243 AR10 advice

dirtytough

I'm thinking of building a 243 upper for an AR10 that I already have. I have an Aero lower so will probably go with an Aero upper as well. I would like to try the new Hornady 80 grain ELD VT bullet in it. If that doesn't work/shoot well I would try smaller Vmax's. Use case. Killing coyotes that are called in. And if anyone has a 243 AR could they post up barrel length, velocity, and bullet?

Aero upper
SGT of Arms Fore end. (I like having a machined in Arca rail)
X Cal barrel. 18"-22", 1-8" twist, 3R. Rifle, or rifle +2 gas? Threaded for a suppressor.
BCG. I have a RCA BCG that if I send in to X Cal they will headspace the barrel to. So planning to use that.
SLR adjustable gas block.

Off the top of my head those are the main parts. I'm a noob when it comes to AR's.

Any advice on barrel length, gas length, scrap the entire project?

Regards, Branden

My dad's been using a DPMS 243 for like 25 years. 18" barrel, rifle gas length. 55 grain winchester silvertip. Its killed the shit out every coyote and deer he's shot.

My advice with AR's in general is to not get too cute with the gas system. No need for the +2 gas length and if you do go adjustable gas block, dont cheap out. If you adjust it too low the gun won't cycle on less powerful ammo or in extremely different weather from what you tuned it in, or if the gun is really dirty. Have the tools with you to change gas settings on critical hunts.

I have two 243 AR10’s. Both Aero M5 lowers. Both uppers are BCA. One 22” heavy stainless with the brake removed. The Other a 20” SOCOM styled barrel. I will be removing the break from that when I get around to it. Never ran any of my loads through a chronograph yet but they both shoot good enough with 55 and 60 green Boolits pushed around 4000 ft./s or more. Paid 289 for the 20 inch version at the time and probably 100 bucks more for the 22 inch stainless version at the time. Both have CMC single stage 2.5 pound triggers.

This is from the 20” lighter one with 60 grain Seirra HPs.

these are hundred yard targets below from the 22 inch stainless version along with 55 grain Nosler ballistictips. They’re the only two bullets I’ve tried in the uppers so far. The 20 inch version shoots the 60 grain sierra better in the 22 inch version shoots the 55 grain Noslers better. They both will shoot well under an inch with both projectiles with several loads. If I remember right, they’re both one in eight twists.

Here’s some old posts I did hear on them…

if you get one, that shoots halfway decent I’m sure it’ll be the cheapest route versus piecing together an upper.

Last edited:
My primary gun is an AR10 with an X-Caliber Barrel, headspaced to a Rubber City bolt by them. I have another identical barrel that I'm currently building.

22" DMR profile
+2" gas system
Click adjustable gas block
1/10" twist
416r stainless
Threaded 5/8x24

There's not one single thing I'd change about it. I built mine specifically for night hunting, suppressed, and I wanted fast and flat to 300 yards. If you are shooting 87s and less the 1/10tw is what you want. I'm running 55NBT and 58VMAXs, both shoot outstanding. The Nosler is definitely a better bullet, much less splash issues, sometimes you need to follow up with the Hornady on frontal shoulder/bone shots.

The new ELD VT bullets was designed because the Creeds and ARCs have long throats for high BC bullets. The 55-58s don't typically shoot well in them but shoot outstanding in the SAAMI 243 chambers. They should shoot great in a 243 but they definitely won't be as fast.

What is your intended use, that may change some suggestions???

I wish mine were one and 10 twists but beggars can’t be choosers when you’re buying a complete upper. That’s what took me so long to buy one is because it seemed every 243 complete upper I saw all came with faster twists. I just decided to buy one in a fast twist and and start handloading to see how it would group. I am definitely a one and 10 twist guy when it comes 243.

I also haven’t played with overall length either. I just loaded up some ladder tests. One of these days I’ll get around to playing with overall length adjusting the length bsck and forth by twenty thousands each or more with the best loads to see if I can tighten up my patterns. Figured for an AR they’re good enough.

@joe777 is he shooting suppressed?

@Dultimatpredator have you used them suppressed at all? I looked on BCA and dang they are definitely inexpensive. If a guy got a shooter like you got it would be hard to beat.

