Everyone’s thoughts on bipods/shooting sticks.

Even though there's already 4 pages of info and opinions here il toss my 2 cents in.
With nobody but myself and whatever info I could find in magazines,DVDs and TV shows to learn from I have taken a lot of styles and techniques from others. My shooting style is a lot like les Johnson so I sit with a bipod attached to the gun. Usually leaning back on an arm or in a folding seat to reduce my profile. I use a Caldwell pivot model which gives me lots of swivel to track coyotes. Usually by the time I run out of swivel I need to reposition my body anyways so it works well.
1000004583.jpg

Even though there's already 4 pages of info and opinions here il toss my 2 cents in.
With nobody but myself and whatever info I could find in magazines,DVDs and TV shows to learn from I have taken a lot of styles and techniques from others. My shooting style is a lot like les Johnson so I sit with a bipod attached to the gun. Usually leaning back on an arm or in a folding seat to reduce my profile. I use a Caldwell pivot model which gives me lots of swivel to track coyotes. Usually by the time I run out of swivel I need to reposition my body anyways so it works well.
View attachment 6015

Don’t matter if it’s 4 pages for 400, your experiences are different than others and are appreciated.

This is the setup I have now on my calling rig. How you’re setting up is exactly how I do it as well.

Guess it all boils down to the terrain you’re hunting. Down here you’d be hard pressed killing anything with a bipod unless you’re in a stand or on a field. You aren’t seeing through this brush and definitely not going after multiple targets if you happened to catch something in an opening.

I have to sit to shoot so use a trigger stick monopod. I made a 6" soft strap for the front sling mount that I hold with the pod handle to control recoil jump. Otherwise I'd need 3 hands. I can move the handle or my shoulder to adjust elevation or right to left maybe 90 degrees. Base of the stick stays in one spot. Moving to right is more difficult as I'm right handed but I compensate. Got a hog @ 100 and an armadillo @ 50 with that rig last week.

Even though there's already 4 pages of info and opinions here……..
Apparently 1/2 of the posts appear to be from those oblivious to other options like yours and others posted above. They think a bipod has to be permanently attached to rifle, heavy, bulky, and has legs less than 12” long, and you have to lay down to shoot.

I switched over from Harris Style Bipod do to fact when collapsing it throws dirt on gun big time if hunting in sand or wet conditions. I like Primo's Trigger stick tripod and
Swagger QD 42 quick detach bi pods for coyote hunting when multiple stands in single day is the norm.

Attachments

• IMG_3738.jpg
    IMG_3738.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 30
Anyone have any experience with these newer bipod/trigger sticks from Primos and spartan precision? These actually look pretty useful and the adjustability seems smooth.

Thats based on the two videos I could find on it. Surprised they haven’t advertised these a bit more.
IMG_7136.png

I started using the Spartan shooting sticks this year and like that they are only attached with a magnet.
I am going to try these. I like the way they operate, I acually had that exact idea years ago with a peg/hole design and rubber base built into legs like that. Was partnering with a small startup to make them but fell thru.
I still think thats an awsome design for sit down predator calling if they are tall enough.
Mark
Edit to say.. not the magnet setup… but the Spartan Springbok Shooing Sticks specifically

Last edited:
My two cents is, I use both. I have the tall Harris bipod on the rifle and bring my homemade shooting sticks I made many years ago. The sticks help me get a little taller than the bipod for sitting on the side of a hill.

All of my coyote hunting is hiking, I like the bipod if I spot one and need to go prone for a longer shot or sitting on flat ground. The sticks I use for everything else.

Back