifle mounting solutions

LocalHunter

Does anyone run a traditional monocular rangefinder mounted to a rifle?

I am looking at getting a rangefinder instead of borrowing one finally and saw Vortex make the scope mounted impact 4000 which is $2k while the monocular models run much less.

When I'm in open country I range the terrain before I start the stand. I'm old, can't imagine a rangefinder mounted to a rifle in addition to a scope on a predator stand. Burris makes a ranging scope. I think it's called the Eliminator.

I think mounting the rangefinder to the rifle would be very awkward.

I do what AWS mentioned. I don't hunt at night, just daytime or late evening. When I get to a stand, I use my rangefinder and survey the area and mark objects on a small hand sketched map I make of the area. The map will show the distance to a particular tree, bush, rock formation, gate, etc.. When the critter comes in my area, a quick glance at my sketch and I know his distance to me. Once he is in my area, I no longer need the rangefinder. I make a sketch out to 400 yards and only shoot out to about 250-300 max. You can buy a small spiral notebook about 5"x7" and it's easy to put in your pack.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 11.47.01 AM.png

Last edited:
Does anyone run a traditional monocular rangefinder mounted to a rifle?

I am looking at getting a rangefinder instead of borrowing one finally and saw Vortex make the scope mounted impact 4000 which is $2k while the monocular models run much less.
Seems extremely tough to use a regular rangefinder since you need it up to your eye. They just don’t have the eye relief to work for the application you are talking about in my opinion.

You can get the Vortex WMLRF for around $1400 new. Sico Radius are selling for a decent price now that the Vortex is out.

A WMLRF is the fastest way to range and shoot from what I’ve seen. In areas with not much for landmarks like big CRP fields they are hard to beat.

Back