220 swift 62gr ELD-VT

My swift is at the gunsmith right now getting threaded. But i had a box of 100 62 grain ELD-VT show up today. I'm going to start cooking up a load tonight to test out on it. Has anyone shot this combination yet. Any info?

What's the twist on your swift? Unless you have an 8 twist don't even bother...99% of Swifts come with a 14 twist and they definitely will not stabilize.

I have shot some of the 62 VT's in my 22-250, Tikka, 1-8" with good results. Since you have also shot them in your 22-250, did you chrony them, and what powders did you try? I know this doesn't answer your question, but hope you don't mind me asking.

I have shot some of the 62 VT's in my 22-250, Tikka, 1-8" with good results. Since you have also shot them in your 22-250, did you chrony them, and what powders did you try? I know this doesn't answer your question, but hope you don't mind me asking.
So I used varget at 33 grains and it liked it the best

It is a 14 twist, and I know its recommended for 8 twist. But I successfully loaded these in a 1:12 twist 22-250. 1/2" group. So I am going to give it a shot and see what happens.
Since you already shot them in the 22-250 it seems like you have a good starting point since the swift has more capacity.

Since you already have some you're aware those new 62gr ELD-VT's are VERY longggg (1.055 OAL) for their weight. I'm very surprised they shot very well in a 12tw. Even, if, a person could get them to shoot decent in 12tw it'd be at a substantially reduced BC

I’ll be curious to see how they shoot for you. I have had very good success with shooting lighter bullets in fast twist barrels. I was told by many posters light bullets won’t be accurate. lol. Just try a bunch of powders and a lot of ladder testing. Keep us posted with your results. When your hand loading you can seat the bullet in as far as needed to feed and cycle. Might not be optimum but I bet you can get acceptable groups. You won’t know till you try and all you’re gonna do is get posts telling you they won’t work because they “read” it needs a faster twist. Once you go out and “prove” it does or doesn’t just post some pictures of your groups. I’ll be curious myself on how it dose. Worse case scenario your out a box of projectiles, a little power and primer inventory, and time.

Last edited:
Back