@Kino M I thought I had seen you mention somewhere you used a 243 AR. Your type of build is originally what I was thinking of. It would be for coyotes. Mainly at night with some day use. For sure suppressed which is why I was thinking +2 rifle gas and an adjustable gas block. I would like to shoot the 80 ELD VT since it has a lot better BC. But for night use the light weight bullets are probably best which means a slower twist than 1-8" for sure.

I appreciate the info so far guys.

No, I don’t own any suppressors unfortunately. I’ll have to get on that one day. Yeah I’ve got two of them that shoot good. The 22 inch version shoots the 55 grains the best in the 20 inch version shoots the 60 grain hollow points better I tried both bullets in both. The 22 inch heavy barrel shoots just a hair tighter groups. I’ll have to get out and try a few more different bullets. Plenty of bullets laying around. I just have to load up some wider tests. It just hasn’t been on my priority list lately to get it done. I have a bunch of 70 grain nolser ballistic tips I want to try next. The stainless one on the left is the 22 inch heavy barrel version and it actually looks shorter cause I took off the goofy looking muzzle brake that came with it. The 20 inch version. I’ve got us unscrew that universal one and get a threaded cap for it to. Not a fan of muzzle brakes on AR’s. They’re stupid and loud. The only thing I have a muzzle break on right now is my 375 rum and it needs it if I’m gonna go out and target shoot.

@joe777 is he shooting suppressed?

@Dultimatpredator have you used them suppressed at all? I looked on BCA and dang they are definitely inexpensive. If a guy got a shooter like you got it would be hard to beat.

@Kino M I thought I had seen you mention somewhere you used a 243 AR. Your type of build is originally what I was thinking of. It would be for coyotes. Mainly at night with some day use. For sure suppressed which is why I was thinking +2 rifle gas and an adjustable gas block. I would like to shoot the 80 ELD VT since it has a lot better BC. But for night use the light weight bullets are probably best which means a slower twist than 1-8" for sure.

I appreciate the info so far guys.

Not suppressed. I'm sure he could slap one one on and the gun would work. Back pressure would probably be a bit high.

If you're gonna go down the rabbit hole and try to maximize suppression, then i absolutely would mess with an adj gas block, etc.

Yeah, mine have the factory blocks on them. I never messed with them. My POF has the adjustable twist but I’ve never messed with it because it has a pinned break being it’s only 14.5”. I never installed an adjustable gas block, but I would assume it can’t be hard.

The nice part about Bear Creek Arsenal is if you get an upper and it doesn’t shoot worth a darn I don’t think they have the minute of angle guarantee anymore but they told me if I had an issue where it wasn’t shooting worth a darn to send it back in and they would swap it out. That was the last conversation I had with them, which was probably two years ago. I would assume they’ll still swap out an upper if you get one, and it doesn’t shoot worth a darn. They’re pretty easy-going to. All I had to do was call up and they instantly send you a return label on their dime. For the price you can’t beat them. It literally cost the same for a an entry level .243 barrel from a few other manufactures as it does for a complete upper from BCA.

also, the ones that I have have both milled uppers versus the forged uppers they offer. The milled upper looks and seems to fit a lot better cosmetically to the Aero M5 lower. The lines just seem to look like they line up with the lower vs the forged versions.

Last edited:
I do worry if I add a suppressor to a normal rifle gas length I might have issues shooting the light bullets fast.

$300ish is tempting though to try.

Well, I just googled “ cheap adjustable gas blocks”. It looks like there’s a few out there for 28 to 31 bucks so you don’t have to spend an arm and a leg on an adjustable block if it needs to be replaced. My guess is any AR running a suppressor probably needs an adjustable block. I never replaced one but I’m sure they’re pretty easy to do and doesn’t take very much talent or time. It’s either that or keep a few different buffers and buffer springs in stock for different loads… if it’s even needed.

Last edited:
It’s been a while since I’ve looked at these AR’s. The 22 inch heavy barrel that’s ”re branded” as an AR stoner from midway is a one and nine twist the 20 inch lighter version is a one in eight twist. I actually had to Google the old upper and barrel in the 22” version that is an old discontinued listing Midway to check the twist.

Last edited:
Back