3-12-24 Male

hunt0168

Hunted a fresh property tonight that I just recently got permission to hunt coyotes on. First time in. Hiked in about an hour after sunset. Set out the Foxpro X2S about 60 yards and waited a couple minutes before throwing out some rabbit distress on volume 14 for a couple minutes with no takers. Waited a couple minutes and threw out MFK Boone C’mere Lonely howls and before the sound finished I had a pair of hard chargers screaming in about 200 yards out. I muted the call and just let them roll in. At about 90 yards the lead coyote started fading left to try to get downwind of the call while the second kept coming straight to the caller The lead coyote was huge in comparison and I knew it was the male. It offered a nice broadside shot about 100 yards out so I took it. It dropped, spun and tan about 8-10 yards before tipping over. I jacked a shell and tried to get on the female but she made the woodline in a hurry. I hit Pup 3 and she came back out on a dead run to the caller but I couldn’t get her to stop. She hit my scent and really kicked it into high gear! She got in the woods and downwind of me and booger barked forever.

Big male. Definitely the heaviest I’ve taken this season. 40 lbs easy. Probably a touch more? 204 Ruger, 40 gr NBT.

Congrats. Are you loading your own round for the 204?
No. Factory loads. I have a decent stockpile of Nosler ammo loaded w/ the 40 NBT as well as a couple hundred rounds of HSM ammo loaded w/ 35 gr Berger FB Hollow Points.

The HSM has been my go to but I’ve had a few runners this year with them. I honestly just made the switch back to the Nosler Ammo as a test and to get my head back in the game. It seems to be working. Both rounds are great though.

40 is a fatty, congrats
Thanks. Mature males hit 40 pretty regularly around here. I’ve had females hit 40 a few times over the years. I used to weigh them all when I was looking for bragging rights. If fur is good and I bring home a big one I still throw them on a scale. This one didn’t ride home with me though. He was heavy!

Back