Pig

17ahjoe

Hello all , n Happy Year,
Posting in Big Game, as that is what I was doing, Hunting Sambar Deer on some “fringe” country, I was told there were pigs seen in this area, but up to this day, (2 weeks ago) I had not seen any. Walking along boundary fence I picked up movement out in farmers grazing paddock, dark shape in the longish grass, at frost I thought it may have been a Wombat!!? But realised it was a Sow and a bunch of suckers
With her, maybe she had 5?, got into an uncomfortable rest! Missed first shot, (120 yards) , got into a better position, n second shot
thwack, spun around n down. Then I lined up a young one, hit it.
Later could not find the young in the long grass!!
I never really go out looking for pigs, but have shot one before, and Wild Dogs, quite a few, when I’m out after Sambar Deer.
Big sow. Taken with a Winchester Mod 70 F/weight, I had rebarrelled a few months ago into .280AI, 160gn Speer Grand Slam.
I’ve taken a few Sambar Deer this year, including 3 big bodied Stags, does the job!
Really am enjoying the content on the site, as I do a bit of Fox and small game hunting too.
Jay

Attachments

• 9A113E1D-E316-4E10-B92F-F66719D0F811.jpeg
    9A113E1D-E316-4E10-B92F-F66719D0F811.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 39
man you are talking my language
I had done the very same thing with a m/70 Featherweight
280 Ackley is one of my favorite rounds
I also took a M/70 Super Grade and turned it into a 35 Whelen

Hey Bob123, You r talking my language too!!
I built a custom rifle back in 1991 on a Mauser 98 in 35 Whalen, great.rifle, even better calibre, I used 250 gn Hornady
soft points, real show stopper.
Enjoy the Whalen...
Jay.

Back