Ballhead or leveling head?

Chance Doane

Whats your favorite head to run on your tripods?

Pros and Cons?

Ive run both a Ballhead and Leveling Head and find myself back and forth on them depending on my terrain.

I have alot of steep Ground here in SouthWest Virginia when hunting Predators!

I primarily use an RRS Anvil-30 ARC and prefer it over a traditional ballhead. I like the quick and solid locking lever without any extra knobs. I tried a friend’s RRS TA-2U-SC leveling base and it was nice to operate with the locking mechanism around the apex of the tripod. I’m sure the Anvil-30 provides more range of movement vs the leveling base but I never felt like I was limited in any way with the leveling base hunting flat to hilly terrain.

I prefer the leveling head. Should I need more of an angle that the leveling head does not provide, a simple twist of one tripod leg will drop it down or raise it where needed. So far I haven't had to do this, I've practiced it, but haven't had to do it.

In my terrain i very, very, very seldom have my legs the same length. And with responding critters the ballhead is a necessity. I tried a friends LH (he uses for his spotting scope) and not enough range. Don’t want to mess with changing leg length as lots of times my shot opportunities are fleeting.

Currently my goto is the Fatboy Levitate Leveling Head. Honestly it's simple physics, a leveling bowl is the most stable head made because it's lower mounting position. Most of the terrain I hunt it has plenty of travel. Just this season I killed coyotes in 5 different states from the Rockies, Nevada and the midwest.

That said, if I needed more travel the Anvil 30, Leophoto MA-40X, Leophoto MH-X and Fatboy Invert 60 would be my short list.

Kino have you ever used any of the RRS leveling bases ? I’m currently using the same Fatboy tripod and leveling base you have and like it very well.

I’ve owned and used the Anvil and BH55-SC.

I sold the Anvil but still have the BH55 that I’m thinking of selling and getting another fatboy and leveling head for a spare when my sons or grandsons go with me.

Kino have you ever used any of the RRS leveling bases ? I’m currently using the same Fatboy tripod and leveling base you have and like it very well.

I’ve owned and used the Anvil and BH55-SC.

I sold the Anvil but still have the BH55 that I’m thinking of selling and getting another fatboy and leveling head for a spare when my sons or grandsons go with me.

I haven't used their leveling base either, only the Anvil. My shooting partner at PRS runs an Anvil and he has it at the range always. As I've stated many times there's nothing more stable to shoot from than a leveling head and the Levitate is my current favorite.

The chief leveling head. Similar to the fatboy head.

Attachments

• IMG_8837.jpeg
    IMG_8837.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 37
Yeah i have a Two Vets tripod with DLow 55 ballhead and RRS Clamp and i also have the Warrior tripod and Chief leveling head ive had for alittle over a year now!

Looking to get a inverted set of legs and maybe another leveling head from a different company.

I will probably end up selling one of my tripods as i dont need 3 sets!

Better to go with a two or three piece tripod ? I want to try one of the leveling heads.

I put my tripod together with some help using a camera ball head (Acra) with carbon fiber 3 piece tripod, but never used a 2 piece. It's been a good setup as I shoot steel with it out to 400 yds and killed more animals than I can count, but since my grandson wants to go, I need another setup.

Attachments

• 6x68 SPC Complete Build.jpg
    6x68 SPC Complete Build.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230123_043441.jpg
    20230123_043441.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 14
Never seen a 2 leg but if you stand all the time as Kino does I am sure it is the best. Me, I sit most times on a swivel chair and sometimes on a Les Johnson seat so my tripod needs to get short and I can't see a 2 section doing that without spreading the legs way out which on my terrain could be difficult and/or disastrous. I am guessing you stand as most on here do but just thought I would throw this out.

Never seen a 2 leg but if you stand all the time as Kino does I am sure it is the best. Me, I sit most times on a swivel chair and sometimes on a Les Johnson seat so my tripod needs to get short and I can't see a 2 section doing that without spreading the legs way out which on my terrain could be difficult and/or disastrous. I am guessing you stand as most on here do but just thought I would throw this out.
Mike is exactly right, I do stand and my tripod never gets collapsed all night long, simply close the legs and in the truck it goes.

For those guys that sit they may find a 3 or 4 leg section may work better for their needs. I do sit when day hunting but I use shooting sticks for that scenario.

Talked with the owner of Fatboy. As soon as he gets the Levitate Leveling Head back in stock, I'm going to buy it with the two section elevate tripod.

Kino, Thanks for the help even though you are lighting my wallet!!!!!

Last edited:
Talked with the owner of Fatboy. As soon as he gets the Levitate Leveling Head back in stock, I'm going to buy it with the two section elevate tripod.

Kino, Thanks for the help even though you are lighting my wallet!!!!!
Kino is giving good advice ! I’ve had a Fatboy and Levitate head for a little over 6 weeks now and it’s far superior to the other tripods I’ve used.

Back