22 ARC

William Suter

At the club today, I found an empty 22 ARC case. When I got home, I compared it to one of my 6.5 Grendel cases and if I'm not out of line, it looks just like a necked down Grendel case. I haven't done any research on the Arc so go easy on me, but is that correct? What little I just read was it was basically developed to get 22-250 velocities in an AR platform rifle.

It is a neat little case

From what I’ve heard that’s the idea is 22-250 speeds in an AR, however It’s my understanding that they aren’t achieving these velocities out of standard barrel length AR’s

Just is capacity will limit it to less than a 22-250. The 22 ARC is little more than a 223AI or 22-204. It's redeeming attribute is that it will run through an AR and can use heavy bullets that don't need to be seated into the powder column.

It might be the ticket for building a svelt little calling gun on a Mini Mauser, Mini Howa or 527, but if your building on a standard short action you don't have to seat deep or need a short cartridge and the 223, 22-204 and 22-250 will fill the bill with readily available actions and components.

I was talking to a friend at the reloading shop and he mentioned waiting on the Ruger Gen II in 22 ARC, or to find one?? Then I was at the club doing some work and found the case on the ground. I noticed right off it looked a lot like my Grendel and when I got home I did a visual comparison and thought, this is just a necked down Grendel case. Then doing very minimal research pretty much got me to where I'm at now. LOL, not needing one or even wanting one. I don't own or shoot AR's and have 223's and a 204 and a 22-250AI. Not much need for another 22 caliber rifle.

Back