Georgia turkey season

Great going Spurchaser on all the turkeys in this post. Our spring season here in NY fires up May 1st. Iā€™m hoping to get out after them but I gotta see how my hand is doing in a few days. I had carpal tunnel surgery today so not really sure what to expect?

hm1996, I think maybe your sonā€™s bird with the 416 Rem was simply poor bullet choice or poor placement? Looks like it may have splashed on a shoulder? Kinda hard to tell from the pic.šŸ¤£

Wild turkeys can make excellent table fare. My favorite is to make cutlets from the breasts. The legs I simply make soup but they do take a long time to become edible! I also do a honey glazed smoked breast that is fantastic.
IMG_4938.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep, based on the two pics above, I don't know how to cook wild turkey. :ROFLMAO:

hm1996, I think maybe your sonā€™s bird with the 416 Rem was simply poor bullet choice or poor placement? Looks like it may have splashed on a shoulder? Kinda hard to tell from the pic.šŸ¤£
Might go back one more step and say poor choice of rifle, but he was hunting bigger stuff at the time. Not that it would have made any difference, but a solid might have been better but I doubt seriously that the SP opened any. Believe it or not, didn't spoil any meat. He placed bullet at base of neck so nothing important was damaged. But wow what a spectacular feather shower; shame it couldn't have been recorded.

Last edited:
Yep, based on the two pics above, I don't know how to cook wild turkey. :ROFLMAO:

Might go back one more step and say poor choice of rifle, but he was hunting bigger stuff at the time. Not that it would have made any difference, but a solid might have been better but I doubt seriously that the SP opened any. Believe it or not, didn't spoil any meat. He placed bullet at base of neck so nothing important was damaged. But wow what a spectacular feather shower; shame it couldn't have been recorded.
Yeahā€¦ obviously more gun choice than bullet. My comment was all in jest. Donā€™t often hear about rifle killed turkeys. I guess if youā€™re gonna do it, do it BIG!

Yeahā€¦ obviously more gun choice than bullet. My comment was all in jest. Donā€™t often hear about rifle killed turkeys. I guess if youā€™re gonna do it, do it BIG!

I caught the jest, LOL. I, personally, am not much of a shotgun shooter, the only turkey I've ever killed was with a rifle. My son, OTOH is proficient w/either SG or rifle, but has shot more turkey w/rifle than w/shotgun. Turkey season is open during deer season down here and he always hunts deer on up with his Africa rifle. This was his first (and only, so far) turkey w/the .416, however. Poor turkey just happened to be at the right place, but wrong time.

Good story, one that I have lived through myself. I get to start carrying the gun Saturday but am already "sleep deprived" from listening/scouting the last 2 weeks. AND haven't been hearing much!!??

I caught the jest, LOL. I, personally, am not much of a shotgun shooter, the only turkey I've ever killed was with a rifle. My son, OTOH is proficient w/either SG or rifle, but has shot more turkey w/rifle than w/shotgun. Turkey season is open during deer season down here and he always hunts deer on up with his Africa rifle. This was his first (and only, so far) turkey w/the .416, however. Poor turkey just happened to be at the right place, but wrong time.
Here in NY we can only use shotgun or bow for turkeys. Mid 90ā€™s through 2010 there were crazy turkey numbers. They have been declining since. We still have birds but you have to be a bit more dedicated these days. I love hunting them and I just happen to be married to an excellent cook with a creative approach to her dishes. I stick to crock pot dishes and smoking dishes. Give me an open flame and Iā€™m a mess. Iā€™d probably be in the same ā€œinedibleā€ class as you and Murl B if I were to cook a turkey myself! Lol

Last edited:
I am lucky/blessed/honored enough to hunt a private wild quail plantation where I also have a ā€œsecond jobā€

When the population started to decline in our State we decided no more than 3-4 birds a year. Only twice in the last eight years I can think of weā€™ve taken 4 birds.

The manager left it up to my son and I to decide on how many birds to take each season. We decided we wanted a place to go where weā€™d always hear birds and have multiple chances throughout the season or even day, lol.

We have gobblers that will die of old age and Iā€™m ok with that. Even after weā€™ve all killed a bird, Iā€™ll get up and go out and just watch them.

He also let us come up with rules for deer. Before it was just 1 buck and 2 does and the buck had to be mounted. Now we shoot the heck out of does and a shoā€™nuff management deer and one trophy or 2 management deer. After a few years we started killed 130-140ā€ management deer and 160ā€+ trophies. I realize those measurements arenā€™t huge for some areas of the country but down here theyā€™re pretty dang good. Our weights increased as well with the an average adult doe live weight of 140-150 and the bucks at 200 and over. Of course with bucks it depends when theyā€™re taken. Prerut great weight, post rut and Iā€™ve seen some that I didnā€™t think would make it the following season.

Back