Bird distress and Shotguns

Finally broke a dry spell with foxpros brown thrasher bird distress in some sagebrush country. Visibility is pretty short so I opted for 00 buckshot in my 12 gauge instead of the rifle. 5 mins in with the brown thrasher distress I hear footsteps coming in hot behind me, by the time I spun around the big old female was on her way out, luckily I made the shot count before she got out of range. I believe she was bedded down nearby and came up from where I least expected, right behind me up to 5 yards. Don’t overlook those small bird sounds to change things up!

Attachments

• IMG_1205.jpeg
    IMG_1205.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 40
Finally broke a dry spell with foxpros brown thrasher bird distress in some sagebrush country. Visibility is pretty short so I opted for 00 buckshot in my 12 gauge instead of the rifle. 5 mins in with the brown thrasher distress I hear footsteps coming in hot behind me, by the time I spun around the big old female was on her way out, luckily I made the shot count before she got out of range. I believe she was bedded down nearby and came up from where I least expected, right behind me up to 5 yards. Don’t overlook those small bird sounds to change things up!
Congrats man! That’s always a rush! Shotgun will always be my favorite. Glad you got it done, I’d bet you’re pumped!

I too like bird sounds where others have called a lot. Or if I'm going to hunt a place I've hunted before.

Ok thanks. Always wondered if they thought "hmmm, woodpeckers not usually actice after dark, must be a trap". Kinda figured a dinner bell is a dinner bell to them.

Ok thanks. Always wondered if they thought "hmmm, woodpeckers not usually actice after dark, must be a trap". Kinda figured a dinner bell is a dinner bell to them.
Coyotes are smart but I don’t think they comprehend things like that. They hear distress and go for it.

Back