3-13-24 Female

hunt0168

Went to a property that I’ve only called twice this year. Pulled in this little gal with rabbit distress after a bunch of vocals failed to produce. More correctly, Snowshoe Hare distress. I’ve probably killed more coyotes to snowshoe hare than cottontail over the years. Gotta drive at least a half hour to find real snowshoes!

Went to a property that I’ve only called twice this year. Pulled in this little gal with rabbit distress after a bunch of vocals failed to produce. More correctly, Snowshoe Hare distress. I’ve probably killed more coyotes to snowshoe hare than cottontail over the years. Gotta drive at least a half hour to find real snowshoes!
Use snowshoe here in S TX when cottontail and/or jackrabbit isn't working to change things up. It's probably worked 25% of the time if I had to guess and last time a snowshoe was seen down here was never.

Use snowshoe here in S TX when cottontail and/or jackrabbit isn't working to change things up. It's probably worked 25% of the time if I had to guess and last time a snowshoe was seen down here was never.
Same can be said here for Lightning Jack. It has caused shorter lifespans for a few here in NY as well. Distress is distress. I believe it often helps when you give em something they’ve never heard in their lives. But then again it just sounds like a rabbit to my ears? Hits on hunger and curiosity perhaps.

Last edited:
I believe it often helps when you give em something they’ve never heard in their lives. But then again it just sounds like a rabbit to my ears? Hits on hunger and curiosity perhaps.
Same here. Funny thing, when you try a sound they should be familiar with and it bombs completely. On one of the ranches I try to help w/predators, the ranch hands were having trouble w/coyotes decimating their chickens, so they brought in some guinea hens thinking they might help. Did you know that coyotes prefer guinea hens to chickens!? Sooo, I tried guinea distress and it was a total failure......go figure!

Same here. Funny thing, when you try a sound they should be familiar with and it bombs completely. On one of the ranches I try to help w/predators, the ranch hands were having trouble w/coyotes decimating their chickens, so they brought in some guinea hens thinking they might help. Did you know that coyotes prefer guinea hens to chickens!? Sooo, I tried guinea distress and it was a total failure......go figure!
Conversely, I have killed just a couple coyotes with Guinea distress and I know of none in proximity to where I killed. Just goes to my point I guess? It’s not one of my goto calls but if nothing else is working I’m not afraid to throw it out there.

2 nights-2 kills. good deal
I actually came sorta close to a second coyote last night but got busted. I setup just off a road that has a hedgerow/finger of evergreens that separates the road from the field. I let some vocals rip and got a response from across the road directly behind me. (Happens a lot to me! Lol) I ran through a couple lone howls and then pair howls and wouldn’t you know I scanned to the edge of the road at the end of that finger of trees and there stood a coyote staring into the field off to my extreme left! Left just happened to be the downwind. You can figure it out from here!

Last edited:
Congrats on your success. I called in jackals in South Africa with a jack rabbit hand call. Who knows what all will work with a hungry coyote.

Congrats on finally dropping them ! I know it’s been a rough season for you ! Mother Nature decided to replenish my coyote population by delivering some of the worst weather for me this year 🤬 !

Congrats on finally dropping them ! I know it’s been a rough season for you ! Mother Nature decided to replenish my coyote population by delivering some of the worst weather for me this year 🤬 !
It certainly was not my best year for dropping them Mick! Things have for the most part straightened themselves out! Fingers crossed it stays that way. I’m still not perfect though… Have you seen my “Swing and a miss” thread? Lol… Work in progress!

Weather for the most part has been awful here too. If it isn’t raining it feels like a hurricane is rolling through? Crazy weather for sure!

Back