Anyone using a 22 GT?

I have been seeing this hot little round gain some traction, and was wondering if anyone has a rifle chambered in it, yet. Just wanted to hear some personal experiences. This interests me for my next AR15 build.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jwebster34I have been seeing this hot little round gain some traction, and was wondering if anyone has a rifle chambered in it, yet. Just wanted to hear some personal experiences. This interests me for my next AR15 build.

You realize it has a .473" case head?

Come on Al, we all know a 308 bolt fits a small frame AR!!!

OP if your wanting something fast in a small frame AR there's a few options much better than the gay tiger.

22x6.8, 6x6.8, 6hagar all come to mind.

There are companies that make .308 bolt faces that work well with the AR 15 carriers.

My 30 Sabercat is one of them that I make my rounds using 6 Dasher and 6 GT brass and both cases have a larger case volume than the 6.8 case.

However, if the OP plans to run light weight bullets than I agree that the 6.8 variants are a better choice, especially if barrel life is a concern.

Originally Posted By: Kino MCome on Al, we all know a 308 bolt fits a small frame AR!!!

OP if your wanting something fast in a small frame AR there's a few options much better than the gay tiger.

22x6.8, 6x6.8, 6hagar all come to mind.

Thanks for the heads up. Is this based on better ballistics, reliability, ease of reloading? Just curious. So far the first two posters don't seem to be giving an answer based on the question either.....

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGThere are companies that make .308 bolt faces that work well with the AR 15 carriers.

My 30 Sabercat is one of them that I make my rounds using 6 Dasher and 6 GT brass and both cases have a larger case volume than the 6.8 case.

However, if the OP plans to run light weight bullets than I agree that the 6.8 variants are a better choice, especially if barrel life is a concern.

I was thinking of running bullets from 55-70 grain. This is just an exploration at this point.

Originally Posted By: alfOriginally Posted By: jwebster34I have been seeing this hot little round gain some traction, and was wondering if anyone has a rifle chambered in it, yet. Just wanted to hear some personal experiences. This interests me for my next AR15 build.

Seems to me that the 450 Bushmaster/458 Socom bolt seems to cycle this round reliably...

Originally Posted By: jwebster34Originally Posted By: alfOriginally Posted By: jwebster34I have been seeing this hot little round gain some traction, and was wondering if anyone has a rifle chambered in it, yet. Just wanted to hear some personal experiences. This interests me for my next AR15 build.

Seems to me that the 450 Bushmaster/458 Socom bolt seems to cycle this round reliably...

It's all about pressures.....

The 450 is limited to 38,500 PSI

The 6.8 case is around 15,000-20,000 more.

Originally Posted By: alfOriginally Posted By: jwebster34Originally Posted By: alfOriginally Posted By: jwebster34I have been seeing this hot little round gain some traction, and was wondering if anyone has a rifle chambered in it, yet. Just wanted to hear some personal experiences. This interests me for my next AR15 build.

It's all about pressures.....

The 450 is limited to 38,500 PSI

The 6.8 case is around 15,000-20,000 more.

Well that's something I didn't know. Do you think the bolt will just wear out quicker? I spoke with the gentleman who owns Specialized Dynamics Rifles and he built an AR15 in 22 GT. Has 500 rounds through his so far with no issues. He's using a 450 bushmaster bolt.

There's only so much meat on an AR-15 bolt to open them up.

223 - .378" base diameter.

6.8 - .421"

6.5 Grendel - .441"

6 GT - .473"

My buddy is running a 22 GT on a bolt action rifle. He absolutely loves it. It is a screaming little round for sure. That said, it is on a bolt action rifle (rem 700 clone).

Case head pressure and bolt thrust pressures are both working against you. As far as operating within the pressure constraints of the platform. A 22 grendel or 6 Grendel would probably serve you better and have greater longevity of the equipment.

Back