annealing

Good question !
I've been on the hunting and shooting forums for over 20 years now, I still don't know the best answer.
How often and how much heat will stir much debate.

Brass quality , how much you size/work your brass , hunting ammo vs benchrest , are all factors in the final answer.

I anneal every firing, before I size. The main reasons for annealing is brass life and consistent neck tension. Consistent neck tension not only enhances accuracy but also much more consistent velocity, lower ES/SD numbers.

Another benefit is it "speeds up" my reloading process. I wet tumble with stainless media. As soon as the brass is clean I anneal so it dries the brass and is ready to size and load.

Since I started annealing I immediately saw an improvement on long range accuracy and I am sure that is directly due to the consistent velocity.

I cycle through hundreds of rounds and want all my stuff to be exactly the same so I feel its important to anneal every time. Until someone has proof that's detrimental I'll continue!

Same as these guys recommend and aligned with AMP’s research, I anneal every firing except for the first loading on new brass. I have an AMP MK II and it has been very easy and fast to use in my reloading process.

My 20p the difference between fired neck diameter and the bushing I use for final neck size is only 0.006-0.007. So while I can FEEL a slight difference seating a bullet in a case that that was shot twice between annealing and one annealed. I can't shoot the difference, especially with a thermal scope. I still believe there is a need to anneal, cartridge cases that the neck diameter is changed one or more calibers up or down from new manufacturing size especially.

I don’t do it scientifically like the guys above. normally, after every three or four firings, I take a cordless drill and find a socket that my case will fit in normally a deep well so the neck and shoulder sticks out only. I’ll count to 10 and hit it with my propane torch and drop it in a bucket of water. I can tell you my neck tension when seating bullets is very little. Almost feels to light of tension when seating to me after annealing o matter how little or a lot of heat us applied after playing with annealing over the decades. Be honest, I like the way, Boolits seat and brand new brass, or within the first three firing before any annealing because they see with a good amount of force. After annealing And shooting and repeating the process I never get as much seating force and it never feels consistent “by feel” I need to get some kind of force measurement on my seating handle,

Accuracy requires consistency. Your load process should be consistent. All of your cartridges should be identical clones of each other, as close as you can possibly get them within your knowledge and budget/equipment. Anneal every time, size avery time, trim every time, etc. Consistency includes keeping brass lots together and # of times fired. Annealing is easy, especially if you already have a machine, there's zero reason NOT to anneal every time.

There must be a difference between competitive shooting and hunting. I follow many forums to learn as much as possible but over many years have found annealing not to be absolutely nessasary under 4 or 5 firings.

Of course I don't shoot over 450 yards and my shots have been dead on for game and steel.

So I think requirements differ between disaplines.

Back