Need Yawl's Thoughts.

Stroble

I have a T/C Encore 243 that I use for night hunting, I am looking to put a suppressor on it, the barrel is 24" to add a suppressor would make it 28-30" I don't like that extra length. My question is if I cut the barrel to 20" or 22" how much affect would there be on accuracy, my shots at night are under 200YD, here in PA. my longest may be 300-400YD in daylight that my confident range.

Zero, in fact it may shoot better as a shorter barrel is stiffer and has less harmonic whip.

Most people actually shoot better because of the reduced blast and slight reduction in recoil as well.

Cutting it from 24" down to 20" will cost you about 100fps but will be well worth it for being handier. I'd cut it to 20" or 18" and not think twice, the 243 has plenty of horsepower and you will notice no difference in terminal performance at those ranges.

Originally Posted By: Kino MZero, in fact it may shoot better as a shorter barrel is stiffer and has less harmonic whip.

Most people actually shoot better because of the reduced blast and slight reduction in recoil as well.

Cutting it from 24" down to 20" will cost you about 100fps but will be well worth it for being handier. I'd cut it to 20" or 18" and not think twice, the 243 has plenty of horsepower and you will notice no difference in terminal performance at those ranges.

^^^^this

I cut my 25" Krieger barrel in 6x47 Lapua down to 18" for suppressor use.

Afterwards, I re-did a quick load test around the original sweet spot, and the original load was still the winner.

Velocity loss was exactly 200 fps.

f64ouzO.jpg

Thanks for the info. guys I will stick with 20", that would be good if I can uses the same load that I am using, I reload myself. Nice looking setup alf. That tripod mount does that clamp on, doesn't look like a pic-rail no ballhead how do you like it?

Originally Posted By: Stroble Nice looking setup alf. That tripod mount does that clamp on, doesn't look like a pic-rail no ballhead how do you like it?

Thanks.....

Rifle has an ARCA plate on it, tripod has a leveling base with an ARCA clamp on top.

For the rifles I don't want to put a plate on, I have a Hog Saddle with an ARCA plate bolted to it.

Back