3-4-24 Male

hunt0168

Had to throw the works out there to get a pair to show up last night. Warm and pretty gusty but with rain on the way decided to make a couple sets. First set was dead. Went to a different location that would work for southeast wind and let me get some relief from the gusts. Downside was the 400 yard trek across cut corn stubble to get there! Started with some rabbit for a minute or so then went into some MFK Lone howls. MFK Pair Howls. A little quiet time. Another series of more excited sounding MFK pair howls. A little more quiet time. A little bit of some fight sounds. Went through all 3 Foxpro Snowshoe hare sounds and then right into Foxpro’s Grey Fox Fight and let it rip for a few minutes. I scanned to find a pair slipping in on the downwind side a couple hundred yards out. Guessing one hit my track or caught a whiff because by the time I got on the gun there was only one and it was headed to the call. I muted the call and when I had a shot at 100 yds I toppled it with the 204 Ruger and 40 grain NBT. Nice male. Fairly young. Pup distress for a bit after the shot didn’t produce its mate. The girls rarely fall for that!

Well, throwing the works, worked. You never know what might get a response. Nice looking rifle and scope.

Well, throwing the works, worked. You never know what might get a response. Nice looking rifle and scope.
That’s true… you never know? I’ve hunted that spot for years and never had them come from that direction as well so you never know where they’ll come from either!

Gun is a Browning X-Bolt in 204 Ruger. It’s a shooter. Scope is a RIX Leap L3. I really wish I had gone with the L6 640 version but I was a little nervous about plunging into a brand new scope line. Hindsight is always 20/20! It’s honestly fine for where I’m at and my hunting style.

Great hunt there. Sometimes you just have to grind it out!
What scope rings needed to mount that scope?
Depends a bit… The Leaps have a pretty bulbous turret section so to get the lowest mount I had to go with 2 piece weaver bases and a set of 30mm Warne High rings. I had a Talley 1 piece piccatinny base on there and would have had to go with extra high. The barrel on this model has a slightly heavy contour. Lighter contour barrel may allow medium rings but I think it would be really on the edge? Just a guess?

Thanks for your reply, I like to have lowest possible mount and like most of us I have a lot of spare rings that did not make the cut.

Nice post!

I love the 20 calibers with 40 gr bullets for coyotes!

Im either running my 22-204 or 20 TAC at night on these coyotes here.

Both will lay a coyote out quick!

Back