22 Hornet

Chick

Where I am hunting, there are cows everywhere you look. I am using a 22 Hornet be ause I don't want to release the energy of anything bigger. Well, I loaded some of the 35 gr Hornady V Max. Right off the bat, I knocked a coyote down at 100 yards. He got up, danced on a circle biting at his shoulder and got into the brush before I could anchor him. 2 hours later, I called a pair in. Dumped one at 40 yards. He kept getting up. Ended up shooting him 3 times, and still had to put one in his head when I got to him. The Hornady 35gr V Max will not be going on a coyote hunt with me again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240330_084439_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240330_084439_Facebook.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 26
I’ve got a K Hornet, and 40 gn Nosler BT do the job on fox’s.
i reckon a 40 gn or 45 gn SP or HP would do better on knock down!! as a coyote is much bigger.

I normally use Nosler 40gr Ballistic Tip, and they did ok, but tp seat the bullet right off the lands, they won't fit in the magazine. SAAMI gives the manufacturers the specs for the chamber. Then gives specs for factory ammo. Factory ammo is way short of the lands. And on my old Savage 340 Series E, if I load them as long as I can to fit the magazine, then a live round will not eject out of the receiver because the tip of the bullet hits. This specs need to be altered.

About 60 years ago I lived the California Sierra Nevada’s. Shot a lot of coyotes, used nothing but the factory Winchester 45 gr HP in an old ratty Winchester 43. Most shots were 100 or less, never had a runner, never more than one shot, dropped in their tracks

Back