Ground Squirrels and weather

Fishwrestler

Ok guys and gals. I have never attended the squirrel round up in Cedarville Ca before and have hotel reservations and two entries paid for for my dad and I. Questions is how is ground squirrel shooting if its cloudy and cold. Forcast for the 17th and 18th of March is cold and possible rain not sure if the 6 hour treck is going ot be worth it thought about cancelling and just going up April sometime. Any one have any suggestions
Robert

From my experience shooting Columbian and Beldings ground squirrels cold rainy weather is usually poor shooting. I've had better luck getting some shooting in on the Beldings on rainy days. The Columbian squirrels hardly come above ground on bad days. If you do get a break in the weather on a bad day the squirrels will be up in droves to feed while they have the chance and shooting can be fantastic. I don't know what species of squirrels you are planning on shooting and how bad weather effects them though?

The 17th and 18th is quite a way off yet and the weather could change considerably between now and then. Spring weather is always risky at best. Good luck on your shoot

Quote:
I've had better luck getting some shooting in on the Beldings on rainy days. If you do get a break in the weather on a bad day the squirrels will be up in droves to feed while they have the chance and shooting can be fantastic. I don't know what species of squirrels you are planning on shooting and how bad weather effects them though?

The 17th and 18th is quite a way off yet and the weather could change considerably between now and then. Spring weather is always risky at best. Good luck on your shoot

Lonny
Thanks for the information
We will be shooting Beldings. I talked to the couple that runs the motel we are staying at. They said about the same Just wanted to make sure they just didn't tell me that so I wouldn't cancel my reservation.
Hoping the weather is clear those two days. I guess we will just make the trip if all else fails we will just have to go back up in April /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am sure the wife will understand
Thanks Again
Robert

I would definetly go back in late April. The young should be out of the den by that time and if you hit a day when the weather is good the shooting on those young dumb squirrels can be incredible. Bring lots of ammo.

Have fun and I hope you get some good weather!

I've shot them up there in the snow, the sun helps but there will be furry targets regardless unless it is raining or snowing. If it's wet access is an issue. I stay away from the Roundup that many guns in town at one time makes me nervous. I usually go up Sun. and shoot the week and come home Fri. Take your cold weather gear, if the winds blowing with just sitting can chill you to the bone. I think it's about 4-4500ft. in elev. Have fun and take lots of ammo. Dale

Quote:
I've shot them up there in the snow, the sun helps but there will be furry targets regardless unless it is raining or snowing. If it's wet access is an issue. I stay away from the Roundup that many guns in town at one time makes me nervous. I usually go up Sun. and shoot the week and come home Fri. Take your cold weather gear, if the winds blowing with just sitting can chill you to the bone. I think it's about 4-4500ft. in elev. Have fun and take lots of ammo. Dale

Dale
This is my first time up I am thinking I might find that I will shoot a different weekend next year just to get away from the people but thought this was a good place to start.
I am taking my cold weather gear and an EZ-Up. Taking about a 1000 rounds each for my 10/22, 17 Mach2 and 17HMR
Figure three thousand rounds should be enough for Friday Afternoon all day Saturday and maybe Sunday morning
Hope it is if not I may have to make one more run to the store for ammo. I ordered the DO ALL praireer Master Rotating shooting chair so when I pick it up this week I might have to get more ammo do you think 3000 is enough
Robert

Robert That's plenty of ammo. The EZ up will make a good sail if it's windy I personally wouldn't bother. You should have a Centerfire in your arsenal. When the wind blows (and it does alot up there) those rimfires can be a challenge. Good luck! Take your Cam and have some fun. Dale

Dale
I bought a new Savage SS Bull barrel 17 HMR and built the 17Mach2 from a 10/22 I had and put a bull barrel and new stock on a 10/22 a friend gave me bought a chair for the shoot needless to say I have tapped the bank account clean for this year I hoping to buy a Rifle next year in the Ruger 204.
All my current Center Fires are a little large for squirrels. Just think a 338 Win Mag or a 308 Norma mag or even my 30-06 are a tad to big.
My dad is bringing his TC in a 17 rem scoped I think I may bring my TC in 223 but it dosnt have a scope on it
We will make due and have fun this time. and let our arsenal continue to grow
Thanks for the information
Robert

Have shot Ceaderville multiple times a year over the past five years. It was fantastic on my frist few trips. Literally, 5-6 squirrels running thru my sight picture when aiming at one and actually going thru 400-600 rounds per day. Recently, It has Been just OK over the past two years with one 2 day trip, in good weather, only producing about 20 total shots fired. I do suspect most rancher/farmers have gone to poisons. With lead free ammo required and virtually non existent, it seems that had no other choice.

Back