Baiting

I went hunting a few miles from the house this morning and of course this one came by and stole a roadkill rabbit on my bait site about 300 yards from my front porch.

b4443b57-.jpg

Yep! More than once, I've been out calling and the wife will text me " beeper is going off", or will send me a picture of my live camera on one of my bait sites.
Right place, right time....

Good job, Week. Looks like the trip paid off.

Stay after that one, doublelung.

Right place at the right time for sure. There have been numerous times I wanted to hunt but couldn’t for one reason or another, and sure enough one showed up.

I have not been on in a couple of years. I did set up two bait stations in early January. After a couple of weeks of not much action I had a good run for two weeks killing 5 coyotes 4 were females. 4 were taken on the bait that’s 100yds from my home. I put out a road kill deer and placed a driveway alarm on the nearest tree. So far the largest is the male at 42 lbs. Not bad for a Maine coyote.

I have not been on in a couple of years. I did set up two bait stations in early January. After a couple of weeks of not much action I had a good run for two weeks killing 5 coyotes 4 were females. 4 were taken on the bait that’s 100yds from my home. I put out a road kill deer and placed a driveway alarm on the nearest tree. So far the largest is the male at 42 lbs. Not bad for a Maine coyote.
Can’t seem to add photos at this time.

Attachments

• IMG_1700.png
    IMG_1700.png
    433.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1676.png
    IMG_1676.png
    143.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1661.jpeg
    IMG_1661.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1652.jpeg
    IMG_1652.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1660.jpeg
    IMG_1660.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1650.png
    IMG_1650.png
    212 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1631.png
    IMG_1631.png
    577.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1619.jpeg
    IMG_1619.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 28
Week, I feel your pain brother. Scalloper, good to have you back. You were on a roll "in the day" and looks like you picked right back up where you left off.

Week, I feel your pain brother. Scalloper, good to have you back. You were on a roll "in the day" and looks like you picked right back up where you left off.
Yes, I moved to a lake house and one of my neighbors' (a warden) would not give me permission to shoot over bait from my house. I needed permission from anyone within 100 yds and he was 93 yds so I didn't kill alot for 5 years. I still have the lake house but I moved to a place on the ocean. I have a pasture 100 yds from the house to the ocean and coyotes regularly cross at night. I put a bait out and after a couple of weeks it started getting hit.
I still only use a red led kill light and still have no issues spooking coyotes.
Bang flop .243

Scalloper, glad you are back. I overlooked your post. Good that you now have a place to run bait. Five coyotes in two weeks is pretty darn good. Hopefully we will be seeing more photos of coyotes on the ground.

Yes, I moved to a lake house and one of my neighbors' (a warden) would not give me permission to shoot over bait from my house. I needed permission from anyone within 100 yds and he was 93 yds so I didn't kill alot for 5 years. I still have the lake house but I moved to a place on the ocean. I have a pasture 100 yds from the house to the ocean and coyotes regularly cross at night. I put a bait out and after a couple of weeks it started getting hit.
I still only use a red led kill light and still have no issues spooking coyotes.
Bang flop .243

Lake and beach house?

Do you need someone to inherit all of that?

Well folks, apparently a big miss two nights ago. Frustrating with the amount of activity, or lack of, as of late. Anyway, it is what it is.
.223 with 60 gr vmax at 170 yds. Rattler 35-384. Followed up with a search the next day to no avail.
Incidentally, last night at the exact same time, 9:30ish, I had another one in on the 170 yd bait. This time I had the .22-250 on deck. The coyote hung up
in some trees, then left the area, never affording a shot. Lol, at least I'm seeing something.
The weather, well, goofy. In the upper 60's low 70's last couple days, dropping down to below zero wind chills tonight. Then back to the 50's on Thursday.
I'm as confused as the coyotes.
Enjoy...

Back