Fleas, Ticks, Mange and Parasites.

Hudson

Has anyone had a parasite transfer from handling fur?

If so, how did you deal with it?

I'm looking for best practices to avoid it all together.🙂

Fleas ..... not all that big of a threat usually.

Ticks .... a whole different ball game. Lupus, Rocky Man Spotted Fever, and several others come to mind. Ticks can be a bad issue.

If it is warm tuck your pants into your boots if you can. Ticks tend to progress upward on their host until they find a "comfortable" spot to dig in. And of course DEET isn't a bad idea either.

Last edited:
I had a small scabies mite issue, was mostly skinning muskrat at the time. And of course rabies transfer by my hand to my left eye from a coyote that I used my bare hand to put a drag rope in the mouth(and didn't wash hands). Pure luck the rabies virus went down my face instead of following the optic nerve to my brain.

I had a small scabies mite issue, was mostly skinning muskrat at the time. And of course rabies transfer by my hand to my left eye from a coyote that I used my bare hand to put a drag rope in the mouth(and didn't wash hands). Pure luck the rabies virus went down my face instead of following the optic nerve to my brain.
That's scary stuff. How did it affect you and for how long?

Yikes!!! That's the kind of experience I am hoping to learn from.

How'd you get rid of the scabies?

Did the rabies kill the nerve or leave lasting damage?

Note to self: Add a pair of gloves to my field kit and wash yer damn hands when you get home.

water based Permethrin concentrate is the way to go and dilute to ratio.....I spray all my clothes in spring and fall, let hang outside to dry and it will last for months

I try to wear surgical gloves when handling in field...I have a box in truck that I use to restock my backpack.

I put coyotes in a Jet Sled that's in the bed of truck to try to keep the ticks and blood "contained"....any mange stay in field or get bagged and dragged depending on if there are homes/farms close.

I used to skin barehanded when I ran traplines and think I dodged the bullet, but then we also ate the beaver, muskrats and small coon we caught. When I started calling coyote I think it was the smell that turned me to use gloves. Fox never smelt like coyotes and being as delicate as they are it was hard to think of them as any kind of carriers. I'm older, smarter and I think a little more about not being indestructible than I did in my youth.

I carry nitrile gloves in my skinning box in the truck and keep them handy in the fur shed. I hate how slippery they are but wear cheap cotton gloves over them or synthetic gloves liners. I use the heavier nitrile gloves made for mechanics.

I keep a old first-aid box in the truck with a couple knives, a diamond sharpener, tail stripper, rope to hang them with, screw driver, nitrile and cotton gloves. I like to skin in the field as it is much easier to get rid of carcasses now that I live in town. I have one box in the truck and another on the MC other wise if I had one box it would always be in the vehicle that I'm not in.

I've never had a problem with transfers of fleas and ticks, coyotes with fleas get dumped in a bag after getting sprayed or powdered. Ticks I get covered with just walking through the brush. I don't go back to WI for early grouse, woodcock and trout fishing any longer.

Last edited:
The scabies, doctor gave me some cream to apply. Gone in a few days. The rabies, started shots 9 days after contact. Neurologist said I have about 30% nerve damage left side of my face, mostly nerves to jaw. So I need to be careful about dental issues I may not feel until an infection occurs. Wash/disinfect your hands, wear gloves if you have compromised skin conditions. Tick diseases way more common than rabies or parasites issues.

You guys are going to laugh at this but I spray mine with Raid before i skin them. Probably luck but no problems yet. Also keep my dogs on the vet provided flea and tick protection year round.

Im old but in my youth I trapped thousands of muskrats and coons hundreds of mink fox beaver fox and coyotes and dozens of fisher otter and bobcats never got the nerve to skin a skunk though caught plenty of them.

Never wore gloves but washed my hands well when done. If an animal looked sick I left them in the woods. Never had any ill effects but beaver fat makes your whole body smell funny.

Back