Pretty good 3 hour run.

JTPinTX

Custom Call Maker
Me and my partner left town about 7:30 pm and were back home by 10:30. Called a bunch of coyotes on the first 2 stands, had a blank, then 1 on the last stand. Hit 7, killed 5 for sure. I was shooting the CZ-527/223, partner was shooting 6.5 Grendel AR with 123's. All the coyotes were called with one of Kerry's Rabid Rabbit open reed distress calls.

The first stand was about 3/4 mile from the city dump. We called up 4 or maybe 5, got 3 of them killed. The stand was in a cotton patch that was not stripped because it did not make (dryland/drought), and had lots of grass out in it. About knee high but you could still see to shoot.

Second stand we pulled up to was a fallow peanut field. There were 5-7 coyotes and 4-5 pigs scattered around the field feeding. When I hit the call 3 coyotes started coming, 2 slowly and 1 charging fairly hard. My partner had a bobble on the charger and blew it's shoulder off. I didn't bother putting a finisher in it because I thought it was going down, and I was trying to keep an eye on the other 4-5 coyotes. The charger ended up escaping on 3 legs. Maybe it will survive, maybe not. I ended up hitting 2 of the others out far, killed one. 3rd stand was a blank, then 4th stand called one that was pretty spooky and kept wanting to circle.

Anyways, for sure not a bad haul for just a few hours.

Last edited:
The first stand was about 3/4 mile from the city dump. We called up 4 or maybe 5, got 3 of them killed. The stand was in a cotton patch that was not stripped because it did not make (dryland.drought), and had lots of grass out in it. About knee high but you could still see to shoot.
Man, that was a whole flock of 'em. Thanks for sharing. (y)

We have a lot of coyotes this year. They are spotty though. Very concentrated around resources it seems. So far not calling many singles. Either nothing, or a wad of them.

The first stand was kind of funny. Wind was from the south, we pulled in the field and parked the truck. It was out in the open, but between a couple of terraces in the field so not super visible. We walked 100-125 yards south and set up with the truck on the downwind side. We were trying to pull coyotes from the south and west, lots of cover that way. Before we started calling we had lots of coyotes lighting off in those directions. One pretty close. We called that one in from the west. Partner missed it. It dropped behind a terrace and headed south. In a minute or so we saw another one to the south. Actually not sure if it was the same one or a different one. But I got it stopped and killed it. That is the first kill on video.

About that time we scan around and there is one coming from downwind, from the direction of the dump ground. It is 75 yards or so in front of the pickup and is not paying any attention to the pickup or our scent. IDK, maybe he already had a nose full of human scent from scrounging the dump. We got him in for a good shot, did a countdown and dumped him with a double shot. At that point we see another one just off the front of the truck but further out. Maybe 225-250. I get him stopped and put him down. On that one the front bumper of the truck is just barely out of the FOV of the scope on the right. Those are kills 2 and 3 on the video. But there is still another coyote out there. Downwind to the north, but behind the truck, not to the front. We never shot at him though. He was 300+ and in cover. Just not a good shot so we left him for another day.

Hunting the thick brush does have some advantages..........if I were to see a covey of coyotes like that charging the call, I'm afraid the adrenaline rush would prevent me from picking a target, let alone any hopes of a steady shot.:ROFLMAO:
Thanks for posting, Jeff.

Me and my partner left town about 7:30 pm and were back home by 10:30. Called a bunch of coyotes on the first 2 stands, had a blank, then 1 on the last stand. Hit 7, killed 5 for sure. I was shooting the CZ-527/223, partner was shooting 6.5 Grendel AR with 123's. All the coyotes were called with one of Kerry's Rabid Rabbit open reed distress calls.

The first stand was about 3/4 mile from the city dump. We called up 4 or maybe 5, got 3 of them killed. The stand was in a cotton patch that was not stripped because it did not make (dryland/drought), and had lots of grass out in it. About knee high but you could still see to shoot.

Second stand we pulled up to was a fallow peanut field. There were 5-7 coyotes and 4-5 pigs scattered around the field feeding. When I hit the call 3 coyotes started coming, 2 slowly and 1 charging fairly hard. My partner had a bobble on the charger and blew it's shoulder off. I didn't bother putting a finisher in it because I thought it was going down, and I was trying to keep an eye on the other 4-5 coyotes. The charger ended up escaping on 3 legs. Maybe it will survive, maybe not. I ended up hitting 2 of the others out far, killed one. 3rd stand was a blank, then 4th stand called one that was pretty spooky and kept wanting to circle.

Anyways, for sure not a bad haul for just a few hours.

was that the sunsetting or just the color of the video regardless i liked it

Duck, that is the color I have set in my thermal, red monochrome. It was full dark when we were hunting. I like the red because it is not as hard on my eyes at night. I don't get as much eye fatigue.

Want to take a moment and thank you guys that take the time to post your videos.

Been a year since I've been able to get out after them myself, and I learned a long time ago, while shooting competition, the value of "visualization" since accurate shooting is largely a mental function; probably 90% mental/10% physical, IMO. Dry firing was very helpful in target shooting, but "visualization" of what it takes to make a perfect shot was every bit as important when you could not dry fire.

I watch all these videos, and am hoping that visualizing exactly when I would break the shot will knock a bit of the rust off if and when I am able to get back out. Visualization of breaking a shot on a stationary target is easy, but it is harder to visualize without all the different possibilities presented by the coyotes in you guy's videos. Keep 'em coming, guys!

Back