Another one 02/13

Spurchaser

Went out last night again with my son. He had an older gentleman at his work that wanted to go and I was all for it since he had more experience than us.
First stand I called and nothing. Second stand he used a call, not sure what, and nothing. Third stand was flooded out. Fourth stand he used a Lucky Duck and the first howl got answered close. He switched it to “experienced coyote” or something like that and they pretty much announced their arrival. They went silent and I was watching the area they last called at us and my son was watching the harrowed field.
One hit the field and my son announced it and I told him to shoot already. He did and the coyote went down.
After the shot another bolted across the field and took a hard left away from us. We both missed and looked back to the downed coyote that was no longer there. This joker folded at the shot and was gone. Luckily it was an easy track job.
IMG_8020.jpeg

This is our third time out and a coyote each time.
Now this is where I have some questions and where I think we’re going to change some things.
If you hear nothing after the initial howls and yipping, do you stay or move on. We have yet to kill anything where we didn’t hear something right from the start. We’re giving it a solid 30-40 minutes sometimes.
I think next time out we’re going to run and gun. Set up and if no response, move on.

Now next question, all three coyotes have been males. Are they just the first in and it just their unlucky night? Or are males always the aggressive ones? Would “male sounds” outproduce female sounds now or does it matter. There’re 3 widowed coyotes out there now.

And lastly, that Lucky Duck sounded sweet! I hope my Icotec sounds somewhat close sound wise. And that brings me to my final question…VOLUME. Those sounds sounded great but Lawd have mercy it was LOUD. I was almost thinking we might drive some away it was so loud. Do y’all keep the setting on max volume or tone it down?

Time wise, running and gunning has never worked for me. I would end up educating the ones that came in quiet. For me the 30 to 45 minute mark has always worked well. Add an extra five to ten minutes after the last call before you move. Nothing worse than getting up and seeing one staring at you before he takes off like lightning. There are just some coyotes that come in silent, go figure. As far as the males versus females, that is nothing irregular. My final toll for the year always has more males. I am just guessing, but I believe it has to do with the use of coyote vocals to appeal to the males during breeding. Also I believe the females are just a little more cautious. However, be warned, I am not a biologist. Congrats and good luck with your next set. Lord I love to hunt.

You will leave alot of coyotes out there if you run and gun no doubt.
I cant count the times that they come in quietly!

I would at least stay on stand for 30 mins and 45 mins if you can. I bet you will kill more that way.

Ive had both males and females very aggressive just depends on the situation.

With it almost denning time too have pups the females can be very aggressive.

Coyotes dont Howl softly! Turn that volume up on them coyote howls.

I think we all over think this coyote game and give them more credit and compare them to a human.

I would stay on stand for up to 30 mins and see if you have several show up late too the set and dont be afraid of volume on that ecaller.

Last edited:
Run-n-gun might be worth a try in your area BUT definitely does not work here in SW PA. Most of my kills happen between 30 and 60 min and come in silent. Lets get some vids out of that Thermion-haha.

Back